HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2006, 09:41 AM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
Download
G-3 Public Beta (.426) is out. Includes Airplane Importer!

Check out the announcment on the KnifeEdge Boards.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11673
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2006, 09:52 AM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Thank you Knife Edge!!!!!!

Been waiting for that importer to come out. I know this is a beta, but at least we have something to look at!!!!

I will try it over lunch (Don't have my controller with me today, or I would try it now at work) and report back.
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:55 AM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,417 Posts
Exactly what will the importer, import? Is there software available to design planes and heli's that you can then import, similar to AFPD? Haven't been following the RealFlight stuff to closely but was thinking about ordering it. I like AFPD's import feature of lots of user designed planes. Would be nice if RealFlight wasn't so proprietary and would also allow this.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:09 PM
United States, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,630 Posts
the imported imports and exports new free planes. i was helping test out the planes. they are so awesome you would beleive it. we are going to have just as many free downlaods in the future as aerofly pro has. i am gonna update again. ryan
Ryan Archer is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Archer
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:28 PM
Joined Jan 2005
556 Posts
At the moment you need to have a 3d software package called AutoDesk 3ds Max to create new 3D representations of planes/helicopters which are then imported into G3. Unfortunately this is $3500! (The company I work for paid for the one I use) Knife Edge is trying to work out solution that uses a free 3d software package called GMAX. Just to make it clear if you want to create completely new visual representations of planes/helicopters you will need another piece of software. It goes like this ...

1. create a new plane in 3DS MAX
2. export the plane from 3DS MAX as .KEX file (using the exporter provided by KE)
3. import the .KEX file into RealFlight G3 (.426)
4. define the flight characteristics using the G3 aircraft editior
5. export the new plane for sharing as a .G3X file
nemo_uk is offline Find More Posts by nemo_uk
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:37 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Quote:
...we are going to have just as many free downlaods in the future
When is "future"? At $3500 for the SW to design a plane, I suspect most folks will charge for them. Surely there's a better way to do this?
rutat is offline Find More Posts by rutat
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:44 PM
Joined Jan 2005
556 Posts
I'm in the process of making these available ... www.rfmodels.com . I have no intention of charging people for them . I get a kick out of making them. Its a lot more fun using the over priced software to create planes & helicopters than it is to create architectural visualisations.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:50 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
That is great - but really out of the realm of most users of G3. Maybe some day "in the future"...
Old Feb 10, 2006, 01:17 PM
Joined Jan 2005
556 Posts
well at least there will be the option of downloading free planes ... all be it only a few.

It is a shame because using GMAX would have been ideal
Old Feb 10, 2006, 01:28 PM
Abington Ma
Joined Feb 2005
70 Posts
nemo,

Great looking planes.It will be nice to have a few new planes to fly.i am just about done w/my katana, do know when we can download the planes from your site.

Keep up the great work

tx
dogga
dogga22 is offline Find More Posts by dogga22
Old Feb 10, 2006, 01:54 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Yes!!! Very nice planes nemo!!! Cant wait to try on that katana and the flatty!!!
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Feb 10, 2006, 06:58 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,417 Posts
Well, if RealFlight is finally going to be able to import independently designed models, then I think it will be time to get the simulator. One of the things that stopped me from buying it in the first place, not to mention all the other problems that were associated with releasing the software before its time. Glad I wasn't a Beta tester as everyone who bought the program was.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Feb 10, 2006, 07:18 PM
Joined Mar 2004
5,237 Posts
Maybe one day when they drop the $3500 SW package required for plane modeling I'll reconsider it. But frankly, that sim will have to get a whole lot better. I was truly disappointerd with G3 and I tried it with my controller. I have G2 and I'll stick with it and the other big names. Eye candy is all you get in G3. MHO
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:07 PM
Corona, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2004
30 Posts
Woohoo! It's got a blimp in it. Hehehe. After flying the blimp around for a while backwards, I finally turned the knob. Vectered thrust. I know, I am easily amused.
TommyBurger is offline Find More Posts by TommyBurger
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:40 AM
Rat
Come get me if you can
Rats nest Grafton ND
Joined Aug 2004
2,249 Posts
Nemo, get that Magpie ready for action. Reduce the dihedreal and add ailerons to it.

What inexpensive program can be used to edit the colors etc???? When nemo gets the Magpie done I would like to use the colors from my two magpies on it.

Who is going to flatten out an ultimate (elfite ultimate 3D profile) and do a full fuse ultimate with flat wings)???? How about a Mini Funtana copy???? A parkflyer sized J3 cub,Slo V,Slow Stick, ParkZone Stryker????
Rat is offline Find More Posts by Rat