HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2006, 01:28 AM
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
Build Log
F-111 "Aardvark" Swing-Wing Park Jet

hey all, here is my latest project (and yet another diversion from my mig-23 )
it is the F-111 Aardvark.
it is basically still using jetset44's parkjet approach with a slight twist (literally). i'm hoping that the final plans and the build thread will explain that portion of it. i have actually built version 1 and then modified and corrected numerous things for version 2. version 1 was a simple mock up, so no electronics guts and no motors. so, she has not flown yet. usually, i like to wait until i've gotten the planes built and test flown before posting the build thread. this one will be different; it will be more of a work in progress. i've got a bad tendency to kinda start and then slack off. so, thankfully for you all, SuperHornet as come to the rescue!
SuperHornet will be building off of preliminary beta plans and be contributing immensely to this build thread. i'll be trying to play catch-up with my build a little slower. my hope is that, with SuperHornet's help, the plans can be shown to work (and fly), and then i'll post the plans. version 2 is actually 18% larger than version 1. she is a pretty big monster (at least relative to my prior plans). i'll post the prelim pic of version 1, but version 2 will have a much nicer (hopefully) rounded fuselage and transition area between the intake and remainder of the ducting. the swing-wing mechanism will be utilizing JetSet44's proven effective design.

WS (swept) is estimated to be about 30.75in
WS (unswept) is estimated to be about 56.25in
L is estimated to be about 63in
weight will hopefully be about 25-30oz or so
motor: pusher: ?Typhoon 15/10
batt: 3s1p lipoly (size pending balancing issues)
servos: 2 9gm (2 taileron)
1 HS-85MG (swing wing)
esc: CC phoenix 25amp

Plans: to be released after confirmation that they actually result in a flyable plane

-beanie

ps. this pic is of the smaller version 1. it has the ugly duct intakes that will be fixed in version 2. i'll update the pic with the completed version 2 after it is finished.

Update: (3/8/10): plans for v2.2 (semi-monocoque approach) released in ANSI E size pdf. sorry about the massive delay.
beanie is offline Find More Posts by beanie
Last edited by beanie; Mar 08, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2006, 01:29 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
oh, and a huge THANK YOU to SuperHornet for offering to do the beta build and keep me on track.
-beanie
Old Feb 17, 2006, 03:33 AM
500FT & Climbing
Australia/Victoria
Joined May 2005
702 Posts
Beanie,

I have printed the plans and am going to start straight away and hopfully have all it all completed very soon so everyone can enjoy this jet.

SuperH
SuperHornet is offline Find More Posts by SuperHornet
Old Feb 17, 2006, 06:17 AM
Joined Nov 2004
486 Posts
Looks good Beanie...

Good luck with the build SuperH. Hey where are you in VIC? I'm just off Northland.

Ex.
ExtremeSkyes is offline Find More Posts by ExtremeSkyes
Old Feb 17, 2006, 06:53 AM
500FT & Climbing
Australia/Victoria
Joined May 2005
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeSkyes
Looks good Beanie...

Good luck with the build SuperH. Hey where are you in VIC? I'm just off Northland.

Ex.
Western Subs > Hoppers Crossing
Old Feb 17, 2006, 08:35 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
i have shrunk down the F-111 plans back to 100% (for version 2.0) at SuperHornets request. so, his beta build will be at the 100% size. my beta build will be the 118% size. i still have to do a lot of tidying up of the 100% size plans if that one turns out to be the better flier.
-beanie
Old Feb 17, 2006, 08:41 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
(118%) ok, starting up the r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w beta build of version 2.0 (118%). i am sure that SuperHornet's beta build of the 100% of version 2.0 will be much faster.
here is step 1. the nose and cockpit are laminated together using 3M Super77. i used thicker pink foam to skip so many laminations with the FFF.
-beanie
Last edited by beanie; Feb 17, 2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 09:49 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
(118%) next the fuselage sides are cut out. i still have the good ol' FFF, so i peeled off the film on the outer sides and along the areas where i would be glueing the formers. using UHU Creativ for styrofoam, i glued on the cockpit doubler first. the straight doublers are all 12mm in height. next the doubler along the fuselage bottom was glued on. and then i glued on a little tiny doubler at the top of where former 3 would be. remember to build a left and a mirror image right side.
-beanie

ps. i am going to place a '(118%)' symbol at the beginning of any of my posts that reflect a build step of the 118% v2.0 F-111. that will help differentiate it from SuperHornet's 100% v2.0 F-111 build steps.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:59 PM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
(118%) a couple more steps. first the fuse sides are given a bend at the aft end. the distal ends will be glued together eventually. here are a couple shots of the simple bend. i just used a metal ruler and pushed down. its a lot easier to bend it now, before the former is added.
-beanie
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:09 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
(118%) now, each bulkhead is glued to one fuse side. nothing fancy here. i just went straight back from bulkhead #1 to #5.
-beanie
Old Feb 18, 2006, 01:26 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Great work so far, beanie! Wow, that ship is big. Looking forward to a flight report and better yet, flight video!

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Feb 18, 2006, 01:36 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2005
1,004 Posts
Must be back from the vacation?or is this your vacation!AC'
cdebaca is offline Find More Posts by cdebaca
Old Feb 18, 2006, 08:15 AM
Live to fly, fly to live!
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2003
4,339 Posts
Subscribing....go for it beanie!

Looks good so far!

Paul
DCobra is offline Find More Posts by DCobra
Old Feb 18, 2006, 08:42 AM
Joined Sep 2003
4,778 Posts
jetset44 & dcobra - thanks! i'm excited about this one. esp with the help of SuperHornet to keep my butt moving. i've gotten only to the point of the forward fuselage and then halted. i'm sure SuperHornet will surpass me soon enough.

cdebacca- yep, i'm back from vacation. i've got my mig-21 plans finished except for the fuselage skins. it'll be interesting to compare how our designs differ. mine is a bit smaller than yours i think and doesn't have the nice profiled wing shape that yours does.

-beanie
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:04 AM
500FT & Climbing
Australia/Victoria
Joined May 2005
702 Posts
(100%) I will skim past a few steps and show my completed front fuselage. On completing the front fuselage, so far everything is going quite well and piecing together as expected.

SuperH