SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2006, 11:34 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Discussion
Revo heli on Hobby Lobby Crash Sale

I just purchased the Revo heli on Hobby Lobby Crash Sale. After ordering the unit, I realized it didn't come with a gyro. I am new to helis. I thought the earlier offer of the revo on hobby lobby at 89.00 included the gyro or was I mistaken? I wish I had known, I don't think I would have bought it, might have been better off buying the blade cp or cx. Any thoughts on the deal anyone? Thanks.
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2006, 11:44 AM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,129 Posts
I thought it was $49.00.. ? (discontinue special) If your going to go ahead with the build pickup a good gyro and ESC so when it bites the dust and when HL no longer stocks parts you can just move you gear over to something else like a MX-400, Trex, or shogun.
raynet11 is offline Find More Posts by raynet11
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Storage:
Old Feb 09, 2006, 12:11 PM
Moving to Crouch, Idaho
Kona Hawaii
Joined Sep 2005
230 Posts
You thought wrong!!
Sfcoffee is offline Find More Posts by Sfcoffee
Old Feb 09, 2006, 12:14 PM
Will fly some day
Brampton, ON
Joined Dec 2003
361 Posts
No, a gyro was never included in the offer. I ordered mine at old sale price and got a bare bone heli.
willfly is offline Find More Posts by willfly
Old Feb 09, 2006, 01:14 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynet11
I thought it was $49.00.. ? (discontinue special) If your going to go ahead with the build pickup a good gyro and ESC so when it bites the dust and when HL no longer stocks parts you can just move you gear over to something else like a MX-400, Trex, or shogun.
which gyro would you recommend, and where should I get it? Thanks.

Henry
Old Feb 09, 2006, 01:15 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfcoffee
You thought wrong!!
is it a good heli?
Old Feb 09, 2006, 01:16 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willfly
No, a gyro was never included in the offer. I ordered mine at old sale price and got a bare bone heli.
Thanks I feel better. I thought last time I saw it with the gyro must have been wishful thinking. I will need a 6 channel trans and gyro. I wonder if I bought the blade cp or cx the gyro and trans would work on the revo? Or is that a cheap trans/gyro? Thoughts anyone?
Old Feb 09, 2006, 02:20 PM
Sponsored by Team Me
Montgomery, IL
Joined Aug 2005
7,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taekwondo
which gyro would you recommend, and where should I get it? Thanks.

Henry
Gyro's are like Tx's buy the best you can afford if you plan on sticking with it, I would say at very least a Futaba 240 or 401, the 401 is the better deal for the $$ even though it's a few bucks more. The 240 and 401 are both heading hold gyro's vs the cheaper Piezo gyro's that you see from GWS, Esky, etc.. A piezo gyro dampens all movement including your stick movement so there is a trade off of performance vs stability. The heading hold gyro's will hold like a vise grip but only until you give stick movement, you let go it locks, there are no trade off between stability and performance like you get with the piezo style gyro's the money is well worth it and will make your flying that much more enjoyable and the wind will be less of a factor. The cheaper heli's like the honeybee and blade use the piezo style gyro's it still works you just find yourself tending to the tail a little more then you would with a heading hold unit.

cheers,
Ray
raynet11 is offline Find More Posts by raynet11
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Storage:
Old Feb 09, 2006, 02:59 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynet11
Gyro's are like Tx's buy the best you can afford if you plan on sticking with it, I would say at very least a Futaba 240 or 401, the 401 is the better deal for the $$ even though it's a few bucks more. The 240 and 401 are both heading hold gyro's vs the cheaper Piezo gyro's that you see from GWS, Esky, etc.. A piezo gyro dampens all movement including your stick movement so there is a trade off of performance vs stability. The heading hold gyro's will hold like a vise grip but only until you give stick movement, you let go it locks, there are no trade off between stability and performance like you get with the piezo style gyro's the money is well worth it and will make your flying that much more enjoyable and the wind will be less of a factor. The cheaper heli's like the honeybee and blade use the piezo style gyro's it still works you just find yourself tending to the tail a little more then you would with a heading hold unit.

cheers,
Ray
Ray:

Thanks for taking time to explain that to me. Unfortuantely, I buy the cheap transmitters because I believe in bang for the buck. So I assume the 49.00 gyro they have on HL is a piezo style gyro. How much would a heading hold gyro like the futaba 401 cost and where should I get it from?
Old Feb 09, 2006, 03:14 PM
Hold my beer.....
Fredericksburg, TX
Joined Aug 2005
963 Posts
I have used both the Ikarus micro gyro and even the GWS PG-03 (gasp) on helis - they all work just fine - it's just a matter of how much skill you want to dedicate to flying the tail. Also, you really need a HH gyro if you are going to do 3D/hard aerobatics, since I have no interest in that - I have gotten away with flying some cheap gyros......
sharky47 is offline Find More Posts by sharky47
Old Feb 09, 2006, 04:41 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky47
I have used both the Ikarus micro gyro and even the GWS PG-03 (gasp) on helis - they all work just fine - it's just a matter of how much skill you want to dedicate to flying the tail. Also, you really need a HH gyro if you are going to do 3D/hard aerobatics, since I have no interest in that - I have gotten away with flying some cheap gyros......
Which cheapo gyro would you recommend? I am a newbie with a heli, intermediate with plane.
Old Feb 09, 2006, 04:44 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
I found this.

GWS PHA-300 - 3 in 1 Gyro, Mixer and Electronic Speed Controller.
AU$99
US$69
Old Feb 09, 2006, 04:51 PM
kids ate my heli budget
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2005
1,782 Posts
Read the EHBG
jameotron is offline Find More Posts by jameotron
Old Feb 09, 2006, 04:55 PM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,801 Posts
Before you go any further with this heli, you may want to figure how much you want to invest.
From what you mentioned in your above posts, your gonna need alot of stuff, and it's gonna add up quick. To get you started:

Heli Radio with Revo mixing $140
Receiver $50
4 servos $60
25 Amp Speed Controller $ 50
Cheap Gyro $50
Brushless Motor $50
Lipo $50
Charger $50

As you can see it adds up FAST!!!

The cost of the heli kit is usually the least of your worries.

The PHA 300 is not capable of flying a heli like the Revo. It is also designed for a lower amp, smaller sized brushed motor. To fly well, your gonna need a brushless motor and a Brushless ESC....

Shane
skeppley is offline Find More Posts by skeppley
Old Feb 10, 2006, 07:50 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeppley
Before you go any further with this heli, you may want to figure how much you want to invest.
From what you mentioned in your above posts, your gonna need alot of stuff, and it's gonna add up quick. To get you started:

Heli Radio with Revo mixing $140
Receiver $50
4 servos $60
25 Amp Speed Controller $ 50
Cheap Gyro $50
Brushless Motor $50
Lipo $50
Charger $50

As you can see it adds up FAST!!!

The cost of the heli kit is usually the least of your worries.

The PHA 300 is not capable of flying a heli like the Revo. It is also designed for a lower amp, smaller sized brushed motor. To fly well, your gonna need a brushless motor and a Brushless ESC....

Shane
I agree, it was an impulse buy. I have much equiupment from my planes, but will need a 6 channel radio and gyro. Everything else I have I think. I may buy their 49.00 gyro at HL and also the 25.00 brushless motor they recommend. I will still need a 6 channel radio.