HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2006, 10:10 PM
Joined Jul 2005
696 Posts
Discussion
Homebuilt X-Twin/AeroAce Powered Micro Jets

Thought of starting a new thread for the x-twin/aeroace enthusiasts to show-off their homebuilt jets, in line with the introduction of the new aeroace micro jet by Airhogs.

Here's my finally completed and fitted F-15 Eagle (12" wingspan). Test flown it in my living hall last night and it seems to fly very slowly but without much lift as it is a bit overweight at 22.0g. From the pictures you could see that I have removed chunks and chunks of 3mm foams from the airframe that was built from my previous post here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=229

and covered the surface with much lighter and flexible 0.5mm insulation foam to achieve a lighter airframe. The effect of it seemed to have boost the appearance of my F-15, as compared to the original when it was built.

Will try to trim some excess foams and bits to make it lighter and able to lift easily, and hopefully maiden her successfully. Its quite a challenge to build and trim a flyable jet using the x-twin power unit. Hopefully more homebuilt x-twin/aeroace jets appears in this thread.

hklam
hklam is offline Find More Posts by hklam
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2006, 10:12 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Nice job! Consier scaling the whole thing down a bit for the version 3.0, though :-P I'd say 9-10 inches oughtta do it, cause one single 6mm motor will underpower a 8" span one quite nicely :-)
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Feb 09, 2006, 02:53 AM
Joined Jul 2005
696 Posts
Thanks Pete. I think you may be spot on there on the flyable dimension for jets powered by the limited power of the x-twin motors. But for 9 - 10 inches wingspan, it may be a fast and furious flyer to contend with, control issues especially for differential thrust.

Hmm, I thought of building a profile F-15 from balsa sticks and covered with similar insulation foam as it is non-tearable and flexible yet sturdy and waterproof, but at similar dimensions as my current one. It will be lighter I think, and the x-twin power units should be able to handle it pretty well, and without uncontrollable issue too. Maybe......if that is workable, then I can conjure-up more profile x-twin jets in the likes of F16, F18 Hornet, and also the F22 Raptor.

Guys, now its your turn to do up some for us to view and enjoy!

hklam
Old Feb 09, 2006, 11:16 AM
♠ ♂ ♠
Mile High City
Joined Dec 2004
473 Posts
Here is my original post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=267 Its an F-22 Raptor Profile . All the info for the 11 inch wingspan model that Did fly is on that page. I still Felt @ 18G AUW it was alittle heavy. Never flew fast, needed 1/2 throttle all the time, When going to Full throttle it didn't climb or go any faster. Battery positioned Vertical helped to keep JeT flat.

Here is the First pic of my 2nd ver. It NEVER FLEW. Big bummer but I learned a few things.

The Wing Span is a TINY 8 1/2 inches. Total Length 9 1/2 inches Airframe was a mere 4 Grams. I don't have the AUW on hand. It never flew here is why; First the battery was mounted Horizontal bottom of Wing leading edge. The problems it caused were CG was to High, the model had Almost NO Dihrederal so once it got going it would just Barrel roll always to left. Even though left/right CG seemed good while tunning it on a string.
Second I didn't want to cut the Small flat airfoil wing, so I put the pushers on the Trailing edge. No matter what Angle Of Attack I adjusted the motors It whould not fly level. It did want To Climb till almost 90 ,Stalled and crashed somtimes. That should tell you move the battery forward, But the battery couldn't move anymore. So with more fine tunning, and a bigger Vertical fusalage so I can give the model Lower CG and move battery forward. In therory it will fly ! ohhh yes , it will fly.__

Im waiting for my stash of 1ohm resistors so I could try the One motor and actuator mod on the tiny 8 1/2 model.. Airplanes will be easy with the AA guts then. Scale down the popular pusher jets and Go____

After looking at the REAL Airhogs SpinMaster Jet I used the 45mm props as reference for size.
Real AA jet: Wingspan 6 = 10.62 inches
Length 5 = 8.85 inches
Elevator 4 = 7.08 inches
Wing chord 2 = 3.53 inches
bEbOp ? is offline Find More Posts by bEbOp ?
Last edited by bEbOp ?; Mar 22, 2006 at 11:12 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2006, 04:14 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,190 Posts
sukhoi in progres...

OK, I've jumped onboard. I got this much built last night, one elevator not glued on and the front section is just sitting there at the moment. I'll finish up tonight. 2mm depron material used.

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Feb 09, 2006, 05:15 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
nice looking jets, guys.

i built an SR-71 BlackBird a few months ago for the xtwins electronics. but, due to the incredibly long nose, i was never able to find the proper CG. i crashed it too many times before i got it flying right, and of course, i didnt take a picture before the carnage took place. not that i dont have enough things going on already (i think Nitro has got me beat though!), but i may have to revisit the jets, but i'll have to figure out how to make an F-16 look like a twin. my dad worked for General Dynamics, so i've got a little fondness for the Falcon, what can i say?

nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Feb 09, 2006, 06:09 PM
Time wounds all heels.
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jul 2001
832 Posts
anyone think it might be possible to trim the props down and actually duct the fans?

An Eagle would be pretty sweet, or even a Falcon. Maybe done like the Corsair in the other thread, molded depron? I have a diecast Falcon I could try to mold from, but I havent tried the technique yet. Thinking about it a bit more, I dont think you could get enough differential through ducts to have effective steering. Probably needs at least rudder to try.

Hurry up with the 3 channel AA's!
watersharer is offline Find More Posts by watersharer
Old Feb 10, 2006, 02:18 AM
Joined Jul 2005
696 Posts
Nice Raptor there Bebop! and Nitrocharged, your Sukhoi is excellent.

If only I could get 2mm depron over here in Malaysia, the building possibilities will be unlimited. By the way Nitro, will your jet be powered by the x-twin engines? It looks as though you might be using more channels as compared to the basic 2-channel x-twin.

It will be a great challenge making one that will fly exceptionally well with the x-twins. A lot of experiments and trimming required. As we speak, I am planning to go for another version of the F-15 Eagle as the one that I posted a couple of days back could only fly like 2.5 feet above ground level and only for about 20-30 seconds. I need to make one that is very much lighter.

Guys, the x-twin equipments currently weighs in at around 9.5-10.5g depending what has been removed and what remains. The stock x-twin biplane has an AUW of 19.5g and already the lifts are quite restricted. So i imagined that a good flyer with the x-twin equipments should weighs around the 15-18g region. Anything below that will be "lost with the wind" and anything above shall "fall to the ground".

Hence, the ideal bare weight of airframe should be around 5 - 8g. So, guys aim for that when you build your x-twin jets. Hope to see more good results later.

hklam
Old Feb 10, 2006, 02:41 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,190 Posts
I am going stock aeroace rxer gear. I have no idea if it will work... lol
Old Feb 10, 2006, 02:49 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,190 Posts
..on the subject of 2mm depron, I have stacks of it as I doubled up on a slow order a while ago. PM me postal details and I'll send a bunch through
Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:34 PM
Joined Jul 2005
696 Posts
Just completed a profile F-16 Falcon from balsa and insulation foam. The single fuselage of the F-16 is lighter than the double fuse and double verticle stab of the F-15. AUW at 19g now.

Will post pictures later and hope to maiden it sometime soon.

Meanwhile, keep the posts and creations coming!
hklam
Old Feb 12, 2006, 04:40 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,190 Posts
I am running a little behind this weekend as business got in the way.
I completed the sukhoi and taped the aeroace gear onto the model to see if all was well with positioning. It was
Here's a few snaps of where on the model the gear will be mounted:

And here's a shot of the finished model:

To avoid it rolling as others experienced with a flat wing, I put a couple of clear plastic dihedral tabs on the wing tips so it wouldn't spoil the outline. These were enough to stabilize the model and it glides very well!
Now to install the gear.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 08:11 PM
Joined Jul 2005
696 Posts
Dave,

Looking good there! What's the wingspan for your sukhoi? It may not roll if you have double fuselage in it. Instead, it may be very stable without the wingtips. Unless, the wing span is considerably small.

In any case, the wing tips idea is superb. What sort of material do you use for that?

What's the AUW now?

hklam
Old Feb 12, 2006, 08:53 PM
Joined Jul 2005
696 Posts
Here's pictures of my profile F-16 Falcon from balsa, insulation foam and 3mm depron. Needed some slight upward trimming of the horizontal stabs for better lifts.

It flies and I manage to fly it outdoors in circular motion as its turning circle is too big! Maybe due to the bigger than usual verticle stabilizer. However, the CG is spot on and flight is stable and self correcting after each turn.

hklam
Old Feb 12, 2006, 09:15 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,190 Posts
wingspan is 12". Weight is 23 grams. It sounds heavy but it glides well - I tried it several times this morning on the front lawn to make sure balance was good and glide distance was decent and it seems a real floater. I have coated the nose area to about 1.5cm back in a thin layer of epoxy to toughen it up in case of nose in's.

If it goes well this way, I can always cut the plastic off and see if it still flies well. If it doesn't, I can simply glue them back on. I used some plastic from a screw container from the hardware store. A little thick but very stiff. A shirt box or anything else would do fine - anything thin and flat.
The motors are mounted wider than on the aeroace so it should turn although I am a little concerned about the huge rudders - they might present a problem for turning.... only one way to find out

Motors have been mounted and epoxy is curing: