Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 22, 2006, 03:52 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by treehog
meldown zone when two ezoners of the nimh and lipo camp get seats next to each other and the debate starts......................


Ralf
Well, I think they both have their uses.For example- Even though I have a voltage regulator for a 2s pack to 6 volts...I'll still use a nimh rx. pack...just because I don't need "one more thing" that could go wrong...
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2006, 01:51 AM
Registered User
epwierman's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,078 Posts
Lipo handling

All kidding aside, for a moment at least. Make this issue personal and start there.

Do you have Lipos? Where are they now? How are they protected? What if they developed a problem right now? What would be at risk in your home?

After thinking of this myself, I went to the 99 cent store a bought a bunch of stainless salad dishes, some large metal filing clips and made some clambshell style container for lipo storage. It's called the "lipo love lid".

I treat them lipos now, just I as I do the gasoline in the cans for the dirt bikes, with respect.

Have fun, take chances, push it - yes, but be safe about it where it makes sense.

Adopt and share this message of lipo love, and one day, we will be the victorious majority, harmonised lipo love festing at park flying gatherings around the world, demanding our suppliers to send us cells and packs in shipping safe containers.

Only then will we be able to safely go crashing our machines into whatever we like.

Have fun, and be safe!
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 05:12 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,260 Posts
Good advise! I myself, have the same fireproof safe I bought almost 2 years ago. Better than nothing!
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 05:23 AM
Brunswick, Ohio
BrunswickOH's Avatar
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Lithium batteries can be a huge risk to aircraft, if flight crews are not properly trained and start charging these things at incorrect charger settings they can cause the batteries to catch fire causing major problems inside the aircraft.

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 07:46 AM
tic
thunderscreech
tic's Avatar
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
An advisory circular should be published informing crews not to charge lipos while peforming airman duties. A notam should be published informing crews of areas with high lipo density traffic. I believe most of the old wiring has been replaced in aircraft that had it but we should always stay vigilant for the clear and present danger of people with lipos.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:08 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Dbox's Avatar
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,133 Posts
O.K.gyus ,you beat me in to it,here is my sad story.
I have had a back pain that day and ran to my chiropractor leaving tiny TP1360 charging without supevision.Simple forgot to unplug.Thanks God ,my son was at home and alarm detector did a good job.Result of explosion and fire you all can see on picture #2 it burned table thry the 8mm thick glass.Too bad I dont have pict of the battery,which became from 1360 size 13600000000000000000 size.
From now on I am using CERAMIC cookie jar,took rubber seal for fumes/in case of a fire/ to escape and charging all my batterys LOCKED inside.
After a little investigation,I figured what coused fire and explosion.
That was an AstroFlight charger's FAN covered with something on the table.
On the hot day charger ,without proper cooling,shortened and just kept charging fully charged battery,which could not take it no more .......
Damage- $129 AstroFlight charger,$48 battery,table still O.K.
Gain- experience of LiPo battery fire.
D...
Dbox is online now Find More Posts by Dbox
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:51 PM
Registered User
epwierman's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox
O.K.gyus ,you beat me in to it,here is my sad story.
I have had a back pain that day and ran to my chiropractor leaving tiny TP1360 charging without supevision.Simple forgot to unplug.Thanks God ,my son was at home and alarm detector did a good job.Result of explosion and fire you all can see on picture #2 it burned table thry the 8mm thick glass.Too bad I dont have pict of the battery,which became from 1360 size 13600000000000000000 size.
From now on I am using CERAMIC cookie jar,took rubber seal for fumes/in case of a fire/ to escape and charging all my batterys LOCKED inside.
After a little investigation,I figured what coused fire and explosion.
That was an AstroFlight charger's FAN covered with something on the table.
On the hot day charger ,without proper cooling,shortened and just kept charging fully charged battery,which could not take it no more .......
Damage- $129 AstroFlight charger,$48 battery,table still O.K.
Gain- experience of LiPo battery fire.
D...
Thanks for sharing. Good stuff when youa re able to do this, really helps others understand. VWD
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 04:48 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epwierman
Thanks for sharing. Good stuff when youa re able to do this, really helps others understand. VWD
Well...I've got one that's new to me, although not entirely unpredictable...

I've had several lipo fires...all due to puncture by screwdriver..to see what happens. Out of five tries with five packs, only two actually caught fire and were destroyed completely.
Last week, I did it again.This time however, I dissassembled the pack in the process so the individual cell material was exposed. Nothing I could do would make it ignite.
So...I gathered all the individual pieces together in a plastic bag, headed for the fire pit in the back yard, and the bag started smoking! Then part of it caught fire, but was not completely consumed.
So, the lesson here is: They are ALWAYS, even in a dissassembled state, very volitile. AND, should not be charged while on an airliner!
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:38 PM
Registered User
epwierman's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkens4
Well...I've got one that's new to me, although not entirely unpredictable...

I've had several lipo fires...all due to puncture by screwdriver..to see what happens. Out of five tries with five packs, only two actually caught fire and were destroyed completely.
Last week, I did it again.This time however, I dissassembled the pack in the process so the individual cell material was exposed. Nothing I could do would make it ignite.
So...I gathered all the individual pieces together in a plastic bag, headed for the fire pit in the back yard, and the bag started smoking! Then part of it caught fire, but was not completely consumed.
So, the lesson here is: They are ALWAYS, even in a dissassembled state, very volitile. AND, should not be charged while on an airliner!
I would include that rocket fuel that is un-extinguishable when ignited be banned from Plane travel, as an additional thought on safety. It's not rocket science, and I'm no "brain Surgeon" but doesn't that just seem like common sense?????A fire you can't put out, on an airplane?? Yea, sign me for that one!
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:53 PM
Convert!
rroback's Avatar
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
do you have gas in your house? likely, of course. gas can almost instantly ignite to, with an appropriate ignitor. Lipo's are the same. Treat them with respect and you'll be good. The big key with lipo safetly is never being away from the pack, while it's charging. If it swells, you can quickly get it away. That being said, in my near 5k worth of lipos, I've had one cell swell, and the reason was unknown. I left it in a workshop and found it 6 month later.

Rhett
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:38 PM
Battery Junkie
wrenwright's Avatar
Athens, GA
Joined Apr 2004
1,267 Posts
While I certainly don't have the vast experience with lipos that many do, it seems quite obvious that with certain precautions, they are fairly safe to use. It seems that if one takes an "all guns are loaded" approach and adapts it to the charging of lipos, it would be difficult to get into trouble. Instead of "I've taken a couple of precautions to lessen the damage in case the thing goes up", just assume the battery is going to ignite and then plan accordingly.
wrenwright is offline Find More Posts by wrenwright
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:20 PM
My name is Geng
soulys's Avatar
Ashburn,VA
Joined Dec 2004
741 Posts
love my thunderpower in my suprise 14 FAI setup.. insane power and i fly all day without charging.

vid here

Surprise 14 Vid version 3.0 (2 min 34 sec)
soulys is offline Find More Posts by soulys
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 06:04 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulys
love my thunderpower in my suprise 14 FAI setup.. insane power and i fly all day without charging.

vid here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF25NQVqNLk
I'm with you. Lipos are the present and future.
I loved my 5s/C50 monny, and am looking forward to my 8s/2Y surprise!
You got to love the consistant and high power levels.
I wonder if any "real" F5B pilots have tried a lipo equiped F5B model...I think I'd be willing to lend my plane out to be compared to a nihm setup.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 09:23 AM
modest-master's Avatar
Palm Bay, FL, USA
Joined May 2001
1,236 Posts
I am pure Li-poly, even my Transmitter has some in.

Zb/Esprit Model
modest-master is offline Find More Posts by modest-master
Site Sponsor
Last edited by modest-master; Mar 26, 2006 at 04:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:47 AM
TRP
Registered User
TRP's Avatar
United States, CA, Morgan Hill
Joined Jun 2002
3,687 Posts
Ohh! Transmitter Lipos... that's all I have left to convert over.

Do you sell transmitter lipo packs?

Ted
TRP is offline Find More Posts by TRP
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Hacker should be used in "E" Turbax supersluf Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 25 Nov 20, 2006 09:02 PM
Discussion BL for Shogun that can be used in T-Rex or MX400? brianchristie Mini Helis 4 Oct 04, 2006 09:17 AM
Cool Wanted - Receiver to be used in a Terminator HLG Skiboy Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 May 08, 2002 08:41 AM
Can a Marine/RV battery be used in a car? Ben74 Power Systems 13 Jan 31, 2002 01:34 AM
Can a folding prop be used in pusher config? MtnGoat Power Systems 2 Jul 26, 2001 09:44 PM