HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:39 PM
Joined Nov 2005
212 Posts
Discussion
Things that make you go hmmmm

I find it very amusing lately...everyone seems to claim that THEY were the ones to bring photofield technology to sims...

I just saw an add for G3 that says "From the people who brought Photofield technology to R/C Simulation"....I guess everyone who has photofield technology in the sims claims they created the technology....Don't get me wrong..not knocking anyone or any company..just find it amusing that the Big 3 are saying the same thing...or am I confused???...

Ken
helo36 is offline Find More Posts by helo36
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:49 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Well, Photofield is a registered trademark Owner is Lightning Bolt Pix, Inc. of California. G3 shows the (tm) (should actually be an (R) but I digress). I assume it is licenced to them? PreFlight uses the term generically as I'm sure the others do. They can expect a letter.
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:50 PM
I have beef with no man
London
Joined Jul 2005
233 Posts
Ignore them all, it was my idea, mine mine mine!!!
Flappers is offline Find More Posts by Flappers
Old Feb 10, 2006, 01:37 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
On this side of the pond it is first to invent, not file.
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Feb 12, 2006, 01:42 AM
Joined Jan 2005
16 Posts
I think the original Realflight did have a photofield view. It's been awhile since I owned it.
frontman is offline Find More Posts by frontman
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:34 PM
Hotep
UK
Joined Dec 2005
2,395 Posts
So who was 1st then ? after Flappers that is ???
ShuNut is offline Find More Posts by ShuNut
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:10 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
FMS of course!
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Feb 19, 2006, 03:26 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,932 Posts
If you want to get real technical, Flying Corps Gold, the Win 95 WWI flight sim is probably the first to do this. They did the ground images directly from colorized (tm) B/W WWI observation photo fields, The image BMP for FMS's Islet .scn is done from an aerial photo of a tropical lagoon/island.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Last edited by Looooeeee!; Feb 19, 2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 09:30 AM
United Kingdom, England, Oxford
Joined Jul 2002
204 Posts
"Photofield technology" isn't about rendering terrain projecting photos onto the surface - the discussion here is about rendering complicated scenery using a small set of images placed around a fixed observer in a kind of optical illusion. The basic idea has been used in games long before 1995 and is called a skybox, and is just a static graphical representation - it doesn't interact with anything. On top of that each sim has done various "extra" stuff to make it useable to render the whole static scene - the most important things for R/C sims are
1. being able to superimpose shadows onto the background, assuming the ground is flat
2. being able to superimose shadows onto the background, for more complicated geometry
3. being able to occlude dynamic objects by part of the static scene (e.g. when you fly behing a house)
4. integrate lighting used in the original "skybox" photos into the rendering of the dynamic objects - basic stuff like making the light colour/direction match up, up to making shiny dynamic surfaces reflect the environment.
5. Extract collision information from the source photos and use them in some way to affect the physics

More too I'm sure. In addition, for each of these things there's probably a handful of technical solutions. So this is why each sim that says it's doing something original is probably right.
Mr Rowl is offline Find More Posts by Mr Rowl