HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2006, 10:13 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
Brian, I have had no problems with the S75s so far. I had them in my E-flite Cessna 182 which I have been dorking around the past month. Unfortunately, that glitch area on the west end of our "runway" at Freestone did it in last Saturday. No fault of the servos or the Hitec Rx though. Not so sure I like flying there much. Maybe that's why there are no other flyers there besides us.

Aerobatman, thanks for the kind words. Don't worry, there will be plenty of video during maiden. I should be able to post it up the same day. Forecast for this weekend does not look good (figures), but it will maiden soon.

I ran the aileron serovs to a single channel, but since I used the d-sub connector, I can easily split them up again. Should have thought about that during the build. No worries though. I have a JR X8103 digital, so I can program the flaperons. As you said, something to do after maiden.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2006, 01:51 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
Bad weather in Arizona this weekend, so no maiden yet. Maybe next weekend. In the meantime, here's a few more pics.

Pat
Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:16 AM
Rochester NY
Joined Oct 2004
196 Posts
Got my kit to day $49.00 plus 19.00 shipping on Ebay
any sugestions to applyting the decals?
Chazzman is offline Find More Posts by Chazzman
Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:55 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
Chazz,

It all depends on several factors. However, if you are just going to use regular enamel or acrylic paint, and the stock stickers included with the kit, then they apply pretty well just by peeling and sticking them to the model. I also used some Testors dullcoat to help get rid of the glossy finish on the stickers.

Some people have said they applied a light coat of water-based polyurethane (WBPU) to help the stickers adhere, but I think you only need to do that if you are going to use some custom made water slide decals (like the kind you would get in a plastic model kit).

Good luck on the build.

Pat
Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:39 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
Maiden update

Still no maiden yet. Tried yesterday, but my flying field was occupied by a youth football practice. Weather outlook for this weekend calls for rain again (why does it only rain on the weekends here?!?). If the winds stay down before the front comes through, I'll try to sneak it in tomorrow morning.

Pat
Old Mar 18, 2006, 06:27 AM
Rochester NY
Joined Oct 2004
196 Posts
Can any one help with a schematic of how you wire up the 9 pin connector from radio shack? I guess one way is to connect them up for a 4 chan setup. I presently have 4 chan radio. I plan on gettting a 6 chan computer type later, so i would like to be able to modify the connections easily to have flaps. Being not smart to computer setups are the flaps and the aelerions handled electronicaly on a 6 chan computer type setup through some sort of a mix?
Also when you break in the motors in water do you have to take them apart to clean the water out? How long do you run them?

Chazz
Chazzman is offline Find More Posts by Chazzman
Old Mar 18, 2006, 09:56 AM
Akron, Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
433 Posts
Chazz,
For the d-b 9 pin connector you want to solder on your wires whichever way works best for you. You'll use 5 leads on each side, 2 for the motors and 3 for the ailerons. See the attached photo. This example uses 8 pins because I have the flaperons, but the method is just the same. Just make sure you match up the connections on each side, and use heat shrink tubing. Don't worry about the 6 ch deal now, you can add that later. The flaperons are fun but not a necessity to fly this bird. As for motor break-in I just ran them dry all together on one D-cell for about an hour and a half. I didn't think it would be a good idea to submerge these motors in water as the holes in the motor are so small - you'd probably never get all of the water out!
Aerobatman is offline Find More Posts by Aerobatman
Old Mar 18, 2006, 04:37 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
Successful maiden!

I had a successful maiden flight today. Got some video which still needs to e digitized. Once done, I will post it up.

Pat
Old Mar 18, 2006, 05:30 PM
Spaced Out
No. Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
238 Posts
Congratulations! I'm Very impressed with your plane, can't wait for video! Makes me want one, that's for sure, I just have no where to ROG, and I can't see myself hand-launching this one.
WinginIt Jr. is offline Find More Posts by WinginIt Jr.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 05:42 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Hey wingin, Hand launching this bird is easy so if you've got some grass for a belly landing don't worry. What it doesn't like is too much wind. Just my 2c.
Glenn.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Mar 18, 2006, 05:49 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
Bad video

I just watched the video, and it did not come out good. I had flown past the sun, and my videographer was not able to keep up until just before landing. I will get better video to post.

Pat
Old Mar 18, 2006, 05:52 PM
Spaced Out
No. Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellington53
Hey wingin, Hand launching this bird is easy so if you've got some grass for a belly landing don't worry. What it doesn't like is too much wind. Just my 2c.
Glenn.
Fair enough, thanks for the info. I'm not privelaged enough to have a concrete runway to use for these foamy planes, which is too bad because I much prefer to ROG. I'll keep it in mind, thank you!
Old Mar 18, 2006, 05:52 PM
Spaced Out
No. Virginia
Joined Jul 2005
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
I just watched the video, and it did not come out good. I had flown past the sun, and my videographer was not able to keep up until just before landing. I will get better video to post.

Pat
C'mon Pat, you know we wanna see it anyway!
Old Mar 18, 2006, 11:20 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinginIt Jr.
C'mon Pat, you know we wanna see it anyway!
I may get better video tomorrow if the weather holds out. If not, I'll see what I can do about today's vid.

I fly mine from (very) short grass, and a dirt strip. I have also heard that these can be hand launched. Get a buddy to do it with a small running start.

Good luck!

Pat
Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:28 PM
Joined Sep 2005
154 Posts
I must admit I have had bsolutely no problems hand launching the Herc solo. Get a good grip around where the rear wheels used to be, full power and a level throw into breeze (not wind though ) Mine is a little heavy as I glassed it so a non glassed version would be even easier as it will have more power. If you are going to belly land I would reccomend reinforcing the underside to stop chunks being ripped from it, I hear clear packing tape is very good, or you could just glass the bottom.

You may want to have somebody else chuck it the first time so you can trim out any problems, however I hand launch all my foamies and belly land them, apart from the occasional broken prop because I dont have a prop saver they are normally quite uneventful
sutlane is offline Find More Posts by sutlane