HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2002, 09:33 AM
Not Really
Natick, MA
Joined Nov 2001
707 Posts
Manta 100" Full House sailplane from Espritmodel.com

I just picked up Manta from Espritmodel.

This a full house 100" sailplane. It has a 3 piece wing, and a fiberglass fuse. Upon opening the box, I was very impressed with the quality and packing. All components are individually packaged and packed extremely well. There is no damage that I found from transit, considering this kit came from the Czech Republic, that's impressive. I will start on assembling the kit tomorrow but, I still need to pickup servos and receiver. Considering that I really need to do is mount the servos and receiver, I will have little to do.

Oh ya, and the best part is, it only cost $229

Here are the specs from the site:

It's a feather !
This model is a must for chasing thermals.
The wing is magnificent with its eyebrow style winglets. The flaps enable the model to be perfectly balanced during winching, to ride out the rough weather easily, to maximise lift while spiralling and they act as powerful airbrakes to help land the model at your feet even in the most difficult conditions.

Whether you prefer thermal soaring or slope soaring, this model is made for you !

Technical specifications:
Wingspan: 2,55 m
Length: 1,24 m
Weight: 1,38 kg
Wing surface: 50,6dm2
Wing loading: 27,3 g/dm2
Airfoil: SD7012
Radio: 4 channel, 6 servos

Key features:
- Fuselage and winglets: epoxy fiberglass with gelcoat
- The wings are in three parts to ease transport and storage
- The wings are made of balsa covered polystyrene and covered with Oracover® and the ailerons and flaps are finished
- Horizontal and vertical tailplane: balsa covered polystyrene and covered with Oracover®
- An exclusive stabiliser tilt mechanism
- Tow hook supplied
- Top quality accessories
- Complet assembly manual with step by step illustrations
Fast-Forward is offline Find More Posts by Fast-Forward
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2002, 12:48 AM
Everyday normal guy.
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Feb 2002
346 Posts
So many sailplanes and so little time.

Very cool my friend. Please let us know what servos and radio gear you used and how it soars.

Don Cohn
Don Cohn is offline Find More Posts by Don Cohn
Old Jun 22, 2002, 07:00 PM
Not Really
Natick, MA
Joined Nov 2001
707 Posts
Re: So many sailplanes and so little time.

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Cohn
Very cool my friend. Please let us know what servos and radio gear you used and how it soars.

Don Cohn
I plan on using HS-85s for the rudder and stab. The ailerons and flaps will be HS-81s. I have a HiTech Flash 5x radio so, I will not be able to setup crow. Flaps ought to be sufficient though. I really like kit so far. Building will start after the servos are bought.
Old Jun 23, 2002, 08:38 PM
Old Guy
Carver, MA USA
Joined Jun 2000
553 Posts
Re: Re: So many sailplanes and so little time.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fast-Forward

I plan on using HS-85s for the rudder and stab. The ailerons and flaps will be HS-81s. I have a HiTech Flash 5x radio so, I will not be able to setup crow. Flaps ought to be sufficient though. I really like kit so far. Building will start after the servos are bought.
If there is much chance of the flaps contacting the ground on landing you would probably prefer to put HS-85MG servos in place rather than the 81's. Flap gear trains routinely take a beating and the MG version is far more forgiving of the occasional flap-extended landing.

Ron
Ron Cichowski is offline Find More Posts by Ron Cichowski
Old Jun 24, 2002, 01:03 PM
Not Really
Natick, MA
Joined Nov 2001
707 Posts
Re: Re: Re: So many sailplanes and so little time.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Cichowski

If there is much chance of the flaps contacting the ground on landing you would probably prefer to put HS-85MG servos in place rather than the 81's. Flap gear trains routinely take a beating and the MG version is far more forgiving of the occasional flap-extended landing.

Ron
Ron,

I think thats the way that I'll go. I hope to order the servos this week from servocity Their prices seem pretty good and they have the complete line of Hitec servos that I need. Im not sure if I will setup the flaps for on/off or use the throttle as a variable setting. Any advice on that?

Also, the rudder is a pull-pull setup. Does this work better than the regular control horn?
Old Jun 25, 2002, 10:00 PM
Old Guy
Carver, MA USA
Joined Jun 2000
553 Posts
Yep, ServoCity is great! They also stock all the gears and all the cases for all the HiTech servos. Repair forever!

Definitely would want the flaps on the throttle stick. Full up stick being flaps retracted and full down stick being flaps fully actuated. The idea being that you can vary flap setting to control glide path on approach to landing. You can also ease the flaps in to prevent a rapid pitch change due to flaps popping in too fast. If you are flying with a TX capable of crow you will be able to proportionally lower flaps as you raise ailerons for more glidepath cotrol.

Pull Pull works fine and is very light. You don't want a rudder hinge that will fall apart under the tension of the pull cables. I run C/F pushrods in most of my aircraft. but to be effective, efficient and slop free care has to be taken to securely anchor pushrod housings to prevent flex and yet eliminate any binding that would fight the servo. A pull pull system can literally go around corners just as long as it drags over a smooth surface that will not signifigantly contribute to frictional losses.

Ron
Ron Cichowski is offline Find More Posts by Ron Cichowski
Old Jun 27, 2002, 06:26 PM
Not Really
Natick, MA
Joined Nov 2001
707 Posts
Manta Pictures

Here are the pictures of the Manta

Old Jun 27, 2002, 06:29 PM
Not Really
Natick, MA
Joined Nov 2001
707 Posts
Here are the Pictures of the Manta

Old Jun 27, 2002, 06:31 PM
Not Really
Natick, MA
Joined Nov 2001
707 Posts

Old Jun 27, 2002, 06:34 PM
Not Really
Natick, MA
Joined Nov 2001
707 Posts

Old Jun 27, 2002, 06:35 PM
Not Really
Natick, MA
Joined Nov 2001
707 Posts

Old Jun 27, 2002, 06:37 PM
Not Really
Natick, MA
Joined Nov 2001
707 Posts

Old Jun 30, 2002, 12:53 AM
Everyday normal guy.
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Feb 2002
346 Posts
Excellent!

Thanks for sharing the pics! Let's see some more when you have it finished.

How's it coming along so far?

Don
Old Jul 11, 2002, 01:49 AM
Everyday normal guy.
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Feb 2002
346 Posts
Is it finished yet?

Post some more pictures and tell us how it soars!

Don
Old Jul 11, 2002, 03:52 PM
Not Really
Natick, MA
Joined Nov 2001
707 Posts
Manta is still in the box

Don,

I have not started building the Manta yet. I have completed the Searcher which is in a previous thread. I still need to purchase the servos for the Manta. Hopefully, I can pickup the servos next week and start some building.

Just for the record, this is my third sailplane. My first is the Bessy. I started out using a hi start and with in the last couple of weeks graduated to winch launches. The Bessy flies very nicely and she is still in one piece. The Searcher is my second. At 100" it's no small plane. The Searcher was bought for the RES Contest this weekend.

My thinking is to master the rudder and elevator sailplane first. Then, when it seems easy enough I will move to an aileron and flap sailplane. This is why I bought the Manta. I can’t wait to see a 100" sailplane ROLL.

Wish me luck at the contest. Did I mention that this is my first.....
Last edited by Fast-Forward; Jul 11, 2002 at 09:56 PM.