HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:23 PM
Sharpsburg, Georgia
Joined Feb 2006
182 Posts
Build Log
1/3 Scale Super Cub - Balsa USA

Just a few more pictures from earlier in the build. My work bench is 4'X8'. I use 2'x4' ceiling tiles face down under the plans for pinning the assemblies. A 4' scale pinned down is used to keep things straight.
G202RC is offline Find More Posts by G202RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:34 PM
Blissfield, Michigan
Joined Apr 2005
1,100 Posts
SUPER Cub by Gary

Gary - really good job of picture posting!! I was a little worried about that but I am impressed. Looks like you really got it all together now. Sure am glad I talked you into joining this group. Looking good kid, I can't wait to see you fly that big cub and I know it will be a beaut. I'll be watching this thread for updates - I'm sure it's gonna be pretty. Just love those cubs. Jim
Maineiac63 is offline Find More Posts by Maineiac63
Old Feb 19, 2006, 01:30 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Gary, very nice looking build! I too love Cubs, and especially the "Super" variety. I think they lend themselves to scale R/C models better since they have significantly better performance, so can more easily be made to fly scale-like.

That one looks like a very nice kit, and the structure looks lighter than I expected. Should be pretty light for it's size, with all of the bowed, laminated tailfeathers and wingtips.

The glass cowl also looks very nice.

You did a great job of photographing your build, and posting the pic's.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm going to have to get one of these some day!

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old Feb 19, 2006, 07:48 PM
Sharpsburg, Georgia
Joined Feb 2006
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpAce
Gary, very nice looking build! I too love Cubs, and especially the "Super" variety. I think they lend themselves to scale R/C models better since they have significantly better performance, so can more easily be made to fly scale-like.

That one looks like a very nice kit, and the structure looks lighter than I expected. Should be pretty light for it's size, with all of the bowed, laminated tailfeathers and wingtips.

The glass cowl also looks very nice.

You did a great job of photographing your build, and posting the pic's.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm going to have to get one of these some day!

AmpAce
Thanks, This is my 1st Cub and 1st BUSA kit. The kits good but you must read the instructions, look at the pictures and prints several times. They don't always match up so you must make sure before gluing things for good. This kits for experienced builders. It takes me a while some times to figure out the next step. I had a chance to fly Jim's 1/4 scale L4 cub last year. After that I had to try one! We made a few tows with our 1/4 scale gliders and it was very scale like. The L4 has an OS 160 twin.
Gary
Old Feb 19, 2006, 09:48 PM
Blissfield, Michigan
Joined Apr 2005
1,100 Posts
Gary and Jim

For all who is interested here is a picture of Gary and his tow plane and Ask 21, next to a full scale Ask 21 which Gary rides in from time to time. The other picture is of yours truly (Jim) with the 1/4 scale L-4 grasshopper that I converted from a Sig Piper J-3.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:00 AM
Blissfield, Michigan
Joined Apr 2005
1,100 Posts
Club site http://bitsrc.com
Old Feb 23, 2006, 06:12 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Very nice website! Looks like you have a great place to fly!

Gary, you mentioned that you were looking at a Brison engine for power. I've been doing a little scouting around for suitable gas engines, and the Brisons look very good. One thing I noticed, though, is that most of them aren't spec'd to turn a large enough prop to really be scale, until you get into the ridiculously powerful, bigger, heavier engines.

Not being a I.C. guy, I'm not sure how much latitude you have with going outside the specified size ranges for props, but if you have to stick to the spec's, and want to be strictly scale for prop diameter, it could be a problem.

One engine that looks promising from a prop size standpoint is the Evolution 58GX carried by Horizon Hobbies. It is quite light at 4 pounds without mufler, and is rated for up to a 26 X 10 prop, which would be a 78" scale size, and about right. I have absolutely no experience or knowledge of these engines, I'm just looking at the spec's. Does anyone on here know anything about these?

AmpAce
Old Feb 23, 2006, 09:01 PM
Sharpsburg, Georgia
Joined Feb 2006
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpAce
Very nice website! Looks like you have a great place to fly!

Gary, you mentioned that you were looking at a Brison engine for power. I've been doing a little scouting around for suitable gas engines, and the Brisons look very good. One thing I noticed, though, is that most of them aren't spec'd to turn a large enough prop to really be scale, until you get into the ridiculously powerful, bigger, heavier engines.

Not being a I.C. guy, I'm not sure how much latitude you have with going outside the specified size ranges for props, but if you have to stick to the spec's, and want to be strictly scale for prop diameter, it could be a problem.

One engine that looks promising from a prop size standpoint is the Evolution 58GX carried by Horizon Hobbies. It is quite light at 4 pounds without mufler, and is rated for up to a 26 X 10 prop, which would be a 78" scale size, and about right. I have absolutely no experience or knowledge of these engines, I'm just looking at the spec's. Does anyone on here know anything about these?

AmpAce
I've only seen one of the evolutions. It was the smaller 35cc on an 81" Ohio RC profile YAK. It flew the yak just fine but occasional would quit running in flight? I'm not really concerned about the prop size for scale. I'm looking more for performance and have enough power to tow glider when I want to. After talking the BUSA a 70cc range should work fine. Still debating the 100cc twin or 70cc single?
Gary
Old Mar 01, 2006, 09:30 PM
Sharpsburg, Georgia
Joined Feb 2006
182 Posts
1/3 Super Cub

Sorry there's not been much more to report on the Super Cub build. Work and ground school keeping me busy. Started to add some fairing strips and ordered the electronics. Still no engine yet? Here's a couple more shots of the build. Hope to get some more pix soon.
Old Mar 01, 2006, 09:33 PM
Blissfield, Michigan
Joined Apr 2005
1,100 Posts
Looking good and welcome back G202RC - thought you might have gone South for the winter there.
Old Mar 01, 2006, 11:25 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Gary,

Ditto to the build looking good! I really like the looks of this one!

By the way, I've been doing a little more research on engines, in the event that I find one of these kits at my door someday. The largest Evolution single, ( the 58GX), looks really good. It's right at 4 pounds bare, and reportedly produces 8.5 real horsepower! The reports that I've read from guys who are actually flying them have been good, with most saying they think the horsepower figures are real.

Probably the biggest downside for you is that they seem to be out of stock everywhere right now. Horizon says they expect some more in later this month.

They are actually an entirely different engine than the smaller Evolutions. Might be worth a look, if you haven't decided yet, but of course there are many very good gas engines out there in that size range.

Just thought I would pass this along, in case you haven't decided on an engine yet. I think this one would my engine of choice right now, everything considered.

That's going to be one beautiful big Cub! You make me very envious! Oh well, maybe some day I can afford to order one and the other things needed to make it fly.

Happy Building!

AmpAce
Old Mar 02, 2006, 09:51 AM
Blissfield, Michigan
Joined Apr 2005
1,100 Posts
We had a man from away attend our "Big Bird" fly in 2004 and I am here to tell you that he put on one heck of a show with his 1/3 scale cub. I will not forget that show nor will I forget that big cub. I was there with 2 of my 1/4 scale cubs and they were "puny" by comparison. !! I'm sure Gary is building a show piece and I'm looking forward to see it fly. Good on you Gary, Jim
Old Mar 02, 2006, 11:02 AM
London, UK
Joined Aug 2005
1,295 Posts
very nice cub
have a GP Cub hanging from the ceiling.
arukum17 is offline Find More Posts by arukum17
Old Mar 02, 2006, 07:26 PM
Sharpsburg, Georgia
Joined Feb 2006
182 Posts
Thanks All

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!
AmpAce, I did some looking at the evolution 58 your talking about and found some good reports from others too. I'll be sure to give a thought since I'm still debating.

Hope to have some time to add a few more sticks to the Cub this weekend. I'll shoot a few more pix too if I can.

Thanks Again everyone
Gary