HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mharms, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 07, 2006, 09:21 PM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
Discussion
Lost in the Blue...

Weather today was spectacular -- near 70F, wind was low, and not a cloud in the sky. Went out to Rancho San Antonio late afternoon and flew my little Q-Wing flying wing. I was flying pretty far out, and pretty high. My plane looked small up there, but I've had her out farther before (as I mentioned before, the Plantraco 900MHz RX/TX has much more range than I expected). Had full control and I was surfing on the light wind up there. Then I got momentarily distracted by some loud talk behind me and took my eyes off the plane. Just for a split second. When I looked back at the plane -- I couldn't find her. I put her into a continuous turn, gave some up elevator, tried to get the wings at an angle to reflect some light, but I could see nothing. Just miles and miles of blue sky. I cut throttle and kept her in what I hoped was a slow spiraling descent. Scanning, scanning, scanning the sky --- nothing.

Spent the next hour searching for her, but no luck. Gave a description and phone number to a park ranger passing by and called it a day as the park closed for the night.

Man, I had some nice gear in that plane. I hope someone finds it and turns it in. I'll go back tomorrow and continue my search.

In the meantime: Time to start building the Q-Wing v2.0.
mharms is offline Find More Posts by mharms
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2006, 10:03 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
Dude, that sucks. I feel your pain, BTDT. It's a sick feeling to look up in the sky, knowing your plane should be there... but it's not.

Name and address on that plane, right?

I hope it works out that you get the bird back.

Gary
--
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Feb 08, 2006, 02:39 AM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
Doh!

Double, no Triple Doh!

I didn't have my name and address on my plane. I had been flying in really small parks. I never thought I'd lose sight of it. I've only been flying at this new, much larger location, for a few days. All that space was kind of intoxicating.

Well, you learn from these things. From now on, anything that flies outside gets an address label. I'm going to put some on my workbench right now.

Mark
Old Feb 08, 2006, 10:07 AM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
I got lucky with my last fly-away.

Switch Blade Speed 400 pylon racer. I got bored with the Speed 400 performance so put in a Mega 4 turn on 3S1P 2200 Lipos. 5x5 CAM prop turning 19,500. Thrust to weight WAY over 1 to 1.

Showing off I come down the runway at slow speed, pull up vertical and nail the throttle. Going vertical I roll it about 3 times and it's pin dot size. Cut the throttle, push the nose over and that's the last time I saw it. I pulse the elevator and yell for everyone at the field to help me see it. Over a minute goes by and someone sees it fly in front of a tree line heading down at about 10 degrees. I walk out in to the field for about a 1/4 mile and there it was. Broken prop and small stress crack in fuselage. Otherwise undamaged.

I now limit my vertical climbs to about 3 seconds instead of the 5 seconds I did before.

Gary
--
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Feb 08, 2006, 11:41 AM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Don't give up hope! I lost mine once, and actually managed to find it!
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Apr 04, 2006, 09:45 AM
Joined Jan 2005
119 Posts
I haven't lost a plane with Plantraco gears so far yet. I go up to 150 - 200 meter altitude with my 16inch span birds when condition is right. Then the plane becomes a tiny cross. The challenge is to figure out which end of the cross is the head. It's tricky because turning can't tell. If there is stronger wind up there it can quickly carry the plane away while I am trying to find the head. When I feel I am about to lose it I always force the plane down by downing the elevator and forcing a spiral. I can get the plane back within 10 to 15 seconds even if it was at 200m high.

Xdim
Xdim is offline Find More Posts by Xdim
Old Apr 07, 2006, 03:10 AM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
I am also very pleased with the Plantraco's range (considering its a 0.9g RX). When I lost my plane, I still had full control. It was the limited range of my eyeballs that was the problem.

If there had been some clouds in the sky, I might have been able to look back at the same spot after I got distracted. As it was, all that blue sky looked the same....

Blue sky... I remember blue sky. Hope to see it again some day. Been a really wet winter and (so far) wet spring here.

Mark