Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 09, 2006, 11:34 PM
Suspended Account
Redding, Ca
Joined Nov 2005
5,040 Posts
Discussion
Rc skydiver on a heli?

I saw this in Fly rc magizine thought it would be cool on a heli. They look fun.

http://www.rcskydiving.com/about1.htm
Nick J is offline Find More Posts by Nick J
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:38 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,129 Posts
Great concept Heliman, but I believe the particular application is not right for a Trex. They talk about a weight of 3lb! I reckon the heli itself would do a pretty good sky-dive carrying that much!
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:47 AM
Joined Jul 2004
418 Posts
I guess a TRex could always try carrying a smaller R/C chuter.. *one that weighed far less..*using microservos and such*
spinbotz is offline Find More Posts by spinbotz
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:29 AM
Laughing so hard it hurts
Dayton, OH
Joined Dec 2005
409 Posts
And who or what exactly is going to control the plane or heli while you're busy controlling the skydiver????
Twistedblades is offline Find More Posts by Twistedblades
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:26 AM
College Station, TX USA
Joined Dec 2003
1,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedblades
And who or what exactly is going to control the plane or heli while you're busy controlling the skydiver????

It would be a group effort You fly the heli and a friend flys the other...or other way around.
Keep'em Flying,
Nick
Nick Maxwell is offline Find More Posts by Nick Maxwell
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:30 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
The guys doing the RC skydiuvers use the same principal as the guys doing the cradle launched sailplanes.

The "Carrier" is controlled by one pilot, each "parasite" gets controlled by its own pilot.

For the sailplanes that are carried up in cradles and the RC parachutists, the carrier controls the separation.

For sailplanes that are towed up in a scale manner, both the towplane and the sailplane pilots would have the ability to operate a release.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Feb 10, 2006, 02:42 PM
T-rex addict
Middelburg, Zeeland, Holland
Joined Sep 2004
79 Posts
Some guys from the local flying field did it sometime ago. They took a 'big-lift' just ad a mechanism with a release servo. Parachute control was just with 2 std servo's in V-mix for left-right and a little bit of dive speed control.
I saw the drop it was quite cool but short (less then 10sec).

Course with just std electronics it would be too heavy for rex, but if you use micro-electronics it should be possible right...
David Wielemaker is offline Find More Posts by David Wielemaker
Old Feb 10, 2006, 05:12 PM
Suspended Account
Redding, Ca
Joined Nov 2005
5,040 Posts
Mabe a swift would do it
Nick J is offline Find More Posts by Nick J
Old Feb 10, 2006, 06:10 PM
Northern California
Joined Feb 2004
586 Posts
I've dropped a small skydiver from my HB. Obviously, not r/c, but it was kind of fun. I've got the video somewhere.
T.J. Kong is offline Find More Posts by T.J. Kong
Old Feb 10, 2006, 06:30 PM
Mad Heli Scientist
Rangiora, Canterbury, New Zealand (Aotearoa)
Joined Jun 2004
842 Posts
Ive dropped a lego man from my FP , but he didnt have a parachute... is that mean or what

Shannon.
BigS is offline Find More Posts by BigS
Old Feb 11, 2006, 04:59 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliman13
Mabe a swift would do it
I'm hoping my swift could carry a 550 gram camcorder or a decent still camera when I'm done. Don't know about 3 pounds . I think that's too much. Last time when I tried AP, I asked my Trex to carry 250g payload. Trex wasn't really happy.

It would be fun to drop something out of the heli when it's flying though
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Feb 11, 2006, 05:00 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigS
Ive dropped a lego man from my FP , but he didnt have a parachute... is that mean or what

Shannon.
hehe, maybe it's mean if you have ants or bugs in there

thanh
Old Feb 11, 2006, 05:02 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
Maybe we can carry a small glider by helicopter. Drop it off in the middle of thin air. Another person would control that glider around . small Glider is lighter than a parachute I hope.

thanh
Old Feb 11, 2006, 06:11 AM
bat
cincinnati
Joined Jun 2003
1,459 Posts
all you need is two hs 50 micro servos an a light weight trash can liner. then spend a whole bunch of time with the trash liner making a small air ram parachute and then make a small little guy with the two hs-50 servos and you have a homemade mini parachutist making an entire parachutist that weighs 75 grams should be easy that is in range for a trex.
bat is offline Find More Posts by bat
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:21 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Its very dificult to make a ram air parachute... and at the scale to be carried by the microheli, I wouldn't want to be the one trying. But you can make one of the semi-steerable round ones.

There are 4.9 gram proportional servos and under 5 gram 4 channel recievers available now. They'll operate on a single cell 150 mah LiPo. The system can be stuffed into a blow molded plastic figure. PROBABLY you cold keep it under the weight of the 9v transitor battery powered wireles videos systems which the Blade CP/HoneybeeCP2 can get off the ground with. (but they struggle with carrying those..) Steering would be marginal with the round chute.

A small glider wouldn't come out any lighter than the above method of making a parachutist.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771