HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2006, 01:17 AM
Illinois
Joined Apr 2005
1,342 Posts
Discussion
RCAP Ver 1.1- Ver 2 Development.

starting another thread regarding the testing and improvement of the RCAP GPS autopilot module.
hihptsi is offline Find More Posts by hihptsi
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2006, 09:59 AM
san diego,ca
Joined Jan 2006
242 Posts
subscribe
rclinks2002 is offline Find More Posts by rclinks2002
Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:16 AM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
Ordered my RCAP V2 board and parts kit from here : http://www.scalerobotics.com/store/catalog
Hovertime is offline Find More Posts by Hovertime
Old Feb 20, 2006, 01:46 PM
CHILE
Joined Feb 2006
15 Posts
Anyone knows how work this RCAP,
it is an automatic pilot?
Only navigation, no altitude hold?
it is an element of a autopilot?
the RCAP that you bought, is ready to use? Do you need another components?

MAGO
MAGO is offline Find More Posts by MAGO
Last edited by MAGO; Feb 20, 2006 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Internet Problem
Old Feb 20, 2006, 02:23 PM
Illinois
Joined Apr 2005
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGO
Anyone knows how work this RCAP,
it is an automatic pilot?
Only navigation, no altitude hold?
it is an element of a autopilot?
the RCAP that you bought, is ready to use? Do you need another components?

MAGO

The RCAP is a Waypoint navagating device that accepts a nema input from a Handheld GPS via Serial connection.the RCAP reads stores Tracks or Waypoints entered into the Handheld GPS via Manual means or Via Garmin Mapsource software once waypoints are made active in the Handheld and the RCAP autopilot is activated via a extra receiver channel and a switch on your transmitter,the RCAP will then Take full control of the Rudder and steer the aircraft to the next waypoint, during this time you have full control of the elevator servo to hold aititude, or let a copilot take care of that..there are 2 adjustments on the rcap board to adjust the servo travel and the agressiveness of how it holds an activated course.At this time there is no altidude hold function but given a few more people are willing to help an altitude hold will be in the works that will be a easy upgrade to the existing RCAP Version 2 boards.i have a fully functional rcap unit that has been ground tested and dialed in and seems to be working flawlessly i will be putting the RCAP through a series of tests on my UAV to find any flaws and hopefully address them.anyone with programming experience and electronics experience willing to help with a altitude hold please give me a pm we can get the ball rolling on this.

Thanks
Walter
Last edited by hihptsi; Feb 21, 2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 02:32 PM
CHILE
Joined Feb 2006
15 Posts
Thank you Walter.

It can be used with ailerons or only rudder?

MAGO
Old Feb 20, 2006, 02:40 PM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
I plan to test mine on RC truck
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:31 AM
Illinois
Joined Apr 2005
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Thank you Walter.

It can be used with ailerons or only rudder?

MAGO
it is recommended you use the RCAP on the Rudder channel,Although i THINK it would work fine set up on aleirons IF you were using 1 servo to control the Aleirons..in theory it will work but i have not tested it this way...
Walter
Old Feb 21, 2006, 01:03 AM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
No i doubt it, it would be out of control ....
Old Feb 21, 2006, 07:22 AM
CHILE
Joined Feb 2006
15 Posts
I think that maybe RCAP could be used with ailerons if would have an altitude hold device.
Because when the arplane turns with ailerons it will lose altitud. In that moment the altitude hold device will move the elevator (or speed up the motor) to hold the altitude and perform the turn without problems.
I am wrong?

MAGO
Old Feb 21, 2006, 01:24 PM
Twist n' Shout!
Joined Nov 2004
1,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovertime
I plan to test mine on RC truck
Let us know
Matt Dziubinski is offline Find More Posts by Matt Dziubinski
Old Feb 21, 2006, 06:09 PM
Professor of Wood
Nampa. Idaho
Joined Nov 2004
4,266 Posts
Quote:
I think that maybe RCAP could be used with ailerons if would have an altitude hold device.
Because when the arplane turns with ailerons it will lose altitud. In that moment the altitude hold device will move the elevator (or speed up the motor) to hold the altitude and perform the turn without problems.
I am wrong?MAGO
No, you are not wrong. It will work as you say. Everyone needs to remember this won't generally look the same as when you fly though. When we stand on the ground and slam full sticks to crank it around, we can't get that with the autonomous parts. The rate of turn needs to be limited and you have to give it enough airspace to work and be a little patient. More trainer like.

Dan
kd7ost is offline Find More Posts by kd7ost
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:37 AM
Illinois
Joined Apr 2005
1,342 Posts
ok i was thinking a little about the altitude hold function and come up with a couple ideas on its operation..it would be nice to utilize the 10 bit onboard ADC of the PIC 16F876 im thinking a max Ceiling of 2000-2500 Feet would be good enough i figure a motorola MPX5100 Pressure transducer given we use the max ceiling of say 2000 feet we could have a resolution of around 5 feet or less.id like to hear what you guys recommend what route we should go here.

the Existing Pic 16f876 could be reprogrammed with the altitude hold function
given there is enough space leftover..

basic operation for the altitude hold

power on: initializes (LED status),Calibrates/Zeros out (ground = 0ft AGL)

once activated (same switch that activated RCAP) Takes pressure sample and maintains Pressure at wich the autopilot was activated at.

pretty simple.id like to know what everyone thinks on this.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:56 AM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
Well it sounds simple All I can say that if I have a suitable pic programmer, and firmware file, I could probably burn it, and could also solder needed parts together, thats about it .....

One could use other ready to use stabilizing devices too...
BTW altitude hold is a good idea even using rudder, or for simple straight and level flight too.

Another thought I had for less power variation due to battery voltage changes comes from my heli flying - lets consider using governor mode for the prop.

This (with the right setup) would make sure RPM is constant during the whole flight.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 01:14 AM
Illinois
Joined Apr 2005
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovertime
Well it sounds simple All I can say that if I have a suitable pic programmer, and firmware file, I could probably burn it, and could also solder needed parts together, thats about it .....

One could use other ready to use stabilizing devices too...
BTW altitude hold is a good idea even using rudder, or for simple straight and level flight too.

Another thought I had for less power variation due to battery voltage changes comes from my heli flying - lets consider using governor mode for the prop.

This (with the right setup) would make sure RPM is constant during the whole flight.
i was thinking about the RPM function wich will be nice,input could be via GPS or via a Pitot-static type sensor,but one thing at a time though

Gov mode would be a good idea for a fix but would not gurantee a airspeed,but would work for the time being.
i could very easily go out and but a UNAV alt hold and be done with it but the point of this project is a learning experience hopefully some more people chime in who can provide a little help to getting this done.