HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2006, 02:51 AM
Semper Fly--Pro-Bro #2095
Greenville, S.C.
Joined Dec 2004
480 Posts
Discussion
After-Run oil, maintenance, etc...

Just sent my saito .72 four stroker to hobby lobby. THey are saying that its rust laden,the bearings are rusted and hence, the reason I sent it, the valve was stuck open and no compression. I bought it used, in a used UCando from a good guy at work. He said that he had the bearings replaced a while back in it. This is my first time so Its no big deal. 95 bucks for that and labor, and I needed a new cam I think he said on my messages. Anyways, whats the best after run oil. I've been using the miracle(murphy's???)...the usual that you can get at lowes and what not. Are there better things to get? And what Other types of general things can I do to keep the engine in top shape. I'm not the monkey wrench type. So I'm talking simple things.
Merkaba is offline Find More Posts by Merkaba
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2006, 03:07 AM
What goes up must come down
USA, GA, Snellville
Joined Oct 2005
218 Posts
Any ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid)will work well also. and at a few bucks a quart it will last for quite some time.

HTH

JIM
jfacky is offline Find More Posts by jfacky
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:01 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,388 Posts
After the last flight of the day - start the engine bring it to WOT and pinch the fuel line going to the carb until the engine stops. Defuel the plane. Attempt to start the engine with the glow driver attached. Do it until the engine do not fire at all. If you're not going to fly that plane for more than a week apply ARO. Apply the ARO through the carb on a 2-stroke engine, use the crankcase vent line (connected to the crankcase breather nipple) on a 4-stroke.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2006, 05:34 AM
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Joined Sep 2003
508 Posts
Can trnasformer oil be used as after run oil? I work in aviation industry and here they use transformer oil to preserve the jet engines before despatching them to Air force bases.
mchandrayan is offline Find More Posts by mchandrayan
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:08 AM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
The best afterun oil I have heard of is 50:50 ATF and Marvel Mystery Air Tool Oil.

On the transormer oil, I don't know....however, if it is not known to eat rubber or plastic seals it should be fine. The main thing is that whatever you use has hydrophobic (water hating) properties.
Lightnin is offline Find More Posts by Lightnin
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:17 AM
Greenville, S.C.
Joined Dec 2004
480 Posts
atf= automatic transmission fluid ?????
Old Feb 16, 2006, 10:36 AM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaba
atf= automatic transmission fluid ?????
Yes - that's what I use (and what is in the Hobbico ARO bottles).
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2006, 09:37 PM
Greenville, S.C.
Joined Dec 2004
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
Yes - that's what I use (and what is in the Hobbico ARO bottles).
yea, after rereading through I saw where the first reply was Automatic Transmission Fluid. Sorry for the over/undersight. Might pick me up some tomorrow.
Thanks guys.

Any thing else simple that most people might overlook as far as engine care?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 09:40 PM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,388 Posts
I don't do any other preventive care - just keep water away from the engines (by using generous amounts of ARO) and they'll be happy and make you happy .
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2006, 07:02 AM
Pacific Northwest
Joined Sep 2004
247 Posts
This discussion came up some time back; I said it then and I'll say it now: careful with the petroleum based ARO's- silicone seals won't tolerate them. OS specifically states that petroleum based oils are not to be mixed with the carburetors they use. YS engines won't tolerate this treatment, either- a synthetic oil is specified for ARO.

That said, I'm fully aware people use petrol based oils all the time and seem to get away with it, nevertheless, people should be aware of this caveat. No doubt I'll catch some flack for this and I'm not recommending to not use ARO but, to say it again, be aware of the implications.
SamD is offline Find More Posts by SamD
Old Feb 18, 2006, 04:43 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,094 Posts
Ivanc, your suggestion may work on two strokes but the subject is a 4 stroke. you can not run the crankcase dry in a 4 stroke hence the need for after run oil such as ATF, any air tool oil or Rislone.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Feb 18, 2006, 08:17 PM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
Ivanc, your suggestion may work on two strokes but the subject is a 4 stroke. you can not run the crankcase dry in a 4 stroke hence the need for after run oil such as ATF, any air tool oil or Rislone.
Which suggestion? The following one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
If you're not going to fly that plane for more than a week apply ARO. Apply the ARO through the carb on a 2-stroke engine, use the crankcase vent line (connected to the crankcase breather nipple) on a 4-stroke.
Ivan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:35 PM
Non-Discriminatory User
Joined Mar 2003
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney
Good point Rodney, I use an evaporative cooler oiler (spout oiler with a telescoping thin tube) to plug into the crank vent on my 4 stroke to put ARO directly into the crankcase.
Lightnin is offline Find More Posts by Lightnin