HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2006, 01:25 PM
Suspended Account
Redding, Ca
Joined Nov 2005
5,040 Posts
Im pretty sure i could make my own drop box that would be much lighter.
Nick J is offline Find More Posts by Nick J
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:09 AM
Torrance, California, United States
Joined May 2004
38 Posts
I just successfully dropped a parachutist I made run off 2 Hs-55 servos, and a micro reciever... the ram air chute was difficult, but not impossible to make, I made it out of ripstop nylon because it is easier to sew and you arent fighting the static cling wanting to hold the chute closed after you've folded it. chute worked great, we dropped it from about 400 feet from an electric powered glider. total weight of the skydiver with parachute was 3.5oz. it may be able to be lifted by one of the larger helicopters...

~Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
Its very dificult to make a ram air parachute... and at the scale to be carried by the microheli, I wouldn't want to be the one trying. But you can make one of the semi-steerable round ones.

There are 4.9 gram proportional servos and under 5 gram 4 channel recievers available now. They'll operate on a single cell 150 mah LiPo. The system can be stuffed into a blow molded plastic figure. PROBABLY you cold keep it under the weight of the 9v transitor battery powered wireles videos systems which the Blade CP/HoneybeeCP2 can get off the ground with. (but they struggle with carrying those..) Steering would be marginal with the round chute.

A small glider wouldn't come out any lighter than the above method of making a parachutist.
firmabs6pk is offline Find More Posts by firmabs6pk
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:52 AM
Joined Sep 2005
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanhTran
I'm hoping my swift could carry a 550 gram camcorder or a decent still camera when I'm done. Don't know about 3 pounds . I think that's too much. Last time when I tried AP, I asked my Trex to carry 250g payload. Trex wasn't really happy.

It would be fun to drop something out of the heli when it's flying though
interest Thanh,, make sure you got a parachute on the cam.. it will damn fun to see onboard video and also on parachute while you drop down
lowflyer101 is offline Find More Posts by lowflyer101
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:56 AM
Suspended Account
Redding, Ca
Joined Nov 2005
5,040 Posts
Yea but how would it land?
Nick J is offline Find More Posts by Nick J
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:47 AM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Hit the ground? If the parachute is any good, impact with the ground shouldnt be too hard.

And anyway, you wont do it over tarmac or anything...lol
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:53 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmabs6pk
I just successfully dropped a parachutist I made run off 2 Hs-55 servos, and a micro reciever... the ram air chute was difficult, but not impossible to make, I made it out of ripstop nylon because it is easier to sew and you arent fighting the static cling wanting to hold the chute closed after you've folded it. chute worked great, we dropped it from about 400 feet from an electric powered glider. total weight of the skydiver with parachute was 3.5oz. it may be able to be lifted by one of the larger helicopters...

~Adam
Sounds like you're better with a sewing machine than average... but thats still too heavy for the microhelis to lift. It wouldn't be a problem for a 1 meter rotor span (appx 500 mm blades) heli.

Add 3.5 oz to a Blade CP, or a Honeybee CP2 and it won't get off the ground for long if at all.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Mar 19, 2006, 04:19 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
841 Posts
The camcorder would need a round chute. Any good ram air canopy gets its control from its forward speed as in its glide ratio. The seven cell ram air would be more usefull for the skydiver unless you know how to stall the canopy with equal inputs from both servos- then you could experiment with different fabrics and more cells built into the canopy.

If any one can get your heli to @ 1800' I'll personally take video of it.

also there are some amazing systems for deploying chutes made for sky surfing boards that are small.
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Last edited by coolboarder; Mar 19, 2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 05:30 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
Sounds like you're better with a sewing machine than average... but thats still too heavy for the microhelis to lift. It wouldn't be a problem for a 1 meter rotor span (appx 500 mm blades) heli.

Add 3.5 oz to a Blade CP, or a Honeybee CP2 and it won't get off the ground for long if at all.
But this is the mini heli forum, and a Trex etc can lift weights like that.
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:03 AM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,033 Posts
Our Micro Skydiver from RCSkydiving.com will work great on a T-Rex. The whole skydiver ready to jump is only 10 oz. Don't let the size fool you, I won the Muncie Skydiver Ralley with a Micro Jumper.
edge_pilot is online now Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My 2 favorite everyday flyers!
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:33 AM
Heli Monger
New York Ny/Newark La Guardia, New York, United States
Joined Jun 2004
760 Posts
What you need to do is have the R/C Skydiver open the chute and then have your kamikaze heli go rip him up....
eMeNeX is offline Find More Posts by eMeNeX
Old Nov 23, 2006, 07:33 AM
21st Century Space Cowboy
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
Then it's scratch one expensive heli & RC skydiver.....
TachyonDriver is offline Find More Posts by TachyonDriver
Old Nov 23, 2006, 09:42 AM
Heli Monger
New York Ny/Newark La Guardia, New York, United States
Joined Jun 2004
760 Posts
But think of the Carnage!... OK we'll let the drop heli get away and send Walkera's at the Skydiver.
eMeNeX is offline Find More Posts by eMeNeX