HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2002, 01:04 PM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
Need for Speed - Sirius, Smart, ?

Well, that's a wrong title. I am not sure about my need for speed but my collection of sailplaned could do with something for the windy days. And you guys are having too much fun with me being left out...

Now, I would like to do it on a budget (as far as that's possible in this category). I have done some looking around and e-zone reading and got interested in the Pavel Gerasis range (mainly the models seem to be easy to get over here). So there is the Smart and the Sirius. I am confused with Smart and there seem to be two versions Smart 1 and 2. I have never heard of the Smart 2 on the e-zone. Is that one kept secret? http://www.gerasis.cz/katalog/str38.jpg

My skills? I am fairly comfortable with thermal gliders (enjoying my SD 2.5m), time to time I am rusty with my landings. So based on what I read the Sirius could be better for me as it seems to be able to slow down better (if kept light I guess). As well seems like Sirius has potential to grow on me should the bug bite (and should it survive). Any reason to consider Smart? The version 2 seems quite close to Sirius.

Power? Well I would be looking at the Kontronik Power Drive (Fun 500-48, 5.2:1 and Smile 50-6-18), starting with 10 cells and something like the 14x10 aeronaut (Chris if you read this - yes, I still like this prop). Here I get worried - NSP is selling this as an ultimate combo for the Absolute. When I run the numbers through the motocalc it produces about 80A, That sounds a little to high for the included ESC. Can anyone shed some light this?

So to sum up:

a) Any experience with the Smart 2.
b) Would the Sirius be a good choice as a first fast model?
c) Is the mentioned power system good for the Sirius and will handle the 14 x 10?
Radek Z is offline Find More Posts by Radek Z
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2002, 01:45 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
No
Yes
No

Smart 2 looks nothing like the 1. V vs. T tail, looks like a longer span, different fuse, etc. No experience over here tho. They're all made by the same company, however, but they do use different manufacturing techniques (Smart has a glass fuse, Sirius is kevlar).
The Sirius will grow with you, yes. Start on 7 cells, nice and light, and will thermal, then move up.
I would not run anything less than a 70A controller in this style of model. Higher is better..

..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 20, 2002, 02:20 PM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
OK, so I have to go for the FAI10Drive which is the same motor but with the Beat 80 ESC. Or alternativelly I can look at the short hot B50 with the 6.7:1 in combination with the future-88 from schultye. About the same price. Did I say anything about budget?
Old Jun 20, 2002, 02:23 PM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
Hacker option seems better that the Kontronik. Am I getting this right?
Old Jun 20, 2002, 02:24 PM
England
Joined May 2000
1,486 Posts
The Gerasis Smart 2 is based on the Twister that won the last world champs. It is reported to be a much higher performing plane than the Sirius, although the build quality is the same (same factory). The original wing for the world champs was a bit smaller but the Smart 2 wing is legal for the new rules - a bit bigger span with more wing area.

I have a Smart 2 which is for open f5b and I have been using it on 10 x 2400cells with a 16x16 prop and it is very fast and retains energy extremely well. It is reported to have a vicious torque roll on launch with 24+ cells, so be careful if you are going to do that.
Kyri is offline Find More Posts by Kyri
Old Jun 20, 2002, 02:31 PM
England
Joined May 2000
1,486 Posts
need for speed

rzitek,

If you get a 10 cell motor you will have a great time for a while, but eventually your 'need for speed' will come back and you will wish you had a bigger esc or more capacity in the motor for more cells!

I have a 10 cell setup that I use for f5b and I tried it in open frames I was using for 7 cell f5b. Soon enough, I was putting the 10 cell setup in the open frame and now I have a 24 cell pack coming as well as a B50 motor. I recommend you get a motor that you can use later on with more cells. The Hacker Master 99-3p or the 77-3p are well reported so far as I have seen in f5b applications and cost effective too. A good 24 cell combo is B50 12S with 6.7:1 and a 16x16. Only trouble with using that on 10 cells is that you won't be able to get a bigger prop. Only more pitch.

Regards

Kyri
Kyri is offline Find More Posts by Kyri
Old Jun 21, 2002, 12:27 AM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
Kyri, I am leaning towards the B50 nnS with the 6.7:1 gearbox. How hot is the question. 12S might be be touch "too cold" for my taste and low cell count. I hear what you say about moving to higher cell counts. I am having trouble finding information (and local supplier) about the Hacker Master ESC. Are these identical with the JETI gold labels?

Sirius owners: What is the size of the spinner?
Old Jun 21, 2002, 12:32 AM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
As well, what kind of RX pack do you guys use in planes like Sirius? You are not using BEC, are you?
Old Jun 21, 2002, 01:00 AM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Hi Radek,
I would suggest a motor from Hacker for 10 cell competition. You could easily run it on 7-8 cells to start and then move up to 10 when you feel the need. Please be advised that the 10 cell Hacker motor I have is really hard on batteries! The performance is awesome but it has killed a few of my packs already. Zapped cells are a really good idea.

There is some info re. the Master controllers on Hacker's website and, no, they are not the same as the Jeti gold label controllers. Suppossed to much better and have adjustable modes as well. Please don't use BEC with a high current setup! I use 4 cell 350ma nicad packs and usually charge after two flights.

That t-tail Smart looks really nice. I'm wondering why Kyri says it has a bad torque roll on launch? Also, why can't it fit a larger than 16x16 prop? The nose looks long enough.
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old Jun 21, 2002, 01:53 AM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
Hi Scot, yes I will use the Hacker, and no I was not planning the use the BEC. It's just struck me I have not seen the RX pack discussed anywahere people talked about f5b - may be just because it's such a bad idea.

So now I am set on a model, motor, esc and voila ... you tell me I need new packs as well. I will have to find someone in here or Germany who does all this zapping and matching. Any ideas?

Did I say anything about doing this on a shoestring? Long shoestring - it's 700USD long and I have not looked at the radio/servo gear yet. Hmmm...
Old Jun 21, 2002, 04:49 AM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Hi Radek,
I am pretty sure zapping originated in Germany so there should be plenty of sources there. They call is "pushing." I am sure some of our German friends can recommend a source nearer to you.

Well, if it makes you feel better, servos are pretty cheap, so are receivers. My Surprise has a Hitec servo on elevator and Volz in the wing. No reason why you couldn't use Hitecs all around. Have you decided then on the new Smart?

I think you're going to like flying this type of plane...just keep in mind that they take a while to slow down. I think this is one of the reasons why they can be a little tough to fly initially. Let us know what you get and how it goes!
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old Jun 21, 2002, 05:24 AM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
Well, I am set on the Sirius for now. Might change. I am still waiting for Gerasis to come back to me with the cost of the shipping. In terms of cost of the model - Sirius is cheaper than Smart 1 and I suspect Smart 2 will be closer to the Smart 1 than Sirius.

I have been on the phone to a friend and he pointed me to a local source of "pushed" RC2400 packs. Now how so I know if their pushing is good enough? Should I care?
Old Jun 21, 2002, 08:59 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,679 Posts
Radek,

Don't forget to stop by the F5B world championships in Switzerland next month. There's always good deals to be had at the end...

Dieter
http://shredair.com
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jun 21, 2002, 09:24 AM
Pampigny, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2001
412 Posts
Dieter, that's an excelent idea. I will for sure be there - looking forward to that for months already. May be chance to spend some Swiss Francs there ...

We have the Swiss national championships happening in one week - 30 km from my house as well.

Any of you guys coming to the Word Championships?

Radek
Old Jun 21, 2002, 10:12 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rzitek
Any of you guys coming to the Word Championships?

Radek
We were set to go, but in the end could not justify the expense involved, both money- and time-wise... We'll be visiting Europe in the fall instead.

Dieter
http://shredair.com
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir