HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2006, 10:42 PM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
Discussion
power setup recommendation

what would you recommend for an 82 inches wingspan wing?
what power setup?

I already have Speed 600 and 2500 mAh NiMh batteries... (8cells). I also have a 4000 mAh (12 cells) pack, also NiMh. For the moment I can't use the 4000mAh pack since I don't have a speed controller for it.

The wing was built last summer (I discussed about it on another subject on this forum) but didn't have time to fly test it. I flew it with Speed 600 and direct drive on 11/7 propeller... didn't go well at all 9I didn't expect to work this way). Now I mounted a Speed 600 engine with 3:1 gearbox and the same 11/7 propeller.

BEfore I attempt to fly... what do you think... would it be enough to get it airborne? what flight autonomy should I expect from it?

Best regards,
MIG-29
MIG-29 is offline Find More Posts by MIG-29
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2006, 11:00 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,759 Posts
Try this or maybe two of them.They are counter rotating
motors with matched 8/6 carbon props.It would be awesome.
I am gona do 2 on my 85 in wing.Ck
http://1301774.estore.networksolutio...tail.bok?no=12
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Feb 07, 2006, 11:59 PM
Git-R-Done
Rich Hill, Missouri_USA
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
Hi MIG-29
Last month I built a 75" wing and powered it with a AXI 2820/12 - Jeti advance plus 40amp ESC - 12x6 Graupner Folder - 3s 4000mah LiPo and it flew REAL strong. The AUW was 58 oz.
Here's the Z-75 Maiden Video.

I can tell your from personal experience that the speed 600 is too heavy and will perform very poorly on the 8 cell Nimhs. A 10 cell would power it much better but a big brushless and LiPo's will give you the performance you want.

Hermitt
Hermitt is offline Find More Posts by Hermitt
Last edited by Hermitt; Feb 08, 2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2006, 12:53 AM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
I tried the Speed 600 statically and that was also my conclusion: "I can tell your from personal experience that the speed 600 is too heavy and will perform very poorly on the 8 cell Nimhs".

Do you know where I can get a speed controller for Speed 600 and 12 cells NiMh? As far as I know the current controller that I have can take up to 10 NiMh cells.

Best regards,
MIG-29

P.S.: from one reason or another I cannot download the movie from the website you linked to in the previous message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitt
Hi MIG-29
Last month I built a 75" wing and powered it with a AXI 2820/12 - Jeti advance plus 40amp ESC - 12x6 Graupner Folder - 3s 4000mah LiPo and it flew REAL strong. The AUW was 58 oz.
Here's the Z-75 Maiden Video.

I can tell your from personal experience that the speed 600 is too heavy and will perform very poorly on the 8 cell Nimhs. A 10 cell would power it much better but a big brushless and LiPo's will give you the performance you want.

Hermitt
Old Feb 08, 2006, 01:59 AM
Git-R-Done
Rich Hill, Missouri_USA
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIG-29
Do you know where I can get a speed controller for Speed 600 and 12 cells NiMh?
I have just browsed 3 popular website stores and could not find a brushed ESC on any of them that will handle more than 10 cells.
You could always chop your 12 cell pack down to a 10 cell.
Quote:
P.S.: from one reason or another I cannot download the movie from the website you linked to in the previous message.
If you can't get the above video link to work, try this one.. http://www.putfile.com/hermitt

Hermitt
Old Feb 08, 2006, 05:06 PM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
Yes, that was also the problem I encountered.

I will try to fly it with 8 cells and Speed 600 and if it doesn't fly as "desired" I will switch to the 12 cells battery pack...I will take out 2 cells and I should be OK with only 10 cells... if that doesn't work either... then... I will probably go shopping for brushless...

I hoped Speed 600 would work though...

MIG-29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitt
I have just browsed 3 popular website stores and could not find a brushed ESC on any of them that will handle more than 10 cells.
You could always chop your 12 cell pack down to a 10 cell.
If you can't get the above video link to work, try this one.. http://www.putfile.com/hermitt

Hermitt
Old Feb 08, 2006, 05:57 PM
Git-R-Done
Rich Hill, Missouri_USA
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
Good luck with your wing project, MIG-29.
You can get a good 150-180 watt brushless motor and a 25-35amp ESC for around $90.00+shipping and you can use your NimH packs to power it.

Hermitt
Old Feb 08, 2006, 09:15 PM
BlueGrass Rules
United States, IL, Dahlgren
Joined Nov 2003
1,097 Posts
Hey Mig ! 'Bout Time Man Lets see.......two yrs and counting.
Ah.......but who's counting. Glad you got the project going again.

Mando........
mando is offline Find More Posts by mando
Old Feb 09, 2006, 06:41 PM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
Hei there!

Two years? I don't know what you are talking about...

Best regards,
MIG-29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mando
Hey Mig ! 'Bout Time Man Lets see.......two yrs and counting.
Ah.......but who's counting. Glad you got the project going again.

Mando........
Old Feb 09, 2006, 09:38 PM
BlueGrass Rules
Joined Nov 2003
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Two years? I don't know what you are talking about...
Sorry Mig, my bad. For some reason, of which I can't find now, you have had the project on going for a while
Any way........keep us posted on the set up you decide to use on the big wing.

Mando........
Old Feb 09, 2006, 10:17 PM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
Hi there!

No worries. But I haven't had the project for 2 years I started this wing sometimes last summer... some objective reasons kept me away from getting it airborne or identify what it needs to get airborne.

Some photos of the wing should be somewhere on this forum in a subject called... I think "Mothership".

Best regards,
MIG-29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mando
Sorry Mig, my bad. For some reason, of which I can't find now, you have had the project on going for a while
Any way........keep us posted on the set up you decide to use on the big wing.

Mando........
Old Feb 10, 2006, 05:38 PM
BlueGrass Rules
Joined Nov 2003
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
Try this or maybe two of them.They are counter rotating
motors with matched 8/6 carbon props.It would be awesome.
I am gona do 2 on my 85 in wing.Ck
http://1301774.estore.networksolutio...tail.bok?no=12
Hey Man,
That sounds looks like a cool setup for a big wing. Kinda "Howard Hughesy" I'd love to hear the sound of it, keep us posted if ya go that route.

Mando.........
Old Feb 11, 2006, 05:52 PM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
updates from the test flights...

it seems the wing glides well (I got it balanced pretty well with the 8 cell packl). However the Speed 600 with 3:1 gearbox and 11/7 propeller (non-foldable) doesn't provide enough power. Let's put it this way: it is highly underpowered!

I wouldn't even attempt to try to fly with an 10 cell battery pack instead of the 8 cell that I used today. I don't believe that the jump in the performance can be that high due to the difference in voltage. I know I should get more thrust but my feeling is that I need to go brushless.

Any suggestions?

MIG-29
Old Feb 11, 2006, 06:35 PM
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2005
180 Posts
one question... as a ballpark evaluation...
How much power (Watts) do you need per airborne gram? In other words if my flying wing has 100 ounces (it doesn't) how much power would I need to fly it?
I guess there would be different level of powers depending on the type of flight you want... if you want aerobatics then you need more power than for regular sailing flight.
I knew there were some numbers available for modelers that said that X watts are needed for Y ounces (grams, kilograms.. depending on the system of units that one uses to measure the mass).

Does anybody know those numbers?

Thanks,
MIG-29
Old Feb 11, 2006, 09:08 PM
Git-R-Done
Rich Hill, Missouri_USA
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
The way I do it, if my wing weighs 30-40 ounces then I use a motor that produces 60-80 ounces of thrust or 2:1 thrust:weight ratio.
You should have tried the 10 cell battery on the sp600 motor. I think it would have done OK.

Hermitt