HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:36 AM
Woodsy
Drouin, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,117 Posts
I'm happy to ship out of Aussie to anywhere in the world (and have done to many countries)

let me know if i can help
woodsy is offline Find More Posts by woodsy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:59 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
If you want to get a GWS aircraft that is no longer stocked by their UK importer, Perkins, you could try contacting Allan Stead at Perkins and asking if they are prepared, given an order from your LHS to include whatever it is you want in their next order on GWS. If the answer is "yes" the good news is you're in business and you won't have to pay any overseas shipping, only the shipping from your LHS to you. The bad news? The bad news is that you may have to wait several months for Perkins next order on GWS to be picked, packed, containerised and then shipped (by ship, as in sea) from Taiwan or China.

I'd take it as a fair indication that if a kit is shown as available on the Caliber website it's available from GWS, but you could ask GWS direct?

I used this method to get an EDF, as opposed to EDP, Quadtrans a few years ago - which I still have unbuilt in its box!

Perkins don't support GWS with any advertising, GWS don't do any themselves and it's a self fulfilling prophecy that if you don't market the products then customer awareness and customer demand drops which means that the importer can't shift his stock so he stops stocking the slow sellers, which is why you can no longer get the propeller or edf versions of the BN2 and the Quadtrans, to name but 2/4 models.

The situation with GWS supplied kits in this country is only going to get worse. Fortunately there's no shortage of other makers ready to gobble up GWS' share of the cake and bring us new and better models all the time. As someone who got into the hobby through GWS and who has owned and built not less than one and as many as four or five of most of the (propeller) models in the GWS range I find that sad.

What GWS always seemed to think they did well was electronics. What we, the customers, thought they really did well was foam kits, the electronics didn't have and still don't have any particular competitive advantage in the eyes of the customer.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:47 PM
Random Flier
Oxford (UK) and Mtn View CA (USA)
Joined Nov 2002
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
If you want to get a GWS aircraft that is no longer stocked by their UK importer, Perkins, you could try contacting Allan Stead at Perkins and asking if they are prepared, given an order from your LHS to include whatever it is you want in their next order on GWS. ...
Thanks Roger. I see they only stock a subset of GWS kits now.
isvana is offline Find More Posts by isvana
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:21 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
thats a shame about the props. any plans for a updated power system....?
i need to make mine lipo and maybe brushless.... as i dont have any nicads or chargers for nicads...
let me tidy my herc up and il try post some pics!
any chance you can measure the length of the bolt for the top wing??? mines missing!
chris
I don't know if I'll upgrade to bushless on the J Herc, I'll probably see how she goes stock, maybe with a smaller battery than the K. Either way, I can't see it flying untill next summer now
I did have the K out tonight hoping to do a para drop though. Didn't go to plan like. I hand launched, straight into massive control surface jitters. It wouldn't climb, it wouldn't turn right, the ramp opened itself and the para fell straight out onto the floor! I managed to get it turned back towards me and thought better to land down wind than try and get it back into wind!! I got it back down in one piece after rough landing and as I picked it up, it completely locked out with all surfaces at full deflection When I got it home, I plugged the battery back in and it did the same, until I unplugged my light circuit that one of the faries at work made me. As soon as I unplugged it, it was perfect. No noise, no servo twitch, just perfect control again. Needless to say, the light circuit came out and went in the bin...Job sorted!
I measured the bolt you asked about, it's 40mm long and is 3mm wide. Hope this helps with yours
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:21 AM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
771 Posts
I have a light set on my UM mosquito! it does similar things!
under 50% power it starts throwing in its own random controls. not brilliant. landings are now zero power or 70%ish ! not fun!
Thats a shame about not getting a flight in till next summer! how comes?
Thanks for measuring that Bolt! im sure i can find something to suit at work!
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Sep 19, 2011, 09:39 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
I'd rather have a plane that flies properly than one with lights, that's wny mine are now in the bin! I've got too many planes that are ready to fly at the moment, and the J Herc still needs a few little bits. Having said that, I've just crashed my TN Mosquito today, so have a spare slot on my transmitter!!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:07 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,076 Posts
Puff puff puff

I ran as fast as I could. Just got a Cargotrans.

Did I miss anything on the build ?
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:05 AM
Dir_D_Redd
United States, GA, Clayton
Joined Jan 2010
330 Posts
Where can I buy the 4 blade props
dirdredd is offline Find More Posts by dirdredd
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:16 AM
Dir_D_Redd
Joined Jan 2010
330 Posts
Where or who do I buy the small Prop Adapters
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:56 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirdredd View Post
I got mine from KP Aero in the UK but wasn't too impressed with the performance. The prop adapters are the stock GWS ones that came with the kit and I just enlarged the hole in the centre of the propeller. I gave up on them for flying with, and now use the stock 2 blade ones again and just put the 4 blades back on for display. Having said all of this all of this, you could probably swing the coarse pitch ones with a slightly bigger motor for better resultst, but I never got that involved

http://www.kpaero.com/Default.aspx
Last edited by davylah; Dec 23, 2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:38 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirdredd View Post
If you want 4-bladed props, even if just for show, I still have my KP Aero unopened that I'd be willing to part with.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:39 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,076 Posts
What is the diameter & pitch ? How many do you have to make up 4 of the bladed props ?
What is the maximum rpms as 2..3... or 4 bladed ?

$$ ?

Rich
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:38 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,189 Posts
Wow, I had forgotten how many of these I'd purchased. I have two sizes, 8 sets of each size as follows:

137x115mm with 2mm hub shaft hole (that would be 5.4" diameter and 4.53" pitch)

85x60mm with 1mm hub shaft hole (that would be 3.35" diameter and 2.36" pitch)

I had purchased the smaller ones for the Cargotrans, and the larger ones for Pat Tritle's DC-6B. Never used any of them.

Each pack comes with 4 blades, and hubs for 2, 3 and 4-blade configurations. The blades simply snap on to the hubs and lock forward.

I would do $7 shipped for each set of 4.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Dec 23, 2011, 03:49 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,076 Posts
I went with GWS EP 4.0 x 4.0" due to 14,500 rpms. Yours do look very scale like. The web site does not show those anymore.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 02:09 PM
Dir_D_Redd
Joined Jan 2010
330 Posts
OK! So where can I buy the small prop adapters