HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2006, 09:09 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Discussion
B-25 Build Log - Flying Styro kit(Hobby-Lobby)

Ok, I am starting this thread for purposes of a build log for the B-25 and sharing information regarding this plane. There are at least 3 ppl on these forums that will be building one. Please concentrate all information here.

This plane will be similiar in build as the Bf-110c. There was a review and a build of that plane in the March issue of FlyRC. The reviewer gave some nice tips and added a section about installing retracts. I will use that review as a guide to building the B-25

Once I receive the kit, I will take pics of it and start the build. It should be here shortly.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2006, 09:22 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
The recommended engines are Axi 2212/34's. Although I considered those and almost bought them, I found that E-flight 450 brushless were a better buy in my opinion. They offer the same RPM speed as the Axi's, but can spin a larger prop. This might help with scale appearance, but a a top prop size of 12 x 6 for the Eflight, I don't see that as a problem. To my knowledge, the Axi's can spin an 10.5 x 7. Additonally, the Eflight are less expensive and come with the mounting bracket and hardware, where as the Axi's don't.

Another option are MPjet's. My LHS did not have any of those so I cannot comment on them. I suppose some form of a Himax outrunner would work too. I will also be using the Dx6 radio with this model so I wont have to worry about long antenna wires hanging in the wrong or dangerous spots.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:14 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,369 Posts
Can't wait to see some pics when this plane hit's US shores. I hope to have the funds on hand to pick one up when it does.

I'll ahve to look at that issues of FlyRC again. I remeber them talking about the retracts.

I'm liking the idea of the E-flite motor also. I have a couple of the smaller outrunners and they have been great for me and you can't beat the price.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:13 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
For additional assistance with building the B-25, there is also another review online here of the FSK BF-110c: http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4703

Tips from other twin FSK planes may prove helpful.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:36 AM
Edison, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
1,044 Posts
If the weight in the specs in that article are accurate, a couple of cheap BP/TowerPro outrunner brushless motors should do nicely.
grouchy1 is offline Find More Posts by grouchy1
Old Feb 21, 2006, 06:39 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Nov 2004
353 Posts
I'm looking forward to getting this kit and fitting it with retracts. I've noticed that some hobby shops online like the MPJet. I've used this motor with my Alfa frank and FW-190 and have seen others who used it with a three bladed prop.
williamciv is offline Find More Posts by williamciv
Old Feb 22, 2006, 03:18 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
grouchy,

Well, at this point cheap don't count. You need the best, most reliable, best power, and most reliable, and then, most reliable with the best power...

Kahlog, yep, those E-Flite 450's might be the way to go here.

This will be a labor of love on this one.....

So, what retracts are going in this bird?

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Old Feb 22, 2006, 03:23 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
I'm going the Superscale route on this one. Might be afraid to fly it...

Nah, might look into the vario 3 blade deal for this one as well.

Jim
Old Feb 23, 2006, 07:17 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot44
I'm going the Superscale route on this one. Might be afraid to fly it...

Nah, might look into the vario 3 blade deal for this one as well.

Jim
Same here. I will be doing as much detail as I can and will use 3 blade props if possible. Retracts will also be done, just haven't figured out how exactly to do three servos since the 3rd wheel is in the nose and will require a retract too. I thought having more then two servos on a channel could cause problems....if Im wrong or anyone has ideas about this, feel free to share. Although this will be using a 6 channel radio, I wasn't planning on using 2 channels for retracts unless theres no other way.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 02:19 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Kahlog,

Need to get my hands on the kit, and have a look see as to feasability here, might be air retracts rather than servo driven would be better suited on this model. Need wingloading data, shame the info is not in English.

Larry here on the zone, makes some light and small retracts, might want to look into his product.

Jim
Old Feb 25, 2006, 07:47 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot44
Kahlog,

Need to get my hands on the kit, and have a look see as to feasability here, might be air retracts rather than servo driven would be better suited on this model. Need wingloading data, shame the info is not in English.

Larry here on the zone, makes some light and small retracts, might want to look into his product.

Jim
I am not familiar with Larry. Do you have a direct link to a psoting he has?
Old Feb 26, 2006, 09:16 AM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
Check this post out.

Jim

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357419
Old Feb 26, 2006, 09:40 AM
Edison, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq

Are you familiar with Moe or Curly? How about Shemp?
grouchy1 is offline Find More Posts by grouchy1
Old Feb 26, 2006, 09:40 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Nov 2004
353 Posts
$200 is a little high. Then again, the kit cost itself is going to be high, so it's a perfect match.

I would like to go the superscale route as well which will make the gear doors an interesting challenge. Anyone thought about this?
williamciv is offline Find More Posts by williamciv
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:42 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamciv
$200 is a little high. Then again, the kit cost itself is going to be high, so it's a perfect match.

I would like to go the superscale route as well which will make the gear doors an interesting challenge. Anyone thought about this?
Darn it william, now you got me thinking about open/closing gear doors too!!!!!!! Arghhhhh.