HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:51 AM
I've got questions!
United States, CA, Pomona
Joined Jun 2005
133 Posts
Discussion
Difference between 2S and 3S

How big of a difference is there from a 2S and a 3S lipo? I have a 3D foamy weighing about 12 oz. I put in a 2S lipo, holding the plane vertical and full throttle, the plane doesn't have enough power to climb. I suspected that the battery might be bad (i got it used). So I installed a 3S lipo and the plane wanted to leap out of my hands, the power it had was incredible
So, is it because I went from a 2S to a 3S, or is the 2S battery faulty? Thanks.
growweirdstuf is offline Find More Posts by growweirdstuf
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:04 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
In general all oher things beng equal, a given prop and motor will draw about twice the power on 3s as 2s...If the ESC motor or pack don't die in the attempt
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Feb 16, 2006, 03:32 AM
Johan Beyers Eflight101
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Feb 2005
118 Posts
Yup, that's about right. Since the voltage is higher by 50%, the amps also should rise by about 50%, and the power is given by volts times amps. About twice the power is expected.

I was very surprised when I figured this out the first time. I think this was when I computed the difference between 6 cells and 7 cells for NiCDs: about 40% more power. couldn't figure out why the plane only did a slow descent on 6 cells...

Johan - Eflight101.com
Johan B is offline Find More Posts by Johan B
Old Feb 16, 2006, 05:10 AM
Slovakia
Joined Apr 2005
3,386 Posts
Current increase is higher than linear, since motor is not resistance. Linear could be rotations per minute (multiplied vy volts), and power consumed by propeller demand on rotation speed quadratic. You should consider also efficiency of motor, because as You will run out of acceptable motor power, efficiency fall down and current consumption can be twice or more of all estimations. Power system should be well fitted, current have to be under limit of any of components at full throttle.
coro is offline Find More Posts by coro
Old Feb 16, 2006, 05:57 AM
Johan Beyers Eflight101
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Feb 2005
118 Posts
Agreed. I maybe simplified too much. The only way to really be sure about any of this is to test it on the plane with the specified setup. You might want to put a smaller prop on the plane, just to bring down the power to a level where it doesn't smoke Reminds me of the instructions for tightening a bolt: Tighten until it strips, then a quarter-turn back.

Johan - Eflight101.com
Johan B is offline Find More Posts by Johan B
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:09 AM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
There is a potential advantage to 3S. If you have a target power level (in watts), more volts requires fewer amps to achieve a given amount of power. All else being equal, fewer amps means longer flights and better battery/motor life.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:03 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coro
Current increase is higher than linear, since motor is not resistance. Linear could be rotations per minute (multiplied vy volts), and power consumed by propeller demand on rotation speed quadratic. You should consider also efficiency of motor, because as You will run out of acceptable motor power, efficiency fall down and current consumption can be twice or more of all estimations. Power system should be well fitted, current have to be under limit of any of components at full throttle.

Yup. All true, which is why I said 'all other things being equal' and 'about'

I just knocked up a simulation to do an actual comparison.
Its for a permax 480 long can, 3:1 gearbox and APC 10x7 prop.
a power
On 2s LIPO it draws 8.3A, (58W) at 60% efficiency.
On 3s LIPO it draws 14.9A (150W) at 58.5% efficiency.

Output power goes from 33W to 88W. 2.6 times as much output power..

So its nearly 3 times the power, and on this model the rate of climb TREBLES.

Oh, I have another rule of thumb too..when going froma good setup on 2s LIPO to a good one on 3s LIPO you need to knock 20% off the prop diameter and pitch.

So if e.g. you had a 10x7 on 3s LIPO, something like a 12x8 would be similar on 2s LIPO.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:18 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge
There is a potential advantage to 3S. If you have a target power level (in watts), more volts requires fewer amps to achieve a given amount of power. All else being equal, fewer amps means longer flights and better battery/motor life.
There is also a very real disadvantage to 3s. The BEC has to waste a lot of energy to get the voltage down to 5V. On models with many servos and/or long flight times, a 2s setup is often the better solution (or a switching BEC).

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Feb 16, 2006, 06:36 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
2s On A Sokol Does 80+ Mph

Using Align Bl400l 2500kv 290w Brushless Motor
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo