HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2010, 08:26 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,106 Posts
[QUOTE=davylah;15300240]Just thought I'd chip in with my RAF C130K style Cargotrans. I'm currently building another one that I've stretched, and developed a 6 blade prop for. This one will be in the style of the RAF C130 J

Very nice davylah. Can did you buy the 4 blade prop?
Thanks
Jason
whatala is online now Find More Posts by whatala
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:36 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
756 Posts
Hi Jason,
Yes I bought the 4 blade props from Keith at KP Aero. www.kpaero.com I used the (38 85x45 pitch propeller pack, white, 1mm hole) I'm sure if you ask him nicely he'll send you a set!
Cheers
Dave
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Jun 12, 2010, 02:25 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,543 Posts
Dave,

Very nice 130K model...looks fabulous.
Prop for the J model is interesting. What are you going to power it with and how did you make it? Care to share?

Thanks!

David
RAFster
(with a Cargotrans in the closet unbuilt...)
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Jun 12, 2010, 03:04 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
756 Posts
Thanks man! Yeah the 4 blade props that KP Aero sell come with a 2 blade, 3 blade and 4 blade hub and 4 blades. You just clip the blades on and away you go. The 6 blade ones are basically 2, 3 blade props with the hubs machined down and the blades trimmed to shape. The stock motor with stock props draw 2.2 Amps static at full throttle, and my 4 blade K props draw 2.6. I've managed to trim the J blades and shape them to achieve 2.6 Amps also, which I reckon is still within what the stock mors are capable of. Especially since the current draw will drop as soon as there is any airflow over the props. I'll post some pictures of my 'J' as soon as it's done. I've just finished building the retractable mainwheel system.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 06:53 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Hi Jason,
Yes I bought the 4 blade props from Keith at KP Aero. www.kpaero.com I used the (38 85x45 pitch propeller pack, white, 1mm hole) I'm sure if you ask him nicely he'll send you a set!
Cheers
Dave
Hi Dave,
I visit the website. I saw in the picture, there are 4 props in the bag. Is is enough for the plane of 4 engines with 4 props. Does it come with the hub, or you have to buy seperate?
Thanks
Jason
Old Jun 13, 2010, 04:36 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
756 Posts
Hi Jason,
In each pack, you get 4 blades and 3 different hubs so you can make a 2, 3, or 4 blade prop. You will need 4 of these for your Cargotrans. Remember to get the white 45mm pitch ones.
Cheers
Dave
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:40 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,106 Posts
Hi Dave,
I ordered 4 packs and they are on the way here. Can't wait.
Jason
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:24 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,106 Posts
Hi Dave,
The probs came couple days ago. I have couple of questions for you.
First, did you paint your probs? Mine came all white color.
Second, did you drill the hub hold bigger for the motor shaft? The hole is very small.
Mine probs also look smaller than yours in the picture.
Thanks
Jason
Old Jun 22, 2010, 01:51 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
756 Posts
Hi Jason,

Yes I painted the props myself using Tamiya acrylics. I just painted the whole blade grey, then masked the red tip and painted it, then masked the white stripe and painted that. The black bits at the roots were just painted by eye.
I had to drill the hubs out to about 1.6mm as the other hubs offered by KP were 2mm which was too big. I would reccommend doing this slowly and carefully. I drilled a little bit from each side untill I was all the way through.
They should measure 85mm in diameter once you've got the blades on the hub, that's what size mine are.
I hope you manage to get them on and get flying, and don't forget to post some pics once you're done!
Cheers
Dave
Old Jul 06, 2010, 07:07 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,106 Posts
Hi Dave,
I got the 4 blades and hook them up. Looks nice, but no thrust. I think the pitch is much smaller than GWS 2 or 3 blades 5030 or 5043.
I think I have to get the next size to compensate the pitch.
Here are some pictures of 4 blades and 3 blades.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:42 AM
Crazy, not stupid
Zwolle, The Netherlands
Joined May 2007
951 Posts
Any pictures of the retract system by any chance? I have one underway (the 1.8 meter version made years ago by a Dutch fellow, Willem Bravenboer)

Still wondering what to do - keep it light so it floats or make it sturdy so its heavier but can fly on 4S in more wind..
sadkingbilly is offline Find More Posts by sadkingbilly
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:06 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
756 Posts
I don't have any pictures of my model, but these are the pictures I found and copied the design. It works very well and doesn't weigh a lot.

It uses the GWS Pico retract unit for the nose, and a GWS micro unit for the mains.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:17 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,466 Posts
Has anyone done a brushless coversion that has worked out well?
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:22 PM
Crazy, not stupid
Zwolle, The Netherlands
Joined May 2007
951 Posts
I bet someone has. All you need is a few 5 dollar motors, 4 dollar escs and some time. Might fly on 1/4 throttle
sadkingbilly is offline Find More Posts by sadkingbilly
Old Dec 28, 2010, 03:16 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleb View Post
Has anyone done a brushless coversion that has worked out well?
Yes, I have brushless motors on mine. Fly great.
Jason