Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 20, 2002, 10:36 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Todd's Tiny under construction

I finished framing up my Tiny today and covered everything except the ailerons. I'm going out of town this weekend, so probably won't finish it until next week

I'm really looking forward to putting this baby up. It's going to have full house controls, an M100 and Qualcomms. The frame is incredibly light, but the covering stiffened everything up quite a bit. I'm sure it will be at or under 7 ounces when complete. I may finally have a worthy companion to the Rake
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2002, 11:49 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
That looks great, tres! I do like that transparent blue... it's what I went with on my Gyminy
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jun 21, 2002, 12:02 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Thanks Dreamer, for saying something about my poor little Tiny! She was getting worried about all the people looking at the thread and no one saying anything

I like the color too, it's really pretty. I had originally planned on using it for the Switchback, but I got some dark red in yesterday and it looks COOL! I'm going to use that on the SB instead. Probably red wings and tail with white fuse and yellow trim. No doubt if I looked hard enough, I'd find someone else has already used that same combo on a SB
Old Jun 21, 2002, 12:07 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
New Tiny

Tres Wright,

That's a good looking Tiny!

I like the blue and especially the center colors. That tail ought to be easily seen too.

Please send me some pictures of how you mount the motor. I'm kinda hung up there with mine. It ought to be fun this winter when there is little to no wind and the fog is thick. My Punkin ll will be a good flyer then also.

Have a good trip,

Roger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old Jun 21, 2002, 12:11 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Tres: It'll be interesting hearing your comparison between the Rake and the Tiny. I have a funny feeling I know the outcome. It'll probably be similar to my comparison of the Tiny and the Hissy-Fit. I like them both, but I like the Hissy-Fit better. Can't put a finger on it, other than looks, but seems to fly just a little bit better. I think the Tiny is a great design, and a great beginners build. I've suggested it time and again for someone wanting to get started building. What I haven't heard is the kit and instruction quality... Is your's a kit?
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jun 21, 2002, 09:12 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Roger- thank you! I was originally going to cover part of the horiz stab with the white and yellow to match the wing, but the white SoLite is a little translucent. I laid it over the blue and it wasn't as white as it is on the wing, looked wierd so I left it off.

==Please send me some pictures of how you mount the motor. ==

I haven't decided for sure, but it will probably be similar to the Rake motor mount. The M100 on the Rake mounts to a CF fuse stick just like on the Tiny, and the design allowed me to build in 5 degrees of right thrust and down thrust which seems to be just right, it tracks perfectly straight with power on or off. I built it all out of light ply and used a zip-tie to hold the motor on. I'll be sure to photograph the Tiny mount when I'm done and let you know how it works.

EDIT 06-23-02: I ended up using the stock motor mount that came with the kit for the motor. It fit the M100 perfectly! I removed the gear and C/A'd the mount to the plastic M100 housing.

Gene-

==It'll be interesting hearing your comparison between the Rake and the Tiny. I have a funny feeling I know the outcome.==

I'm really curious myself! I suspect the Tiny will be a little slower, it has a much thicker airfoil than the Rake. But it's symmetrical and the Rake is semi-symm, so I'm not sure what to expect from that. I've never flown a plane with a symmetrical airfoil, so this will be new for me.

==It'll probably be similar to my comparison of the Tiny and the Hissy-Fit.==

I missed that, do you have a link to the thread? I'd like to see your comments.

==What I haven't heard is the kit and instruction quality... Is your's a kit?==

Yes, it's the kit. The parts in the kit are ultra-light balsa and of very nice quality. I highly recommend it, the kit price is worth the money just for the super light balsa. Plus the plans are really well done. And the kit includes all the little bits and pieces for the landing gear and controls. Since I'm using HS-55 servos I had to do a couple of minor mods, but this kit accepts the "regular" lightweight equipment (like HS-55s, micro ESCs and feather receivers or GWS equipment) with no problem.
Last edited by Tres Wright; Jun 23, 2002 at 11:02 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2002, 11:06 AM
Joined Jun 2002
3 Posts
Switchback is easier to build

I'm new in here. A local guy turned me onto ezone. This place is great!! There is nothing else like it !!.
Yeah I just finished building my switchback . It seems like it was much easier to build than anything else.
Backyardflyer is offline Find More Posts by Backyardflyer
Last edited by Backyardflyer; Jul 08, 2002 at 06:09 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2002, 11:15 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Welcome to the group!

Doug is finishing up a Switchback kit for me, so I'll get to experience the joy of building one of Doug's kits soon too

As for the warped parts, the only warped part out of all the included super-light balsa in the kit was the leading edge material and it was easily straightened out with a little wetting. As hot as it is here in Texas, the leading edge probably curled while stewing in the box on my porch all day!

I'm not familiar with Nelson covering. I've been using Oracover and SoLite. The Oracover is a little easier to work with, but the SoLite needs very little heat. Both are light and low temp- useful on lightweight frames.

Doug's recommended motor (GWS EPS 370 B) is said to perform really well. You might start with that one and try something else out when you burn it up after 50 or 60 flights
Last edited by Tres Wright; Jun 23, 2002 at 10:51 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2002, 11:15 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Roger,
Simple U shaped mount out of plywood.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jun 21, 2002, 11:16 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
View from back
Old Jun 21, 2002, 11:18 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Boomer! Where ya been? I like that mount, I may try that. Did you screw the M100 to the mount using the stok "tabs"? Also, did you C/A the mount to the stick or epoxy?

I couldn't do something like that on the Rake because it had to be removable to swap for the GWS fan units.
Old Jun 21, 2002, 11:22 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Boomer, a couple more questions-

- Did you put any thrust correction into the mount? If not, did your Tiny pull to the left or up?

- Did you try the stock M100 prop? That prop looks HUGE, how does it fly on it?

Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2002, 11:24 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tres Wright
Boomer! Where ya been? I like that mount, I may try that. Did you screw the M100 to the mount using the stok "tabs"? Also, did you C/A the mount to the stick or epoxy?
Been building the Rake W/mods Yes on the stock tabs. Thick CAed then reinforced w/ a little epoxy. (a doubler would have worked as well as the epoxy... too lazy to make one! )
boomer
Old Jun 21, 2002, 11:27 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tres Wright
Boomer, a couple more questions-

- Did you put any thrust correction into the mount? If not, did your Tiny pull to the left or up?

- Did you try the stock M100 prop? That prop looks HUGE, how does it fly on it?
2 degress right and down. No pull but you'll find it's quite a handfull with the M100 due to the short coupleing and small wing!
Prop is a 9 X 7 which is really pushing the motor and will affect longivity!
boomer
Old Jun 21, 2002, 11:28 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==Been building the Rake W/mods==

EXCELLENT! Can't wait to see it I don't know if Chris told you, but putting a little reflex into the ailerons makes it trim out better.