HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2001, 11:06 PM
Canton, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2000
334 Posts
Kyosho F-16 w/Astro 805K on 8-cells . . .Disappointing!

Hey Duct-Heads,

I have a buddy that just tried flying the Kyosho F-16 on 8-cells (RC-2000s). He said the best he could do was a 250ft power glide and crash. Unfortunately, this is his first electric and first ducted fan. He's really disappointed with his first e-flight experience.

I told him this set-up should work (before I consulted this list. The AstroFlight website suggsets that this should work. But, it's a dog!

I also purchased an F-16 and plan to use 8-cell (800AR) to start with then move to 8-cell (1250s) with the stock set-up.

Does anyone have any advise for my buddy or any comments on what I plan to do?

Thanks,
Frank
Frankenator is offline Find More Posts by Frankenator
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2001, 11:15 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Just checked the Astro site - 32A/300W with 8*2000's.
Should be enough for nice flying although not by far one of the hotter setups around. How did the F16 balance? The reports I've seen said the marked CG = way noseheavy resulting in a high drag flight which is not very effective.

If the current draw is in the low 30's then he could try the smaller P2000NiHM cell. He'd loose .6oz per cell with those.

Hope it will work out!
-Haldor
-Haldor
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old May 20, 2001, 11:36 PM
Joined Nov 2000
334 Posts
Balance was within the recommeded range. It sounds like it really is screaming. I must admit I think 250 ft should be a flat enough take-off length before going for some altitude.

I just wish he tried a Zagi or something easier for a first electric. Most of his flying experience is with an Overpowered Avistar.

Frank
Old May 21, 2001, 03:46 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,017 Posts
We'd only be guessing what the problem could be without witnessing it but it sounds like something is screwy with the setup. Should be more than enough power to fly. Even the stock motor on 8-2000 cells will fly it pretty decent (not a rocket ship but it'll buzz around). Maybe he wasn't getting full throttle, it has happened before?? What speed control? More info.
This is mine on 805-2Y and flies on either 8 or 9-2400 cells, no dog http://www.angelfire.com/ca7/mwe/
top right corner, mpeg will automatically open up movie after download.

[This message has been edited by Troy (edited 05-21-2001).]
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
Old May 22, 2001, 01:40 AM
Joined Nov 2000
334 Posts
He's using the AstroFlight controller that came with it. He did leave the cooling cowls off and uncut to make it cleaner aerodynamically. I told him this was not a good idea for his motor. However, it never flew long enough to heat up. He did try turning the adjustment pot all the way up and got a few more RPMs, but still was a poor performer.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Frank
Old Jan 08, 2008, 01:01 PM
Mpls Mn
Joined Mar 2007
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy
top right corner, mpeg will automatically open up movie after download.
All I get trying to view it is a desktop full of spam popups.
Philscbx is offline Find More Posts by Philscbx
Old Jan 08, 2008, 01:52 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Probably because the post is 7 years old and the Angelfire account the poster linked to most likely doesn't exist any longer ... man, I can't even remember the last time I saw an Angelfire link. That's old school.

Be sure to check the dates next to the posts of when they were made, or else you'll ending up replying to stuff years later by accident at times.

Happy flying!
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Jan 15, 2008, 01:06 AM
Joined Sep 2006
192 Posts
I've found that heavy nose is way to go, After reading some comment suggest light nose set up and it reacts very nervous up&down.
Dragonus is offline Find More Posts by Dragonus