HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mark675, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:54 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
Gallery
my models

Ok my names mark and im an rc addict

ive been into rc since I was a lad with cars but always longed for a helicopter and a scale microlight since my dad started flying one when i was around 8 years old
having been in the back of the microlight more times than i can remember i got a 'feel' for how they fly and handle.
believing a scale rc version was not possible until I decided to build one from scratch a few years back!
having only seen ones that were pretty unrealistic i went the scale route and made a one off, since then ive helped others build them (even if one of them wont admit it, hi Mario arguello of Mia! )

Anyway, i got seriously bitten by the rc bug in about 2004'ish when a friend of mine took me to a 5th scale car meet at mendip uk and here is where I first seen the rc bikes that have took over my life!
I didn't even know they existed in hobby grade let alone racing ones!
I got home from the race, did some quick research and ordered a fm-1e R1 straight away, I just had to have one!
being into real motorbikes for many years these we're right up my street!

having an addictive nature this led to many many more rc bikes being purchased, nitro and electric,
I think at one point I was approaching 20 hobby grade bikes! nuova faors, thunder tigers, oto's etc and being an engineer i also made some of my own.

i then decided that i would learn to fly helicopters so went the usual route.. sim, little co-axials, twister fp, etc
then i ordered a t-rex 450 s and a sev2,
both of these sat unbuilt for many months due to being very confused about setting up helicopters and peoples horror stories!
this was until i found a setup dvd by Ray hostetller (?) and all was clear

having setup the t-rex 450 exactly to his instructions i went about taming this helicopter and suprisingly it really didn't take very long at all to be flying circuits and having great fun, suprising what sim time can do!
learning the stunts i had a few bumps, some pilot error, the earlier few being due to not setting up the stunt mode properly but we live and learn

since the 450 ive owned and flown 600 and 700 nitros, 500 electrics etc and ive gotta say the bigger they are the better they fly (but also the more scary they are! )

after getting to grips with the Helicopters i went about building my dream model,
a microlight controlled by only using weightshift like the real ones,
i wanted it to look and fly realistic and seing that nothing had been built that really got close to this i decided to build my own from scratch.

I still carried on using the bikes and helis in the meantime and worked on the microlight when the mood took me,
this made it take quite a while to finally finish but researching from real microlights and learning loads along the way helped me to achieve what i set out to do
having never learned to fly a rc plane and feeling this would help me massively in testing the microlight i purchased a parkzone radian pro to learn with,

i managed to make my microlight and get it to fly as i could never have dreamed it would! adding scale details etc has made it even better and i absolutely love flying it whenever i get the chance.

a couple of my friends ordered a parkzone radian pro a month or so after me when they saw some of my onboard videos,
we've since formed a club and fly everything from planes to helicopters, fpv, autogyros, quad/tri/hexcopters and flying wings,
the club is still going strong to this day and everyone has a great laugh

i still use my rc bikes from time to time and still have a fairly large collection of them although not quite as many as i used to have!

heres some of my other hobbies,
mountainbiking, motox, minimotos, 1:1 sportbikes,
and anything just abit mad (drift trikes, powerkites, pogo sticks etc)

Anyway Thanks for reading about my rc history

mark
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Last edited by mark675; Jun 07, 2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: got microlight flying and added new planes and heli's!
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2008, 05:14 PM
Joined Mar 2007
39 Posts
your bike is amazing it must of taken along time to build. You must of taken along time balancing the bike. What engine does it have?
ajayhp is offline Find More Posts by ajayhp
Old Sep 01, 2008, 09:17 AM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts
thanks mate,

if you mean the modded ttn its got a tt .18 engine in it,
it pulls nice wheelies

it took quite a while to build but that was working on and off,
ive got too many hobbies and dont get as much time to use /mess with them as id like
regards, mark
mark675 is offline Find More Posts by mark675
Old Jun 17, 2010, 04:15 AM
Joined Oct 2005
52 Posts
Have you flown the rc microlite?
seravios is offline Find More Posts by seravios
Old Dec 23, 2011, 02:28 PM
flexwing addict
midlands uk
Joined Sep 2004
2,678 Posts