Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 20, 2001, 05:36 PM
Ready for a Vacation!
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2000
383 Posts
EDF's From Germany & Conversion Rates

I noticed something today that was shocking. With the current conversion rate you can get a Dornier twin airliner from WeMoTec for $160 or something but it costs $290 over here. Could this be true? Also S480BB race motors for under $20! What do they charge for shipping from Germany and does anyone know of other German r/c websites?
Andrew
AndrewK is offline Find More Posts by AndrewK
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2001, 05:46 PM
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Joined Feb 2001
574 Posts
It is probably around $45-50 to ship insured. Have them leave off the company label and write happy birthday on the outside and consider it an instant tax deduction.
Clayton is offline Find More Posts by Clayton
Old May 20, 2001, 05:57 PM
Joined Dec 2000
89 Posts
This is very likely to be true. I've been to the states last November and thought about shopping some RC stuff. This idea was withdrawn real quickly as I saw the US prices and calculated the DEM price.

Just a few german dealers URLs: http://www.hoellein.com http://www.schwab-modellbau.de http://www.batt-mann.de http://www.thommys.com http://www.mamo-modelltechnik.de http://www.langnickel-modellbau.com

Bear in mind that there are 16% german sales tax included in every quoted price, you won't pay if you export that thing. However, shipping is very expensive.

Achim
Achim Stegmeier is offline Find More Posts by Achim Stegmeier
Old May 20, 2001, 06:02 PM
Ready for a Vacation!
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2000
383 Posts
So after I run the conversion I can deduct another 16% in sales tax. Now this is REALLY a good deal even with $50 of shipping. It would cost $10 in the US so thats only $40 more. Thanks for the links, now I just need to learn German!
Andrew
Old May 20, 2001, 06:16 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Andrew - you take the catalogue price in Germany and deduct 16% off that - then add shipping + whatever import tax you might be charged with to get the total cost.

Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old May 20, 2001, 06:25 PM
Ready for a Vacation!
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2000
383 Posts
Import tax? Any idea how much that would be?
Andrew
Old May 20, 2001, 07:01 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Dont know what your US import tax is - if any.

Just for the record I pay 24% import tax on my stuff....
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old May 20, 2001, 07:03 PM
Ready for a Vacation!
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2000
383 Posts
24%! Thats crazy! I'll ask in open discussion about the import tax, I've never heard of that in the US. I'd love to be able to buy speed gear 400 PLUS gear drives for $58!
Andrew
Old May 20, 2001, 07:34 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,950 Posts
Andrew.. you've discovered that there is a HUGE markup on ordered stuff from Germany.. and probably elsewhere. Having looked into it a bit I came to the conclusuion that it's basically due to that simplest of human traits: GREED. Duties are virtually non existant, shipping is surprisingly inexpensive, while the current value of the DM translates into genuine bargains, if yur willing to wait 2 weeks for your new toys to arrive.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old May 20, 2001, 07:35 PM
Scale Builder
Albuquerque, N.M. USA
Joined May 2001
67 Posts
I ordered two Rbc kits from Hohhein hobby shop about two weeks ago,total cost including shipping was about $176.00 US dollars. I recieved my order about a week after I ordered. Shipping was about $37.00 US using their "premium" postage
Stu Cornwell is offline Find More Posts by Stu Cornwell
Old May 20, 2001, 07:51 PM
Ready for a Vacation!
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2000
383 Posts
Since I'm constantly on a tight budget I dont mind waiting for a great deal. A speed gear 480 for $37. Wow!!!
Andrew
Old May 20, 2001, 10:49 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,266 Posts
What do you do when you need help with a product?

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old May 21, 2001, 06:07 AM
Corvallis, OR
Joined Mar 2000
1,164 Posts
I have ordered from Hollein several times. Economy shipping is about $20 and it takes 2-3 weeks to arrive... not bad. I am not aware of the "import" tax...whether I was charged or not, the price is still a bargain.

Ron
electricrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by electricrcflyer
Old May 21, 2001, 07:26 AM
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Joined Nov 2000
667 Posts
Greetings!

At the same time, don't forget there are some good sources already here in the US of A. Specialized Model Supply, EAM and EJF and you'll get support too. I've shopped/bought from all three and have been satisfied with the service, product and the price. I did order a couple of motors last year from the right sdie of the Atlantic and had a long delay in getting. At another timer, I ordered a couple of the HobbyLand Me262 EDF models that came in thankfully pretty good condition but by the looks of the shipping box, I nearly had a heart attack. If you order something and it gets trashed in the shipment, you may well have little to no recourse. It's a risk to keep in mind. If you/we don't support our own in country dealers - and I mean the good ones - then we will hurt only ourselves in the long run........

Fly Fast! Mark
Mark Nankivil is offline Find More Posts by Mark Nankivil
Old May 21, 2001, 07:48 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
For those of you ordering from Germany or most any foreign land you should be aware of the following. Most consumers aren't aware of this and all dealers should be aware of it.

The Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTSA) is 2145 pages long, and the part about model airplanes is just a single sentence in section 9503.20.00. It reads,

"Reduced-size ("scale") model assembly kits, whether or not working models, excluding those of subheading 9503.10 [i.e., electric trains]; parts and accessories thereof . . . . . Free"

If you read further, you'll realize there is no U.S. import tariff, UNLESS it's coming from Afghanistan, Cuba, Laos, Korea, or North Vietnam, in which case it's 70%.

The HTSA document is an 8 megabyte, 2145 page PDF file.

James Frolik
Electric Flight Exchange
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik