HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2006, 06:58 PM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,769 Posts
Help!
Quadra Engine Circa 1982

A friend recently gave me a fairly large collection of all kinds of rc stuff that had been sitting in his garage for years. He ran a small hobby shop for a base rc club when he was stationed overseas. One of the neatest things in the collection was this Quadra engine, which he bought for a 1/4 scale bipe that he unfortunately sold before he finished. As far as I can tell, it has never been run. It turns over and it seems to have good compression. It also has a motor mount and an onboard electric starter. Based on the date on a handwritten letter that is with the starter manual, I'd say it was purchased around 1982.
Does anyone know anything about it or where I can find more information? It probably needs new gaskets. There is a serial number, but no other numbers that I can see. I'd also like to know if this is a decent engine, or would it be more trouble than it's worth.

I've emailed US Q Engines, but I thought I'd ask here too.

Thanks.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2006, 09:05 AM
RRS
Joined Oct 2001
99 Posts
What info are you looking for? I have a Q35 I bought in 1981, and it's still in use (although I had it 'updated' couple years ago). Its now flying in my TF Stinson.

Dick
RRS is offline Find More Posts by RRS
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:24 AM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,769 Posts
Dick,

Thanks for the reply. US Engines never did respond to my email

The fellow I got this from confirmed that he never ran it.

Primarily I would like to know the model number, i.e., what to call it, like your Q35, and where to get parts and/or service.

Since it has basically been in a box since leaving the factory, I assume I should inspect the engine, including some disassembly before trying to start it, or what should I look at before I attempt to start it as is? Regardless of what I decide to do with it, keep or sell, I would like to know that it works.

Beyond that I'd like to know what size/weight aircraft this could power.

Thanks again.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Mar 19, 2006, 09:02 PM
RRS
Joined Oct 2001
99 Posts
I can'[t give you my engine ser # as the engine is fully cowled in my Stinson and the number is not visible. However, from what you have written it is probably the same vintage as mine was originally.

I don't believe US Engines is the place to try for parts. There are a number of locations that do service Quadra engines so should be the ones to contact for any service, parts, etc. When I decided to use my Q35 for my Stinson, I contacted (and returned) my 35 to Klaus Nowak at Aerrow, Inc (in Canada, at the time) as I hadn't run it for a number of years. He 'updated' the engine, completely going over it, etc (added new carb, timed, tested it, etc etc). It runs very nicely and easily pulls my Stinson around.

When I bought my 35 (1980) I had the flywheel 'balanced' by Dario Brisghella who specialized in balancing Quardra engine flywheels to lessen the vibration Q engines seem to have at the time. I believe Q has resolved the vib problems since that time and it isn't the big problem it was. However, you should have your engine's flywheel checked because if it isn't balanced (and I don't believe yours is) yours may exhibit more than normal vib when running.

This is getting a little long so will stop here and then continue on in another/new message.

Dick
Old Mar 19, 2006, 09:24 PM
RRS
Joined Oct 2001
99 Posts
Back again...

I believe Klaus Nowak has sold his business to a new company in PA, called US Quadra Engines. I would suggest you do a Google search on them as they probably have a web site amd can get a lot of info there as to what to do and/or expect; I do recall seeing some of their ads in magazines. too.

The 35 is a relatively heavy engine for it's power out. However, I have found mine very satisfactory for general larges scale flying and that it is very reliable. It would not be suitable fo IMAC type flying, etc. I first used it in a 29lb Sopwith Pup but found while flying it, it was under powered so later changed to my Q50. However, the engine is now a Q52 as I had Klaus update that one also. My Stinson (which has the Q35 in it) weighs 22-1/2 lbs. and runs a 20-6/10 prop. Oh, I also have a spring starter on my 35 (makes starting lots easier )

Hope this has given you some idea of what to expect should decided to do anything more with the 35. Good luck!

Dick
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:02 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Mar 2004
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhobe
Dick,

Thanks for the reply. US Engines never did respond to my email

The fellow I got this from confirmed that he never ran it.

Primarily I would like to know the model number, i.e., what to call it, like your Q35, and where to get parts and/or service.

Since it has basically been in a box since leaving the factory, I assume I should inspect the engine, including some disassembly before trying to start it, or what should I look at before I attempt to start it as is? Regardless of what I decide to do with it, keep or sell, I would like to know that it works.

Beyond that I'd like to know what size/weight aircraft this could power.

Thanks again.
Benhobe,

I have a Quadra 35 and had to research like you are. Check out Dick Bennett. I talked extensively with him about mine, and he helped me install one of his smoke systems. I made a large 18lb spad plane with it. Long story. It's difficult to fly due to fairly high wing loading, but it works. I tested a bunch of props with it and prefer either a 16 x 10 or 18 x 8 master airscrew. I can't get a good idle, and have to actually move a home made choke plate with the throttle. Maybe the carb is messed up a bit. Anyway, here's some info that may help that I have in my "collection".

Quadra engines (Dick Bennett very knowledgeable):
http://bennettbuilt.com/
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Q35/m_1418707/tm.htm (3/29/04, quadra settings 0.010 coil, 0.015 points (0.013 gives more RPM), 0.025 plug)
Ron Shettler was developer and manufacturer of Quadra engine
Jim Messer was first Quadra dealer
http://www.fly-imaa.org/imaa/hfarticles/engines.html (Engine tips)
http://www.ch-ignitions.com/ (ignition stuff)

Note the kill switch on the throttle linkage. I also have a manual kill switch wired in parallel. You'll need those. Everyone says not to tie metal from one of these engines to the servo due to radio interferance, but I haven't had any known glitches. It does go to a non-metal 90 degree arm at the engine, and maybe that's good enough. Be careful. I got an ignition module from Dick. I found it's easier to start the motor with the points, then pull off the wire to switch to the ignition module. Dick couldn't tell me what it's timing characteristics are, but it does give about an additional 100 RPM wide open.

Regards,
Brad

Oh, one more thing. Note the extensive use of Home Depot paint stirring sticks, 2x4s and coroplast!!!
Brad B. is offline Find More Posts by Brad B.
Last edited by Brad B.; Mar 27, 2006 at 06:08 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 01:59 AM
Joined Jun 2007
1 Posts
quadra engine question

Hi, I've just gotten on your site, had a question concerning the larger quadra power engines, I've had one for a number of years in a 8 or 9 foot wingspan plane, t-tail, low wing, can't remember the name, but never flown. What kind of gas do I run in these engines, regular 20% or mixed gas like in my saws? I've been flying and designing planes for over 20 years using smaller engines, but am clueless on this big one. Don't know for sure what model or size other than the flywheel says "quadra power" and there is "walbro" on the carb, it has a pull start, mag and spark plug. Hope someone can help me out. Thanks, Ryan-Portland Firefighter

email if you like at rossing6@peoplepc.com
portlandfireman is offline Find More Posts by portlandfireman
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:50 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,101 Posts
Run regular gas with 2 cycle oil mixed in. I think the usual ratio is about 25:1 or 4%. You won't require premium fuel for this small engine.
706jim is offline Find More Posts by 706jim
Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:59 PM
NM2K
Ringgold, GA, USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 706jim
Run regular gas with 2 cycle oil mixed in. I think the usual ratio is about 25:1 or 4%. You won't require premium fuel for this small engine.

------------

I used to run 32:1 gas/oil mix. But there is nothing wrong with burning 25:1 either.

I don't think the gaskets need replacing. If it has never had fuel in it, it should be good to go as-is.

Mine flew best with an 18x6-10 Zinger wood prop. While not a power house of an engine, they flew a Byron Pitts, Christen Eagle and Cap-21 with ease. Those were good sized models for their day (early eighties).

I would get rid of that flywheel on the tailshaft and fit it with a spring starter from B&B if you're elderly. You don't need the spring starter if you're younger and learn the drill. Mine used to hand-start fairly easily once I learned what it wanted in order to start.

Yours does appear to be a Q-35. I can tell by the little lump of metal on the very top of the cylinder head.

The electric starters were very heavy, by the time you added the necessary battery, starter motor and switching arrangement.

Ed Cregger
Artisan is offline Find More Posts by Artisan
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:41 PM
Pile it in!
Kalamazoo Mi
Joined Sep 2009
366 Posts
My Father was a rep for Quadra back around then. When i was a kid we went to many fun flys and rc tradeshows, swapmeets etc. He would set up his booth and sell Quadra engines and Clark Airscrew props! Awww my pops now we fly Electrics!!!!!!
Dannyrevs is offline Find More Posts by Dannyrevs
Old Oct 12, 2009, 07:15 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,373 Posts
I remember a modeller flying one of those in a Mr Mulligan many years ago. it was the first in our area and we were all fascinated with it.

The engine is likely OK, worst case is the carb may need new seals and a pump diaphragm. But if it was never ran, even that is likely OK.
You can visit most any small engine repair shop and they can get the parts for the carb or rebuild it as needed.
25:1 fuel to oil mix with regular gasoline is OK. You can get the 2 cycle oil for the engine most everywhere.

The magneto can make it a PITA to start, if you aren't used to starting them. I would suggest cheating and using a hand held spinner 12vdc starter unit. it is tricky to get it spinning fast enough for a spark by hand.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Oct 12, 2009, 01:47 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
A word of caution about using todays "regular" gasoline. Most of it out our way has oxygenizers added that can really mess up the insides of your carb and fuel system.

I have been using the new improved "Stabil" gasoline stabilizer, that has been designed to also mitigate the effects of ethenol on fuel systems. It seems to be working well.

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old Oct 12, 2009, 01:52 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
A friend of mine is using a Quadra 35 on a 1/4 scale Decathlon. It seems to work fine when he can keep it running. He is having a lot of trouble with the magneto ignition system. He is now awaiting a replacement coil for it.

Dick Bennett (B&B Engines), is the person to contact for info and parts for Quadra engines.

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce