HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:41 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
Help!
Glue for ABS Plastic?

I got a sailplane fuselage that is ABS plastic and I'm trying to find out what type of glue to repair it and glue to it. Automotive silicone sealer seems to be able to stick things to it, but not really a repair glue. Epoxy and CA just peel off.
Thanks for any help, Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2006, 01:16 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
In the past I have used MEK on abs plastic. But you would want to be careful with it.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 01:59 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
UHU Hart (from Hobby Lobby) is the best for gluing other things to ABS.
http://www.uhu.de/_uk/indexx.html?ma...toff/hart.html
You can get ABS cement from the plumbing section of the hardware store for repairs, but it tends to be black. And you can also use scraps of pipe to reinforce the fuselage at high stress locations or cracks.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Feb 19, 2006, 02:19 PM
palmer, alaska
Joined Nov 2005
239 Posts
one trick to remember when you are using ABS or PVC type plastic and the ABS or PVC glue like you would get from the hardware store to rotate the piece if possible 1/4 - 1/2 a trun. I know this is not nessisarily posible on a model but if you can accomidate this you will get alot better bond the just putting the glue on and putting it together.
thealaskaneagle is offline Find More Posts by thealaskaneagle
Old Feb 19, 2006, 04:51 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,929 Posts
Typically, you don't "glue" ABS plastic. You "fuse" or "weld" it by chemically melting it together with a solvent. The most common solvent for this purpose is a mixture of Methyl Ethyl Keytone (MEK) and Acetone. These are the primary ingredients in ABS pipe glue. The black color in ABS pipe glue comes from ABS resins which are added as filler so imperfect joints don't leak.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Sep 06, 2010, 05:07 PM
Go Big or Go Home
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2010
45 Posts
Hallo PGR.
I am in the proses to trying and mold parts for a model aircraft out of abs plastic 0.9 mm
thick. Dit alot of reading on the heating and moulding part but havend found a lot of info on how to bond to parts together. Have you tryed this before or is this even posible.
My idee is to make the fuselage left and right side seprate and the wing top and bottom seprate then glue them together with some formers or ribs inside for strengh.
You say to use MEK can i get that from a hardware store?
Any help on this will be very much apreciated.
mind the bad spelling please.
Quentin Visser is offline Find More Posts by Quentin Visser
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:38 PM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin Visser View Post
Hallo PGR.
I am in the proses to trying and mold parts for a model aircraft out of abs plastic 0.9 mm
thick. Dit alot of reading on the heating and moulding part but havend found a lot of info on how to bond to parts together. Have you tryed this before or is this even posible.
My idee is to make the fuselage left and right side seprate and the wing top and bottom seprate then glue them together with some formers or ribs inside for strengh.
You say to use MEK can i get that from a hardware store?
Any help on this will be very much apreciated.
mind the bad spelling please.
MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) is pretty potent stuff. A hardware store might stock it and if they don't, might be able to tell you where you could get some.
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:55 PM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,839 Posts
Plastic Epoxy (not regular epoxy.)

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epx...tic-Bonder.htm

You can also you use nitrocellulose cement (old model airplane cement.) Uhu Hart is one brand, Sigment and Ambroid are other names. So called "household" cement may also work as it's often just nitrocellulose cement of another name.

Finally, you can use good old CA. CA for plastic or rubberized CA work. This stuff: http://www.supergluecorp.com/zap/zap-glues/poly-zap
groundfx is offline Find More Posts by groundfx
Last edited by groundfx; Sep 06, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:26 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
I recently fixed a neighbors ABS sewer tank on there motor home. It had a crack 18"s long in the center of the bottom. He was flushing the tank out when it split, just a couple days before he was to leave on vacation.
Luckly it was fully flushed out before it split!!
He couldn't get a replacement tank in time and he was low on bucks.
I searched on line and called around and asked questions, then went to Lowes and looked through there Plastic Epoxy till I found one that said ABS on the back.

I first experimented with a couple small strips(2.5x2.5") of fiberglass wet-up with the epoxy and then I wiped the tank with MEK, then a red scotch brite scuff pad. Let it flash off, spread some epoxy on the test area, then applied the fiberglass patch, letting about 3/8" of the edge hang off so I'd have something to grab and tug on to see if I could pull it off.
It set-up in minutes, but I let it set over night. The next day we couldn't pull the patch off at all, so I went and bought several epoxy sets and epoxied a 3' wide stripe of fiberglass on the crack and a couple months later its still holding.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Sep 07, 2010, 05:05 PM
Go Big or Go Home
Johannesburg
Joined Jul 2010
45 Posts
Sounds greate wil go and find some and give it a glo.
Thanks for all the help!!!.
Quentin Visser is offline Find More Posts by Quentin Visser
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
For bonding ABS plastic, always remember the adhesives such as airplane glue and plastic welder. That two is good in bonding ABS plastic. Otherwise, there are some forum responses that states that ABS plastic itself can be used an adhesive to it by just melting some ABS plastic and applying it to the area needed.