Old Feb 10, 2008, 01:51 PM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Joachim
let the bird fly!
Being somewhere near where your student sounds to be, this line is great advice. I must remember that one, as it is so easy to try too hard and almost 'fight' the plane-As you say,"Let the bird fly"-I'll have it printed on a Tee Shirt!!
electriceye is offline Find More Posts by electriceye
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2008, 05:55 PM
Australia, NSW, Plumpton
Joined Jan 2008
406 Posts
Hi Sal C, if you there or any one who can give me idea about motor. i am trying to build Sal C 60% model. please guide me what motor i have to use for 60% model...

cheers
aqkhana2002 is offline Find More Posts by aqkhana2002
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:44 PM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
what performance with this numbers

hello everyone,
well i had originally had mentioned that i need more oomph to the plane.
set up right now is super mega jet from grayson with a 6 in prop. 2200 mah 20-30c 3s, 40 amp esc, and AUW is 1lb 12 oz.
ran it up on the watt meter and amp draw at f/t is 29.9 amps, 323 watts at 10.9 volts.
what kind of flying is to be expected?
TIA
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951
Old Feb 14, 2008, 12:58 PM
GRAYSON HOBBY
Grayson, GA
Joined Oct 2003
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkn951
hello everyone,
well i had originally had mentioned that i need more oomph to the plane.
set up right now is super mega jet from grayson with a 6 in prop. 2200 mah 20-30c 3s, 40 amp esc, and AUW is 1lb 12 oz.
ran it up on the watt meter and amp draw at f/t is 29.9 amps, 323 watts at 10.9 volts.
what kind of flying is to be expected?
TIA
323Watts on a 1.12oz plane is going to get you some incredible performance. I say around 60-70mph.
Lt.Smash is offline Find More Posts by Lt.Smash
Old Feb 14, 2008, 01:51 PM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
well guess what'll be flying tomorrow?
now to get the kids attention long enough to video tape it.
how can i get more speed?
TIA
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951
Old Feb 14, 2008, 02:01 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
you didn't say what the pitch of the 6" prop is, but you have plenty of power to increase the pitch a bit
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Feb 17, 2008, 06:06 AM
Germany, Winsen (Aller)
Joined Feb 2008
13 Posts
My first Crash !!!

Hi Pilots!
Somehow I seem to be to stupid to upload a video from the first flight of my F-15. But now I can show you some pictures of my first solo flight (without HJ's) help. My wife who was with me for moral support does not really count
The first solo flight went rather well: Most of the time, my F-15 did fly in the direction I wanted. Even the landing was good and soft, though far away on the field.

The second flight was even better! And this time I managed to land near to were I stood.

But the third flight broke my F-15's spine! Suddenly it became uncontrollable and hit the ground rather hard

Analysis: Vibrations had loosend the propeller. There was no more thrust, and I could not bring her down smoothly. The forward airframe is folded. But what I only realized at home: The motor (glued to three layers of 6 mm depron) without any wooden support broke loose. Both outer layers are torn.

But it is was easy to repair: I fixed it with Uhu PU max, which is rather liquid and easily flows into the cracks. When drying, which takes at least four hours, the polyurethane foam fills all the gaps.
Yesterday in the evening I straightend the nose and supported it with some balsa strips (Which is rather stupid, because in this way I loose the deformable zone at the front.)

In an hour or so, my F-15 will be in the air again!
twenty9
twenty9 is offline Find More Posts by twenty9
Old Feb 17, 2008, 06:24 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,711 Posts
Congratulations on your first crash twenty9! It is good that you have that out of the way. Now you can relax and fly without as much worry about damaging your aircraft.
All of us that fly know sooner or later that we are going to crash, that's just a part of this hobby.
There are two kinds of RC pilots. Those who have crashed and those who are going to crash.
Your plane still looks good. Good luck for many more successful flights.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Feb 17, 2008, 08:18 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty9
Hi Pilots!
Somehow I seem to be to stupid to upload a video from the first flight of my F-15. But now I can show you some pictures of my first solo flight (without HJ's) help. My wife who was with me for moral support does not really count
The first solo flight went rather well: Most of the time, my F-15 did fly in the direction I wanted. Even the landing was good and soft, though far away on the field.

The second flight was even better! And this time I managed to land near to were I stood.

But the third flight broke my F-15's spine! Suddenly it became uncontrollable and hit the ground rather hard

Analysis: Vibrations had loosend the propeller. There was no more thrust, and I could not bring her down smoothly. The forward airframe is folded. But what I only realized at home: The motor (glued to three layers of 6 mm depron) without any wooden support broke loose. Both outer layers are torn.

But it is was easy to repair: I fixed it with Uhu PU max, which is rather liquid and easily flows into the cracks. When drying, which takes at least four hours, the polyurethane foam fills all the gaps.
Yesterday in the evening I straightend the nose and supported it with some balsa strips (Which is rather stupid, because in this way I loose the deformable zone at the front.)

In an hour or so, my F-15 will be in the air again!
twenty9
Hey thats good - 2 good flights followed by an in-air structural failure !
wish my RC learning had been that good - several total writeoffs before my !st (almost) controlled flight.... mind you RC was new then - single channel rx weighed 9 oz & needed tuning up before each flight. (1954)
keep twidding the sticks & having fun.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:11 AM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Don't worry twenty9 -There are many people, including me on this site that would recognise your 2 good flights, 1 crash as normal. As the other guys say, it is all part of the fun!!! Just gives you an excuse to patch this one up and treat it rough, use it to practice while you build your next, better model!! Well done as it sounds to me like your flying skills are going well. 2 good solo flights, including solo launching, can't be bad!!?, don't get concerned and give up whatever else you do!!!
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:27 AM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
thats not a crash just a "hard" landing. A crash is when you need a bag to bring all the pieces back home. Congratulations on your Solo !!!!
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Feb 17, 2008, 02:07 PM
Check your six
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
I call it a controlled crash. Martin
martys is offline Find More Posts by martys
Old Feb 18, 2008, 06:58 AM
Germany, Winsen (Aller)
Joined Feb 2008
13 Posts
And another one...

Hi everybody,
thanks for your compassion and encouraging words.
It was as I expected and feared.
By straigtening and stiffening the forward airfraime I lost the collapsible zone. At my only flight on Sunday it was a bit windy. When trying to land, I didn't have enough thrust, the plane went down, and I pushed the elevator instead of pulling it (Beginner's mistake) . My F-15 broke its nose.
But now I realize:
The relaxing part of our hobby is not flying (For me, that's really stress!), but repairing the plane.
When I come home from Work it is getting dark, so I have to wait until next weekend to have another chance to repair my F-15.
twenty9
twenty9 is offline Find More Posts by twenty9
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:49 AM
Kiss the Sky
Dorking, Surrey, UK
Joined Jul 2006
2,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty9
The relaxing part of our hobby is not flying (For me, that's really stress!), but repairing the plane.
When I come home from Work it is getting dark, so I have to wait until next weekend to have another chance to repair my F-15.
twenty9
For me the relaxing part of the hobby is building, I love it, flying is great, but in a different 'andrenaline pumping' way!! Its the only way I will ever get to pilot everything from a Spitfire to an F-16, without killing myself (or hurting anyone else hopefully!!) Greatest hobby, IMHO, Got to love it all, don't you?!!
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:09 AM
Respect My Authauriti!!!!
United States, MO, Troy
Joined Jul 2007
141 Posts
My F-15 all camo'ed out

Sup everyone,

I posted a while back in here with this F-15 sporting the standard FF blue. I finally finished the paint job and the clear coat. I still have to put on the decals...maybe. It looks pretty good as is.

The power house is a Grayson 2212-06, 30A esc, and a Hobbycity 3s1p 2100mah lipo.

The green turned out a little dark than I wanted, but it works for me just fine.

Fanatic
Foam Fanatic is offline Find More Posts by Foam Fanatic