HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2006, 03:24 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunracer
bump...how did the remaiden go?...i just ordered the quad kit and also am thinking of using 180 motors...i think the 180s are only rated at 6-9 volts so i'm not sure how long they will survive with a 3s batt...
just wait until Pat hits this thread again... He has some opinions on this subject now.
bsoder is offline Find More Posts by bsoder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2006, 05:04 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
Yeah, I guess I should have updated this a few weekends ago. The remaiden went very well (no video unfortunately). It flew with much more authority with the bigger motors and props. Before it would just putter along, but now it cooks (literally).

Alas, the new motors could not hold up to the demands of 3S lipos. And even though I did not fly at WOT at all (not even on takeoff), they did not last more than 3 flights. I think these were 6V motors, so I should have just stuck with 2S.

I did get a reading though. At WOT using a 3S 1320, I was at 29.7 amps on a fresh battery, and about 270 watts! These things were pulling so good I had some serious wing flexing going on.

On the last flight of the day two Sunday's ago, I had flown for about 5 minutes, landed when my cell phone rang, then took off again for one more circuit. Got airborne and started my initial turn when the motors quit. Got her back around facing me, but did not flare in time to keep it from digging in nose first. Damage was not too bad, and certainly is repairable, but I need new motors now. Live and learn I guess.

I'm pretty sure I'll get more 180's, but this time will stick with 2S. Maybe now I can use that non-lipo ESC with no worries as it has LVC set at 6V (good for 2S lipo).

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jun 12, 2006, 05:37 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
pat,

thanks for all the great info you've posted and sorry to read about the minor mishap with your model...i'm sure you'll get her back in the air in no time and probably flying better than ever...

i just ordered the quad version and will set it up like yours...180 motors, 30a esc and 2s 1500-2100 batt...once i get it, i will look it over and see if i can in fact build it into a functioning air tanker...if so, i will do a build thread...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Jun 12, 2006, 05:44 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
gunracer, are you thinking about building a plane for water drops? ie. firefighting model?
Old Jun 12, 2006, 09:21 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
c130 airtanker

bsoder,

that's what i'm aiming for...the plane will be built around the bomb bay and drop mechanism...i was planning on only dropping red fire retardant clay (red colored baby powder) but if i can figure out a water tight container system, i will also drop water...i need the model first to determine cg, fuse and wing reinforcements and how much weight she can carry...with the 180 motors and airframe reinforcements, i'm hoping to squeeze in a 6-8 oz payload...here are some pixs to get you guys excited...the last one is a p3 orion...even if the drop mechanism doesn't work, that's the color scheme i'm thinking of...enjoy and wish me luck!...
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:28 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
I LOVE the idea... I would really like to see it in action. here's an idea for you - fill a water balloon with whatever liquid/slurry mix you decide is the way to go, and put THAT inside your bomb bay, which would be sealed to the rest of the plane. Mount a pin or just a little piece of pushrod in such a way that when your servo opens the bomb doors, it punctures the balloon. That way you're not screwing around with gaskets, etc. inside the bay, and it's pretty easy to reload - just stick another pre-filled balloon in the bay and close it back up.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 11:37 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
gunracer,

With an upgrade to the 180's, you should be able to lift at least a 6oz payload. If you can live without a steerable nosewheel, you can eliminate the rudder. It flies fine on elev/aileron.

Pat
Old Jun 13, 2006, 01:35 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
bsoder,

i'm really digging the balloon idea...kit should arrive tomorrow...i'll get started right away...i'm really hoping this thing works and i will definitely get it on video...

pat,

to try and save some weight and reduce amp draw, i'm now thinking of using only 180's inboard and the 50s outboard...i would then only have to mod 2 nacelles...i'm probably ditching the gear...with the added power of the two 180 motors (never thought i'd ever use "added power" and "180 motors" in the same sentence...lol) she should hand launch easily and will look more scale in flight...anyways, once i get into the kit, i 'll have a better idea of where it's going...if i do start a thread, it probably won't be til next week so i can get things sorted out...and since this model has been covered several times already, the thread will only cover the mods and will include a video at the end...stand by...i'll keep you guys posted...
Old Aug 03, 2006, 12:57 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
OK, so we have FINALLY managed to download and digitize my maiden flight. See this link:

http://www.azwingnutz.org/video/20060318.C-130.wmv

And for one of my not so great take-offs, see this:

http://www.azwingnutz.org/video/20060324.C-130.wmv

I couldn't recreate that if I tried. Not sure what happened really, except maybe not enough airspeed before rotation. Walking back to the launch site after retrieving the plane I realized I took off downwind.

Pat
Old Aug 03, 2006, 03:38 AM
Italy, Rome
Joined Jan 2005
217 Posts
CRX inpact can I know what is your setup!? batteries and motors?!

Thank you!
Mike77 is offline Find More Posts by Mike77
Old Aug 03, 2006, 03:09 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
crx,

intentional or otherwise, that was the best inverted landing i've seen thus far...
Old Aug 03, 2006, 06:15 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunracer
crx,

intentional or otherwise, that was the best inverted landing i've seen thus far...
And what you don't know is, I've actually done that TWICE! The video was the first time, must have been ground effect or something.

The second time, I had accidentally put a 3S in it instead of a 2S (I'm so used to grabbing my TP1320 3S's, this was the only plane using 2S at the time). When I hit WOT on the roll out, one of the props came off just as I rotated (and was wondering why it had so much more power ). It immediately flipped over an landed inverted. No damage at all that time. Just CA'd the prop back on, put in a 2S, and off it went.

Pat
Old Aug 03, 2006, 06:23 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike77
CRX inpact can I know what is your setup!? batteries and motors?!

Thank you!
Mike,

Post #11 of this thread shows the original setup with the stock motors. Posts #54 and beyond describe the motor upgrade I did. I need to buy new motors as I cooked the old ones on 3S. I will try again using 2100 2S lipos instead.

Pat
Old Aug 03, 2006, 06:57 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
crx,

i also accidentally used a 3s and burned out two of the 180s i had installed...i've since installed the 130 motors ($3 each) from cox...they're lighter and cheaper than the 180s and i've seen reports of over 50 flights on them with a 2s batt...i go back and forth between the 3020 and 4025 props...both setups perform well...
Old Jan 18, 2007, 03:17 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Gunracer,

How are the 130's working out for you? Still in action?

Would you recommend getting them?

Thanks,
Ric
whowhatwhere is offline Find More Posts by whowhatwhere