HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:42 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
Will do! I was going to change the incidence by putting a 1/8" dowel between the fuse and wing about 1" from the leading edge of the wing, as instructed in other threads. After the work last night, I'm excited about the project. March can't get here fast enough

For reference, I have a 6x3 APC prop that I think will do well. I couldn't find a 6x2 that didn't require going to another website from my other supplies, which means $5 shipping
Wufnu is offline Find More Posts by Wufnu
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2006, 06:51 PM
Joined Sep 2005
117 Posts
Hope this is not out of place, but.....

Was just wondering how the other GWS warbirds fly converted. I've only done the F4U with a 0.061 and I was a little disappointed by the performance - I think because of the drag created by the nose.

Seems the Zero is a better bet,anyone tried the Spitfire and/or Mustang and/or ME109?

Just wondering.

btw Wufnu, previously, I was only able to get APC 6x 3 props for my 0.061. Works great and would probably be my prop of choice on something like the Zero. More recently, I do use smaller props (5.7 and 5) when vertical climb performance matters.
efish is offline Find More Posts by efish
Old Feb 17, 2006, 07:52 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
I've always thought the Spitfire would make a great glow flyer, just don't know how you could convert it since it doesn't have a plastic cowl and it would need an extended nose The 109 would do well, it has TONS of room to put a fuel tank in and a long snout to help balance things. To be honest, looking at my 109 while I build my zero, they almost look like the same plane (in terms of size of wing, fuse length, wingspan, etc) with different profiles and the zero's snubbed nose. Lots of room inside to stick stuff in but you'd have to cut the front end off and use magnets to make a removeable cowl and to mount the motor. I had to do that, AND make a battery bay, when I converted mine to brushless and lipo. If I'd have done it first it would have looked much better If you do make a 109 removeable cowl, and you get those uber powerful magnets to hold the nose on, it doesn't need 4. Repeat: don't use four of them. Ask me how I know...

Even though nobody has tried it, I bet the Tigermoth 400 would be a great conversion as well. I've never seen one in person, don't know how hard it would be to hide the motor in that thin cowl. But still, I bet it would fly very nice.

The poly has covered the parts nicely, will try and sand with 400 grit paper to get the roughness out (The poly finish feels like 7000000 grit sandpaper). I'll try to take some pictures, then probably start construction tonight.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:39 AM
Pilisvrörsvár, Hungary
Joined Jul 2004
49 Posts
Hi folks!

I also converted my GWS warbirds to glow (F4U & Me109). I used the AP Wasp .061 engine. For te Me109 I had to cut off the nose , and built a new cowl, but this is little bit ugly. At the moment I'm using APC 6x3 props. What are you think, can a 0.61 engine handle the APC 7x3?
hangya is offline Find More Posts by hangya
Old Feb 18, 2006, 03:21 AM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
Can't comment on the AP prop.

Here are some pictures for tonight. Was just going to do a few odds and ends and a few hours later I come out with a mostly completed aircraft. Made the mistake of not washing my hands everytime I glued something so my fingers collected black nasty which got all over my white plane. Either it'll sand out or... "It's just going to get nasty later anyways!"

The canopy didn't fit well at all, and I don't much like the velcro. I do like the 109's setup Either I'll find a way of better securing the canopy so it isn't loose, or just remove it entirely. I've always hated cutting out the gws plastic parts like cowls and canopies. I've always hated cutting out ailerons and moveable parts 'cause I always manage to fubar it. Best job yet on this zero, but far from what I would consider ok. They'll work, however.

It took all of my willpower to not mount the motor. I've got that project next week and don't want to take the whole plane in, plus I don't want to run the motor without a muffler that works and isn't split in half, so it'll just have to wait until then. Then it's a wait until March-ish so I can buy two more servo's and finish it off. Then crash on maiden into a million pieces. Good hobby.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 05:13 AM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
Also, does anyone have a set of zero landing gear they're not using? I land on pavement!
Old Feb 18, 2006, 05:15 AM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
Wuuuuuuuuups

Well, if I'm going to take up two spots might as well make a real post. After spending all that time sanding, then spraying with polyurethane, to have it all dirty looking? If I knew then what I know now, I would probably just cover the stupid thing as was already suggested. Would probably be alot quicker, and "more better," than sanding then spraying with poly.

And if you do spray it, do it after you put it together. Not before. Keep it clean
Last edited by Wufnu; Feb 18, 2006 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Double post!
Old Feb 18, 2006, 06:35 AM
Joined Sep 2005
117 Posts
Hi Hangya, yup the Wasp can turn an APC 7 x 3. No problem; did it on both 5% and 15% nitro - the latter is preferable. A little too slow to my liking for most of my planes, but it does seem to work well on the F4U (better than the 6 x 3). Think the extra airflow makes up for the decrease in RPM.

Wufnu, I bent a set of landing gear for my F4U from 2 mm wire. Took less than 10 mins of working out the angles from the manual plus a little eyeballing.
efish is offline Find More Posts by efish
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:28 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
Report was today, did well. Couldn't stand it so I mounted the motor to the motormount, looks good so far. Need to get some more fuel tubing, the bit I have on already doesn't fit. Was hard to get the right area out of the cowl to let the needle screw not be under pressure, ended up just cutting a good notch out of it so it would easily rotate.

Get me some fuel tubing, two servo's, and something to fix and direct that stupid exhaust, and I'll be on my way.

Used #2 brass wood screws to mount it, they didn't have #3.
Last edited by Wufnu; Feb 23, 2006 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Forgot the pictures!
Old Feb 24, 2006, 01:29 AM
Team Me!
AB, Canada
Joined Mar 2005
3,161 Posts
awsome!
P-38J-Lightning is offline Find More Posts by P-38J-Lightning
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:12 PM
"Push the button, Max!"
Joined Feb 2006
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efish
Hope this is not out of place, but.....

Was just wondering how the other GWS warbirds fly converted. I've only done the F4U with a 0.061 and I was a little disappointed by the performance - I think because of the drag created by the nose.

Seems the Zero is a better bet,anyone tried the Spitfire and/or Mustang and/or ME109?

Just wondering.

btw Wufnu, previously, I was only able to get APC 6x 3 props for my 0.061. Works great and would probably be my prop of choice on something like the Zero. More recently, I do use smaller props (5.7 and 5) when vertical climb performance matters.
I'm watching this thread closely because I'm converting my 109 for .049 glow. Great info here...

Fate
Professor Fate is offline Find More Posts by Professor Fate
Old Feb 24, 2006, 06:44 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts

Say, have you guys had any experiences with your wood screws coming out? I don't know how much these things are supposed to vibrate, I've only seen one glow motor run and it's mine... my fuel never foamed up, but I had a nut on a machined screw come loose once (when I had them bolted on, fine thread, bolt) so I CA'd them to keep them from dropping nuts. Wondering if the wood would absorb most of the vibration to keep the screws from coming out?

Don't want to lose my motor
Old Feb 24, 2006, 08:43 PM
McClintock on rcu
Brighton, Massachusetts
Joined Jul 2004
279 Posts
When I use wood screws in a nylon reinforced motor mount, they don't back out, but wood screws in wood have, so I put some polyurethane glue on the threads now.. (gorilla glue).. Just be sure to run at least once on the ground to be sure nothing moves! Great job on the conversion..
jaeder is offline Find More Posts by jaeder
Old Feb 24, 2006, 09:30 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
I used some odd logic to buy the rest of the stuff I need. I figured if I ordered it now, it'll get here around next Friday, which is the 3rd and technically next month. I also figured that $47 was close enough to $20.....

No control Got two naro servo's, landing gear with wheels (almost the same price as wheels), some DuBro EZ connectors, some small silicon fuel tubing, and some large silicon tubing for the exhaust.

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I have any poly glue laying around (besides the spray stuff I bought!). If I run out might just spray drilled holes with the poly and screw it on it. The CA I had used on the fine thread machine screws/nuts was pretty hard to get off without stripping the head, in case anyone was thinking of trying that on a bolted bolt. On the other hand, it was easy to unscrew the bolts after scraping most of the glue off with a hobby knife.

Was thinking it might be possible, somehow, to attach the motor to the motor mount with a zip tie or something, that way if it comes off at least the motor would stay with the plane instead of flying off into the field somewhere. Might also drill a hole into the muffler and put a screw in it or something, will try to find some plumbers tape or something to fill the muffler gap.

Tonight I think I'll strip the slow stick of it's servo's and put them in the Zero.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:22 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
On second thought, I think I'll just wait till my stuff gets here and fly my slow stick