SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2002, 09:24 PM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
My brand new Father's Day Zagi!

My brand new Father's Day Zagi! I drove all the way to Mike's Hobby Shop in Dallas to pick up the Zagi 400X kit and all the fixin's... (The biggest and coolest hobby shop I've ever seen http://www.mikeshobbyshop.com/ )

It flies like a dream! I did 5 consecutive loops with it this evening! Man, I'm getting 20 minute flights with this stock 1700AU battery and some throttle management. This is the best gliding plane I've ever had.

Now, I can understand why people are always so pumped up about Zagi's! I'm hooked...

Have fun!
Lewis
flytowner is offline Find More Posts by flytowner
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2002, 06:35 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Flying wings are a blast!!!! I don't have a zagi but a FMA Razor.
It has more flights on it than my other planes. And for some more fun, try one of Balsaman's Bat kits. About half the size of the zagi and its 400 direct drive. It flies as fast or faster than my Razor. It really moves out quickly!

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Jun 20, 2002, 09:32 AM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
If those are HS-55s you may want to think about upgrading to HS-81 with servo savors or HS-81MG.

One good knock on those elevons, you'll be putting new gears in those things.
HavingFun2002 is offline Find More Posts by HavingFun2002
Old Jun 20, 2002, 11:33 AM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
Yes, I installed HS-55 servos in my Zagi. Sounds like your speaking from experience! Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely be careful with the elevons! I'll look into the HS-81's in the future. Although, I do have an HS-55 gear kit if ever needed...

Thanks,
Lewis
Old Jun 20, 2002, 11:38 AM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
Yeah, I bet that Bat really cooks! I wonder if you'd be able to chase a real bat with it! We have a bat that usually pays us a visit at dusk and it definitely has a problem with our airplanes. It scared my flying buddy the other day. He landed his DuskStik and went to pick it up and the bat was fluttering around him very close! Ouch! I bet those rabies shots would hurt!!!

,Lewis
Old Jun 20, 2002, 11:59 AM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
Also:

Change those elevons and winglets to colorplast, when they break, and they will break.

Have fun.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 12:04 PM
San Antonio, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2001
1,108 Posts
I agree Mike's Hobby Shop is a cool place. I used to live in Dallas and I was there probably twice a week. Good luck with the Zagi. Take it up to altitude and roll that baby. Oh, and you're lucky,,,,I didn't get anything for father's day from my 3 month old. Bad wife,,,bad,,bad,,bad,,bad.
cruzomatic is offline Find More Posts by cruzomatic
Old Jun 20, 2002, 12:30 PM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
HavingFun2002,

Your bumming me out, man! Just kidding, I'll definitely look into alternate materials when things start "breaking". Right now, I'm on the high of a brand new great flying airplane!

cruzomatic,

That's terrible about your Father's Day! I'd be whinin' and cry'n 'til I got something! It doesn't matter if your kid is one day old or 50 years old, I think any dad is worth a Zagi kit for Father's day! Man, just think about all the crap we have to put up with! Just kidding, I have a 4 1/2 year old and a 5 month old and love every minute of it!
Last edited by flytowner; Jun 20, 2002 at 11:39 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2002, 11:49 PM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
I ordered three of the KR1400-AE batteries today from Zagi.com!
https://ecsvr.com/zagi/shopdisplaypr...s+and+Chargers
I got three for the price of two of the 1700's! I'm hoping that they aren't too much different than the 1700's in performance. If they are as advertised, I'll only loose about 3 minutes of runtime (I'm getting 20min flights with the 1700). Maybe the slightly shorter flights will help the motor last longer.

I've been able to fly it every night and still having a blast!
Old Jun 21, 2002, 12:03 AM
I'll have the roast duck
oakland, ca
Joined Jun 2001
296 Posts
Hey flytowner,
this guy has coroplast tips and elevons in sets, check him out!
http://www.hobiehawkinfo.com/Zagi4sale.html
maximus is offline Find More Posts by maximus
Old Jun 21, 2002, 07:52 AM
San Antonio, Texas USA
Joined Feb 2001
1,108 Posts
Flytowner,, I hear ya. Since then,,both he and my wife have been in "time-out". By the way,,,you don't happen to be an attorney are you?? lol,,
cruzomatic is offline Find More Posts by cruzomatic
Old Jun 21, 2002, 08:08 AM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maximus
Hey flytowner,
this guy has coroplast tips and elevons in sets, check him out!
http://www.hobiehawkinfo.com/Zagi4sale.html
These look good, but $10 for coroplast winglets seems a bit much. You can cut them in about 2 minutes.

Don't mean to be a downer on this tread. :-)
Old Jun 21, 2002, 09:24 AM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
HavingFun2002 and maximus,

Actually, Mike's Hobby Shop sold me a strip of that stuff for the winglets when I bought my kit but, I wanted to go stock at first. I've also seen that colorplast material on small real estate signs, for sale signs, etc... One of those signs could easily be obtained "borrowed" from a vacant lot, ditch, etc... Actually, you could probably cut off what you'd need for the elevons and winglets then put the newly "trimmed" sign back where you found it!

cruzomatic,

Well, hopefully, they've learned a lesson and will get you something next year!
Old Jun 21, 2002, 02:54 PM
Texas,USA
Joined May 2001
617 Posts
Yesterday, I had dogs chasing it on climb-out and birds chasing it in the air! Luckily, the dogs loose interest pretty quickly and they've moved on by the time I start my final approach...

Animals/Birds seem to be more intrigued by the Zagi than my other planes. It's probably a combo of the noise, shape, and color (BRIGHT RED)!

Dang this thing is fun!!!
Old Jun 21, 2002, 06:28 PM
I'll have the roast duck
oakland, ca
Joined Jun 2001
296 Posts
flytowner, yes coroplast is used for political, real estate and whoever signs, but I bet it's of the 4mm or more thickness. 2mm is usually a better thickness for Zagi tips. I know TAP Plastic carries 2mm.
maximus is offline Find More Posts by maximus