HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2010, 05:13 PM
United States, OH
Joined Nov 2009
36 Posts
I Believe it was around 22 ounces on it's maiden flight. After light spackle, painting, decals, sanding canopy and adding bottom "decal" it weighes 25.5 ounces.

I couldn't find a clean pic of the bottom, they were all at some kind of angle. So I had to pick the best side from the best photo, blow the pic up, mirror it, and print each side in 4 pieces each for a total of 8 pieces. I then sprayed each piece with Super 77 and applied like a puzzle. I then covered with packaging tape (lazy man's monokote). I then blended the "decal" in on the sides and forward fuse with airbrush.

All the decals were made by printing the pics, covering pic with packaging tape, cut pic out with with x-acto knife. Super 77 decal on plane.

Painted with Createx Black and White Base mix.

I believe I have now given every detail about this build....

Oh wait, used hot glue for most of it and 5 min epoxy for more critical areas....

Now I'm done
MrEx is offline Find More Posts by MrEx
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2010, 06:58 PM
Joined Jul 2009
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEx View Post
Not hard at all. Yes, I did take the paper off. You will need to double the wing, vert stab and horiz stabs. Meaning you will have to Super 77 two pieces togather for strength. If you look a my pictures you will see that that are thicker than most other models using depron. That's because the depron is 6mm, and the Dollar Tree foam board (dtfb)is only 4.5mm. when you glue two together, you get a 9mm piece. Again, you will only need to do this for the wing and stabs. The standard 4.5mm board is fine for everything else.

This is the first model I ever built (other than some arfs), and I didn't think it was hard at all. Of course, I've rebuilt/repaired many a crashed plan, so I guess I've had some building experience. All the sanding was the hardest part. I used $5.35 worth of foam board. Prob could have spent less, but I didn't optimize the board very well when I cut the pieces.
did you use any carbon fiber?
TheTrashMan is offline Find More Posts by TheTrashMan
Last edited by TheTrashMan; Jan 26, 2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: spelled carbon crabon
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:23 PM
United States, OH
Joined Nov 2009
36 Posts
Ya, I built it exactly as Steve's instructions outlined. I just doubled the wing and stabs.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 05:35 PM
United States, OH
Joined Nov 2009
36 Posts
Tree Landing....

Sifted it through a tree today....

Launched at full throttle and torque rolled to inverted. Countered and rolled out of it, and pulled up. Got it up pretty high and was ready to bank into the pattern over the field, and next thing you know "foam was a flyin'!!" My man "Airplane Mike" (been in the hobby over 55 years!) was with me, and commented that he thought I was well above the tree, but obviously not!!

Plane was stuck about 40 feet in the tree. Took us about 30 minutes to rig a "poker" to get it down.

Probably take me about 2 nights to fix. Not a big deal, kinda cold for flyin' in OH anyway...
Old Jan 31, 2010, 07:53 PM
Absorb,Improve,Conquer
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jan 2010
193 Posts
Well it was my very first build and it was fun.The maiden didnt go well though.Even though it seemed balanced it was tailheavy and very hard to trim out.I ended up doing a hard landing to save her and had her all fixed up for another try tomorrow. Here she is after her first maiden if you can call it that lol.Thanks for the plans Steve!I would of never tried to build something like this if wasnt for people like you.

ogdemigod is offline Find More Posts by ogdemigod
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:51 PM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Nice work, ogdemigod. You're welcome for the plans. Did you balance the model at the location shown on the plans? And did you use the recommended control throws? When set up right the F-15 should be very easy to fly and quite stable.

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Old Feb 01, 2010, 11:14 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
My dad just finished his 100% version. It came out nose heavy. He had to put the 2200 3S battery behind the firewall towards the rear of the plane and it's still nose heavy. It seems like most people have a problem with being tail heavy so we're not sure whats going on with it.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Feb 01, 2010, 11:20 AM
Joined Jul 2009
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogdemigod View Post
Well it was my very first build and it was fun.The maiden didnt go well though.Even though it seemed balanced it was tailheavy and very hard to trim out.I ended up doing a hard landing to save her and had her all fixed up for another try tomorrow. Here she is after her first maiden if you can call it that lol.Thanks for the plans Steve!I would of never tried to build something like this if wasnt for people like you.

i love to see a clean workbench,LOL!!!!!!
TheTrashMan is offline Find More Posts by TheTrashMan
Old Feb 01, 2010, 07:32 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,086 Posts
hey!

he's done the right thing by propping the plane up to avoid hangar rash
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2010, 08:53 PM
Absorb,Improve,Conquer
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Jan 2010
193 Posts
LOL ya im a messy guy because i dont have alot of room .

Jetset44 I did the Cg right i thought, but couldnt figure out how to add the control throw settings.I have a Dx6i i set expo and had it all trimmed even.am i supposed to use a ruler to set the aile to 1.5inches +/- while using d&r expo section??Wouldnt doing -40% expo make it overly sensitive?Why not +40%? sorry for the dumb questions lol..

What section do i set the deflections in? And i wanted to do flaperons but every time i ask someone to show me how they tell me not to use them
ogdemigod is offline Find More Posts by ogdemigod
Last edited by ogdemigod; Feb 03, 2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2010, 08:50 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,086 Posts
so I was out the other day with my F-15 and it was perfectly calm. I was at altitude and decided to really test out the stall behavior of the F-15.

I found that if you gradually reduce power and increase up elevator, the F-15 will settle down into a VERY NEARLY perfectly vertical decent at a SLOW rate.

It was absolutely awesome to see. I spent an entire battery pack climbing to nearly out of site and doing this vertical decent business straight down!

I'll try to get a video of it next time i'm out.

Keep in mind that I use a good bit of elevator throw (the tips are about .75-1 inch below the fuse bottom when fully deflected) and I usually run my CG towards the back of it's range.
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2010, 04:55 PM
United States, OH
Joined Nov 2009
36 Posts
P.W.Royce:
Looks good. Curious to how it rolls with the elevons.

Should have mine all fixed tonight. Fly it tomorrow weather permitting. This time I'm going to take to the club field instead of the field by my house. Trees are far away at the club field, and it's only 5 minutes from my house.
Old Feb 05, 2010, 06:48 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,284 Posts
finally built my 1st F15, I built 7 Polaris from Jet's design and love how easy it was so i try something differant.

Very much like the Polaris which i am comfortable with!

Great job Jet!!!

for those that flew the Polaris, do this F15 characteristics is about the same?

using same motor as Polaris 2212-06 with apc 6x4 prop
40a esc
3 9 gram hxt 900's
1300mah and 2200 mah 3s

thanks

-pete
meanbaby is offline Find More Posts by meanbaby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Polaris #58 control horn
Old Feb 05, 2010, 10:28 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.