United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
Discussion
48" OV-10 Bronco

Wing 48"
Area 423sq in
Bone Dry Weight 49.2oz.

I just got it tonight but have to get ready to travel on business this week so I cant get into it any further tonight. I weighed all parts in plastic EXCEPT fuel tanks and lines and ended up with 49.2oz.

Much heavier than I had hoped. This means I have to rethink my motor setup.

More when I get back...

Meanwhile, here is the standard image
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2006, 09:45 PM
RETIRED PHILLY FIREFIGHTER
Philadelphia, PA USA
Joined May 2004
297 Posts
who's kit or ARF is this?

Nice looking model, care to share a bit more about it? I love the colors, what being a former Marine and a current Firefighter> I once managed to catch a training mission in the back seat of one of these and it was increadable.
Vagabond324 is offline Find More Posts by Vagabond324
Old Feb 06, 2006, 10:16 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,934 Posts
Got mine today also. Nice looking kit.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Feb 07, 2006, 10:21 PM
At peace with his albatross
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond324
Nice looking model, care to share a bit more about it? I love the colors, what being a former Marine and a current Firefighter> I once managed to catch a training mission in the back seat of one of these and it was increadable.
Im on the road right now but I would love to share stories about this model and the real one with you. One thing I can tell you is that the registration numbers on this ARF are the same as the ones on the CDF OV-10 stationed in Romona, CA.

I am still reeling from my last twin engine glow conversion found here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=transall so I am trying to find an economical setup for the bronco. It looks like I will go with a pair of Mega 1615-4s with 3:1 gearboxes and 11x8 props. I have all of that stuff already. I was expecting this model to be lighter so I could use a pair of AXI 2208s that I have. I dont think they will give me enought ooomph.

This is where I will be posting pictures of my build.....

-Todd
Last edited by wannabe; Feb 07, 2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2006, 07:33 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,090 Posts
Got mine today. Hardly had time to look at it though. Think I'll go with Steve St. Martin's suggestion of 2212/20 with 8-6E props on 3s-2500 lipos.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:43 AM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,941 Posts
what ARF is this?

Kyle
gromitvt10 is online now Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old Feb 10, 2006, 09:00 AM
jollyroger
Central Lake, Mi.
Joined Nov 2002
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromitvt10
what ARF is this?

Kyle
yeah, 'fess up...ve haf vays of making you talk!

"Bring out the comfy chair!"
John Z is offline Find More Posts by John Z
Old Feb 10, 2006, 09:21 AM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,077 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, that's the new E*Star models kit. It's in the top right corner of their website (http://www.estarmodels.com/).

Good job on the build, btw! Good luck with the maiden!
Doc
doc-e is offline Find More Posts by doc-e
Old Feb 10, 2006, 09:39 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
raidentech/nitromodels ARF
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:42 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
So I finally started sorting through the kit and doing some initial planning. First bummer is that the hardware that came with mine is wacked. It has too many of some fasteners and not enough of others. That really tourqs my nut.

The plane itself is definitely sturdy and well covered. A really nice ARF. I think I will attempt retracts.....
There will be a servo wire nightmare because it needs two elevator servos at the far aft ends of the booms, two rudder servos in the booms and an extra nose steer servo in the pod, a valve servo for the retracts and a bomb release servo to launch junk out the back of the pod. All of these need to be wyed together, and all of this has to be fished through the booms to the wings, then fished through the wings to the center pod where the reciver will be. Seven servos, two ESCs and a half mile of 12 gage battery wire. I'm talking about a pound of copper alone !

The first thing I like to do is get the motors setup and aligned. Essentially, each boom is like its own separate fusalage. Each boom has its own rudder and elevator servos, and its own motor and ESC.
I will mount the geared Megas to the factory beam mounts using clamshell heatsinks. I have to have spinners so I bodged together the right adapters and spinners. A combination of Dubro 1.5" plastic spinners and Eflight 5mm collet adapters. I reamed the props and spinner backplate to fit the 8mm threaded shaft on the adapters. The holes in the fiberglass cowls needed to be enlarged by about 4mm for my adapters to fit scale like behind them. The cowls themselves are very different than the ones in the catalog picture above.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:33 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
Motors are mounted. Cowls are next. The cowls are a tight fit in ths ARF. No room for sliding forward or aft so you get one shot at drilling the mounting holes.

Laying out the pod, wing, and booms shows how little wing area there is. This kit should have neen at least 52" not 48" span. The wing looks nice and big by itself until you cover nearly a third of it with the booms and fuse.

The cargo bay is as spacious as the real OV-10. This is a fire plane, right? So the cargo bay calls for water baloons to drop out the back I can fit more in there than I can lift probably. The 11x8 props have alot of lifting power....

I am using black spinners because I will be painting the cowls and sides of the booms black to mach the real CDF 330 pictured below. I am making water transfer decals from the CDF logo pictured below too.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:33 AM
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jun 2005
353 Posts
Another OV-10 ARF...

Hi Todd,

I just purchased an OV-10 (the small one!) from Hobby Hangar,www.hobbyhangar.com, which will be a gas/electric conversion. I just finished up on the wing, mounting dual aileron servo's in place of a single in the wing center. Also, navigation and landing lights (superbright L.E.D.'s) are in and working. The plan also calls for seven servo's, but two were for throttle (weight gone - but ESC wires still needed). I am using HS-85MG's for all but the nosewheel, HS-645MG for that one. The cowlings really are a one-shot deal - my first set came though smashed, but they were replaced by the vendor - excellent service on their part. It is a little bit bigger than your current build, but by not much. I expect it to fly well on Mega 22/30/3 turning three blade 9x7, Castle 45's, and Duralite 3S2P (10AH Total!!! ). I will post some photos later, got to get my lesson plans ready for school, if the Nor'easter allows it!

Best regards,

Edd Spidell
Edd Spidell is offline Find More Posts by Edd Spidell
Last edited by Edd Spidell; Mar 11, 2006 at 01:28 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:01 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,934 Posts
I was wondering to save on the wiring nightmare. about using one reciever for each boom. Since it does have rudder,elevator, aileron & ESC. I would split the elevator in half like the BVM Kingcat does so any elevator servo mismatch could not affect anything.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Feb 12, 2006, 02:16 PM
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Nov 2003
1,472 Posts
I also have the hobby hangar ARF (running 16/25/4's w/ PH-45 and 10x7 props) and they do the rudder the same way (one servo in each boom). Is it possible, though, to run only a single rudder or attach the rudders in the same manner biplanes attach one aileron to another?? Certainly save the weight of another servo.

Joe
JPHen is online now Find More Posts by JPHen
Old Feb 12, 2006, 04:16 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff
I was wondering to save on the wiring nightmare. about using one reciever for each boom. Since it does have rudder,elevator, aileron & ESC. I would split the elevator in half like the BVM Kingcat does so any elevator servo mismatch could not affect anything.
Bob
Say Bob, Would two recievers run in unison? I had always thought it would be an interference problem like two different planes flying on the same channel.... I think I will bench test that. What do you mean split the elevator? You mean so the two elevator servos dont bind or something?

-Todd