Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
C'mon then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnierkt
"Look atcha now...all back of the bus and stuff..."

So invite me over all ready...

Johnnie (from the other side of Aaaala Baaama )

Awesome build dude
Haven't flown the 50" TL yet Johnnie, but flew some foamies the other day... (PC-9 rocks :-)... and the 'Corn.

We gotta keep up and get together more.... I'll be knocking out a Demon 40 the next day or two. Hope you'll call and come witness the "Slash and burn." Careful though... it's catching!

Thanks for the compliments... I'm proud of it. My wife even said she sorta liked it... and let me tell you... that IS a compliment

Chuck (also in Aaaala Baaama)
chuckand is offline Find More Posts by chuckand
Old Mar 07, 2006, 10:27 AM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
Yo chuck that 50's is sweet.
I am an old fan of the checkerboards so you got's my vote itsa 10'.
ck
From the man himself.... I will consider that a great compliment!

No checker-board on the Demon. I've got some ideas I'm kicking around though... I'll try to have it covered this weekend...

Just watch me.... I'm "in the zone"

Thanks,

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
Old Mar 09, 2006, 07:49 AM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
Watch out!

Yeah... better watch out now, kiddies!

I received my batteries yesterday.... Poly RC 20 C's (2S and 3S 3700's, THANKS Randy/Dynamo!). 50" TL will fly on 3S, then 4S. It balances perfectly with the 3S battery stuffed to the front of the bay. It is VERY close with 2x 2S's. They don't stack though, so I may need a couple nickels or so in the 2x2 configuration.

I should have some current numbers to share tomorrow morning. Weather is going south today, so no chance of a flight this afternoon. Maybe later Friday? This weekend for sure...

Cooooool...

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
Last edited by chuckand; Mar 09, 2006 at 09:37 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2006, 07:01 PM
The Original Slacker
Bristol, TN
Joined Apr 2005
768 Posts
Chuck that covering design is GREAT! I love it. The only thing my brain won't process correctly is it wants the checkerboard side to be the bottom and the white w/ racing stripe to be the top. Don't know why except maybe that's the way my brain figures it would do it. Great idea and I'm betting very visable in the air. Look forward to getting some airborn pics or some video. Keep it up Chuck and have fun with the maiden.

Clear skies...

-Dave
Pezzer is offline Find More Posts by Pezzer
Old Mar 10, 2006, 08:04 AM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
Comments and current draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzer
Chuck that covering design is GREAT! I love it. The only thing my brain won't process correctly is it wants the checkerboard side to be the bottom and the white w/ racing stripe to be the top. Don't know why except maybe that's the way my brain figures it would do it. Great idea and I'm betting very visable in the air. Look forward to getting some airborn pics or some video. Keep it up Chuck and have fun with the maiden.

Clear skies...

-Dave
Thanks for for kudo's, bro. I planned the 'board on the bottom (because it would be easier to apply....) but changed my mind when I thought of what would typically be exposed to me in flight... and decided to go top (I stay pretty much on the wing tips in the space I fly).

I fired it up last night with 3700 3S/6x4 and get 30.5A with the throttle pinned. That's my first flight config... so looks like I'm set.

Storms passed through last night, so I'm hoping for cool skies this afternoon...

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
Old Mar 13, 2006, 07:54 AM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
First Flight Report!

OK, so that was just to get you in the mood... Doh!

No flight to report due to weather. Mondo wind all weekend. I have no doubt this plane will fly well in any reasonable conditions, but I do not feel the need to "de bug" while fighting 10-20mph winds. Label me.... :-).

The weather did free me up to make some "Demonic" progress though... See my Demon 40 construction update!

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
Old Mar 16, 2006, 08:03 AM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
Weather still....

Still waiting on weather. I may get a window tonight after work... If I get any video, it'll be shot by my 11YO. THAT should be an experience .

At this rate... my Demon will be ready before I get my 50" 'lid in the air!

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
Old Mar 20, 2006, 12:55 PM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
Unbelievable 50" TL maiden flight!!

Initial flight configuration:
3S 3700
HET4
APC 7x5E
You know the rest of the details.... if 'ya been paying attention... 'ya slackers!

I finally stole the opportunity to maiden my 50" TL over the weekend! (well, I was awarded the time as a gift from my adorable wife for FINALLY doing some re-org in the garage...OK, she doesn't mind me flying and wouldn't have cared whether I did the re-org or not... but I feel less guilty robbing family time to play after doing some constructive bits over the weekend too....). Weather has been marginal, however we caught a break Sunday, as rain in the forecast didn't materialize... nor did the gusty winds we've been struggling with the last couple weeks. I guess it was meant to be, as JohnnieRocket stopped by for some DaZi diagnosis on the bench... so I had a camera man too! (sucker!)

It seems cliche' to use one word to describe an experience like this... SO I WON'T! I Couldn't find ONE word that covers it appropriately if I wanted to anyway!!

My paridigm of performance, speed, and handling has just shifted.... I really did not know what to expect from my 50"TL, and it is just as well. I would have been in much more of a hurry to get here!!! This really is a major re-write of what I expect from a model aircraft.... I see my previous squadron of "go to" planes sitting on the shelf a whole lot now...

Where to start? I guess I'll fill you in on the characteristics I consider outstanding according to my first flight experience with the 50" TL...

The launch? Hmmmm.... all I can come up with is "point and shoot." It goes where you point it.... right out of your hand. Roll on the throttle and there is no bad habit.... Rides on rails! Launch, landing.... high-speed, low-speed... it's all good...

Top of the list: With my 50" TL, speed no longer feels "frantic!" In comparison, my other wings (and other model aircraft) largely become progressively more difficult to handle... requiring a lot more work, stress, caution, etc... Wick it up with the TL... and... well... it just "goes faster." Nothing induced, nothing changes (well, OK, the faster the air goes over the control surfaces... the more responsive they are... but I have not found a down-side to that!). This, my friends, is a thing of beauty!

Trim? Nada... With the elevons adjusted to follow the contour of the top of the airfoil, I didn't have to trim squat... this wing is STRAIGHT and HARD! The 'glass tape and 3M 90 are the bomb... Light, quick, and easy application! As a package, I am simply astonished at the effectiveness of the airfoil and the control surfaces.... Gone are the days of 6 or 8 "beeps" of down trim to get my Unicorn trimmed for faster flight. 1 "beep" of trim on the 50" TL makes all the difference in the world... Lemme tell 'ya, the air is STUCK to this foil.... and the elevons... and ANY change in control/trim, etc, is immediate... This was very eye-opening to me! No line, no waiting...

Lessons learned? This is a tough bird... I know all too well! Adjust the motor mount the way Chris tells you to, otherwise... your first flight will be a little more exciting than it outta be... if you wanna call it "flight" (Brrrrrrrp... splat...). Also, when you are setting end points and dual rates, make sure the right/left settings agree (or disagree proportionately).... Even a percent or two difference as the result of fat-fingers will result in some fairly spectacular barrell rolls at unexpected moments! (ask me how I know!!). A touch or two of the iron, and no one is the wiser... unless y'all narc me out!

I have some video from first flights and am working on capturing/posting. Most of it is traffic patterns and landing as I do the "throttle" test and make small adjustments to the motor mount... but you GOTTA see the "straight as an arrow" launches and floaty landings... (gives me goose-bumps! Really! OK... so I'll consider getting a life really soon...) For being so smooth and fast, it really lets you get slow on landing! You just can't beat that combination of the TL foil!

If you can't tell by my enthusiasm, I am thrilled to pieces... Wanna know what's funny? I've not even THOUGHT about 4S yet! This was all on 3S power... and cruise at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle! (I am sure Ck is sitting back saying... "Yeah... whateva... Write me when you get a pair..."). This wing has some MAJOR potential... and I'll report on 4S VERY soon!!!

Demon on 6S? What was I THINKING?! Chris....? CHRIS!

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
Old Mar 20, 2006, 04:41 PM
BlueGrass Rules
United States, IL, Dahlgren
Joined Nov 2003
1,097 Posts
HooooWeeeee what a mouth full But I guess adrenaline will do that to a guy. Sounds like ya had a ball. Nice when a plan comes together, ey?
Look'n forward tosome vids.

Mando........
mando is online now Find More Posts by mando
Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:31 PM
Suspended Account
Utica Il.
Joined Dec 2002
4,222 Posts
Tis a thing of beauty when it all comes together

Randy
termite is offline Find More Posts by termite
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 21, 2006, 03:02 AM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2003
357 Posts
Hello,

is CK's video available yet? Which website should I go to to get it?

Can't seem to find a link anywhere and ritewingrc.com is empty at the moment
dimple is offline Find More Posts by dimple
Old Mar 21, 2006, 09:14 AM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
Vid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimple
Hello,

is CK's video available yet? Which website should I go to to get it?

Can't seem to find a link anywhere and ritewingrc.com is empty at the moment
If you make contact with monsoonrc.com or dynamoelectrics.com, I'm sure they can hook you up. I dropped Ck a note, so he may reply with instructions as well... you can send him a PM as "klique." That's his RC Groups handle.

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
Old Mar 21, 2006, 11:01 AM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
So is the HET 4 a mega 16/15/4 clone?
Meaning, can I run it at 30 amps even though it's rated 18?
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Mar 21, 2006, 12:09 PM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
Clone motor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel G
So is the HET 4 a mega 16/15/4 clone?
Meaning, can I run it at 30 amps even though it's rated 18?
Yep... The HET 4W is the one.

I measured mine at 30A with a 6x4. I've since installed a 7x5E and have not measured the amp draw yet. That's what I've been flying the 50" TL with. On 3S, it's adequate. I'll go back to 6x4 on 4S.

Randy at Dynamo has 'em, though I do not know if he has it listed on his web page. Fine piece of hardware for the $$ ($55 last I checked).

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)