HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2006, 08:40 PM
Throw Caution to the Wind
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Discussion
Anyone tried Waypoint Servos from Soaring USA?

I have a couple projects on the bench (on top of the older unfinished projects) and need servos. One set for full length flaperons on a 60" "racer" and the other for large elevons.

I was cruising Soaring USA's site for HiTec HS85MGs which have served me well in my Moth, when I saw their new Waypoint servos. The numbers are good. The prices are better. I'm tempted. And also frightened.

Any reports on these? It's not worth saving money if I'm not saving money. If you know what I mean.

(I tried to follow that Wing Servo thread, but it dove off into uber-geek land and I got lost along the way.)
Lavawing is offline Find More Posts by Lavawing
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2006, 08:44 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Oops. Should have mentioned that these are foamies, so don't go all $100 ea Digital on me. Please.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 09:18 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,935 Posts
Waypoint

Lava:
The Waypoint servos are good. They are also known as "Blue Bird" but the cases are a different color.

The ONLY thing is service.. HT, and JR have service that is great. We have to send these to the other side of the country. And that can take a while.

Happy Landings!
Bob
Bro is offline Find More Posts by Bro
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 12, 2006, 05:07 AM
USA, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2004
2,600 Posts
I have a couple of different Blue Birds and they have been rock solid for a coupe of years. I have the smaller ones in some electrics, the 9gr and 6gr with BB, I'd say they offer a lot of bang for the buck. Hey, isn't that was foamies are for? Experimentation and value?
Sleedo is offline Find More Posts by Sleedo
Old Feb 12, 2006, 02:51 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Okay, unless someone posts some dirt, I'll hit the BUY button tomorrow.

Yes, they're foamies, but High Performance foamies. (At least for me, who owns nothing but foam.) Not planks, though, so hopefully not hypercritical anyway. I WOULD consider digitals in a plank -- ala Surfimp and his Moth. I don't know if I'd want to work hard enough to earn the cash, but I'd consider them.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 04:25 PM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,870 Posts
I have some bluebird BMS 306's (soaringusa) and compared to the gws/hitec micros they feel smooooth and with very little backlash.

The only real hassle would be getting gear replacements.
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Feb 12, 2006, 08:41 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Gear replacement? What about servo arms? Do they use something I can get?
Old Feb 12, 2006, 08:55 PM
Dale Lindsay
Mt Airy, Maryland, United States
Joined Sep 2001
653 Posts
Dave at lightflightrc.com has some small ones like the bluebirds or wayports. They may even be those, I just can't remember. I've used them and have had no problems. He has gearsets on all the smaller servos too.
DaleM is offline Find More Posts by DaleM
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:35 PM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,911 Posts
David Sobel @ allerc.com sells gearsets.

I'm behind you all the way with buying some . . . as soon as we get that first flight report.
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:10 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Waypoint W-150MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro
Lava:
The Waypoint servos are good. They are also known as "Blue Bird" but the cases are a different color.

The ONLY thing is service.. HT, and JR have service that is great. We have to send these to the other side of the country. And that can take a while.

Happy Landings!
Bob
Bob,
have you tried the W-150MG or do you know of anyone who has used these servos in a moldie or other high performance sailplane application for ailerons/flaps instead of say the Hitec HS-85MG? Would this be a suitable application for these servos as far as centering accuracy, strength, and reliability? Any info on these would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Feb 24, 2006, 01:33 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
I don't think these Waypoint servos from Soaring USA will work. For this reason: They don't seem to have them.

I ordered a 4-pack of the 150s and a 4-pack of the 080s. By the numbers, these should have been reasonable subtitutes for Hitec HS85MGs and HS55s respectively.

My order arrived yesterday. The 150s were backordered. The 080s had been substituted with Blue Bird BMS-306s.

Unfortunately, the 306s don't seem to be as tough and are not as strong as the 080s, so I'm sending them back. And when I called, they said they'd be substituting a different servo (Blue Bird again) for the 150s, as they couldn't get the Waypoint servos.

So. Who knows? I changed my order to HS85MGs (In stock and already shipped).
Old Feb 24, 2006, 08:42 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,935 Posts
Waypoint/BMS (BlueBird)

Howdy:

Waypoint/BMS are both made by the same company. The gears are interchangable, and the only difference is purple, or blue cases.
I have seen/used both. Waypoint are blue, and made specifically for 1 customer, who is in Japan.

Would I (me)use the 150's in a high performance sailplane?
No, I personally use lots of HT digis, and JR's. And for my competition planes, I use Volz on the flaps, and sometimes on the ailerons, depending on the thickness of the wing.
And, as I stated above, SERVICE....

What are the 150's good for???
They are exceptional for Foam applications. Lots of torque, and strong gears, and good value. I would use them in 4.8V Flap applications on a 60" sailplane, yes.

The Waypoint/Bluebird micros are excellent in 3D foamies, and we have many in customers hands, with great success. I have only seen a few stripped gears, and they are strong little buggers.

Hope this helps....

Bob
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 24, 2006, 09:04 PM
Oceanside CA
Joined Dec 2004
4,046 Posts
BOB I need your phone number!
Mr. Innocent is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Innocent
Old Feb 24, 2006, 09:16 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Feb 2004
2,651 Posts
Does it seem slightly odd that I ordered this:

Waypoint W-084
Size-24 x 11 x 24mm 0.96 x 0.43 x 0.96
Weight- 8.4g 0.3oz
Speed- 0.12 sec 60deg
Torque-1.5 kg/cm 21 oz/in
4.8 V only-6V not recommended

And received this:

Blue Bird BMS-306
Size: 22 x 10 x 24 mm / 0.86 x 0.4 x 0.9 in.
Weight: 6.6 Grams / 0.23 oz (with wire)
Torque At 4.8V: 12 oz.in.
Speed At 4.8V: 0.11 sec / 60

Specifically per Torque. I needed 16+oz/in for my application.

I was hoping the 084s (pardon my calling them 080s in above posts) would be similar to HiTec HS55s. I couldn't get the W-150MGs at all. Not that I'm an unhappy customer. I'm getting HS-85MGs, which is what I was trying to get in the first place. Just detoured into trying to get something similar for less.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:16 PM
Bro
Southern California
Joined Feb 2003
1,935 Posts
Waypoint

Lava:
you had the wrong servos sent. Pulled wrong... Soooo sorry...
But, as for the waypoint/BMS (bluebird) they are the same.

sorry for the confusion...

Happy Landings!
Bob
Site Sponsor