SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2002, 08:55 PM
Mesquite
Joined Jun 2002
6 Posts
Question about paint

First off...let me say that I know that this is not an electric question..but some of you guys fly glow as well..so here goes.

I am building my first glow plane and I am almost at the stage of painting it (FW-190a). I was wondering since I am going to have to put a clear flat 21st century coat on it (because I can not find any of the correct colors in a flat..only gloss) can the undercoats be a non fuel proof paint such as say rustolem spraypaint then shoot the whole thing with the fuelproof flat clear. Reason I ask is the fuel proof colors are about 8 dollars a can and rustolem is about 3.50 a can. I figured that since the top coat is fuel proof it might be ok...but thought I would ask you guys first. Thanks in advance

Lloyd
chevy53 is offline Find More Posts by chevy53
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2002, 09:59 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Paint

Hi Lloyd -

Check out Vailly Aviation or Bob Banka's scale documentation. There's a real good article about painting planes by Roy Vaillancourt In Banka's catalog that goes into all the details of using Benjamin Moore house paints for scale models. He covers fuel proofing too. This is for high quality serious scale paint jobs and it's relatively simple. It's one of the best articles on painting models I've seen.

Ron
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Jun 20, 2002, 10:14 AM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,961 Posts
Lloyd, it's generally considered poor form to post the same question to multiple forums. See reply to your thread in the Scale forum.

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old Jun 20, 2002, 10:20 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,664 Posts
Guys

I'd already PM'd Lloyd this morning regarding the multiple posting of this thread and the four different versions in the four different forums will be merged when the various mods log on and move them all in here.

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jun 20, 2002, 03:41 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
Welcome to the EZone Llyod.

Yes, dup postings get little mercy here, and the thread in the Parkflyer Forum has been deleted already. Here in open is the right spot.

But to the question, the final coat is what is important. That will seal the rest. But if not sealed good, the oil can seep under and lift it all.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk