Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 17, 2002, 11:04 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Switchback milestone and Near Death Experience

Hi gang!

I went out tonight with the intent of playing around with receiver/esc/antenna locations to try and get rid of my glitching, and I think I've done it! However, that's for another thread. I've passed by the 50 flight mark. In fact, that happened friday I realized after counting back. I'm now at 55 and still going strong on the original 370. I celebrated ridding myself of glitches by doing some low circuits inverted. I have to "bob" up about 20 feet or so at the field I fly at to get over a goal post, so therefore I need to "bob" back down to the 3-4 foot level for my "runway" passes. On one such bob down, I came within what looked like 6 inches of the ground, but I'm sure it was more like a foot to a foot and a half. Regardless - 6 inches is cool when you're trying to do it, but not so cool when you're going to be happy with 3 feet. I can't blame this on a glitch though - dumb thumb pure and simple. Luckily I reacted quick enough to pull her out. My wife gasped when she saw it happen and then commented on how impressed she was that I pulled it out. I admitted mild trepidation That was near-death-experience #1. Near-damage-experience came on landing. I was setting up a beautiful approach when I dumb-thumbed it again and ended up bouncing. How you can bounce on hard mounted retractable gear, I don't know, but I did it anyway. I found myself with the tail 1 foot off the ground, zero airspeed, and the nose pointed 60 degrees up. She came down hard on the GWS retracts, screaming out a loud CRACK. Fortunately the crack noise was the magnetically attached canopy popping loose. There is mild cracking along the gear mount, but amazingly no damage to the gear and none to the wing that requires surgery! At that I called it a night. *whew*
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2002, 12:38 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Whew indeed!
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jun 18, 2002, 07:18 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Glad it was only "near" death.

You're lucky the grass didn't reach up and drag it down.
That low inverted stuff is what I use the CrazyMax for, that big 'ol flat wing on the top makes a perfect inverted landing skid. Once in a while I'll even manage to drag the tail and keep flying.

Are you counting all flights with all wings? (that number seems low for you )

What is the definition of 'one flight'? I count each battery pack drained as one flight. So far on the SB I have 83 flights and 14-1/2 hours.

It was on my 60th flight I had my little crystal mishap and spun down from 150 feet and broke the vertical stab off.

Keep 'em flying.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Jun 18, 2002, 09:21 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Woah, nice save! At my field you would have been toast since the weeds are about 2' tall Not much good for low inverted passes, but the Tiger Moth looks like a crop duster skimming over the weed tops
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jun 18, 2002, 09:43 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
BC, yes that's all flights with all wings. I define a flight as a battery charge unless I do something like change the wing in the middle of the charge, which I rarely do anyway. I've been battling bad battery packs so I generally only get 2 flights on the SB when I go out, then I'm either sitting around for 45 minutes charging or usually I go home and charge up for the next time out.
Old Jun 18, 2002, 09:47 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Tres, 2' tall weeds make an excellent soft landing area if you screw up though (no one saw me do that at Chilliwack... I'm sure )
Old Jun 18, 2002, 02:46 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer
BC, yes that's all flights with all wings. I define a flight as a battery charge unless I do something like change the wing in the middle of the charge, which I rarely do anyway. I've been battling bad battery packs so I generally only get 2 flights on the SB when I go out, then I'm either sitting around for 45 minutes charging or usually I go home and charge up for the next time out.
You need another charger. That way you can charge two packs at once. The little $40 GWS works pretty well....as does the bigger WattAge PF-12, which is AC/DC.

A thought.....
Old Jun 18, 2002, 04:18 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Bernard, I'm probably missing something, but.... both of those chargers only have one output on them
Old Jun 18, 2002, 06:54 PM
Hobby Hopper
Issaquah, Wa, USA
Joined Apr 2002
229 Posts
Use two

I think he was thinking after he bought a new charger he would have two to charge with.

John
johnhlong is offline Find More Posts by johnhlong
Last edited by johnhlong; Jun 18, 2002 at 08:46 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2002, 08:29 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Oh, duh... yes that would make sense
Old Jun 19, 2002, 12:42 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Yup, what John said.

I think I had 5 chargers at Chilliwack and three of them running relatively constantly. NiMH kinda demands having more chargers or outputs since you can't charge as fast.

But I've acquired a few over the last 20+ years of e-flying.....

Just got a second GWS one - at $40 it's hard to beat for versatility - 4-12 cells, 250 mA to 6A, soft enough peak for NiMH. One will just be kept in my little truck for impromptu use.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 12:43 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
How many switchback sized packs do you have, Bernard?
Old Jun 19, 2002, 12:56 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
At the moment, 3 that are used in my SB (3 8X720AAA NiMH). When I get Doug's gear so I can use heavier packs I'll probably use some 600AE packs as well. I have a couple left over from S400 planes and some cells in a drawer.....

But I had 5 planes with me at Chilliwack, and all of them are on NiMH mostly now: Big T (10XP3000s), GWS Tiger Moth (7X300 NiMH, and two 2X830 Li-Ions), Switchback and Hobby Hangar Scout (7X3000 NiMh). I have two 14 cell CP-1700 packs (NiCd) for the LT-25. And every now and then I had to recharge my Cockpit TX. So, the schulze isl 6-636, isl 6-330, the GWS MC-2002 and the WattAge PF-12 were all busy. The isl 6-330 did recharge one Li-Ion pack for the TM while I was there (output 2). I did a bit of transmitter charging out of output 2 on the isl 6-636.

It can get a bit out of hand.....
Old Jun 19, 2002, 01:01 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
To illustrate my point - my table under the RV awning late in the Chilliwack meet - tried to post this on the last one, but Opera won't do it for some reason, so had to fire up Netscrape....

The PF-12 is charging a 720 for the Switchback, the GWS is doing a 10X3000 pack for the Big T, the isl 6-636 is doing a 14XCP-1700 for the LT-25 and the isl 6-330 has just been disconnected from another 10X3000 pack for the Big T. I've another shot with the isl 6-636 also charging my Tx.
Last edited by BEC; Jun 19, 2002 at 01:04 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 01:09 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
At this point I can only aspire to have a collection like that! I'd be happy with one more for now