SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2006, 06:37 PM
Joined Feb 2006
4 Posts
Discussion
weed eater motor in a boat

I am interested in making my own boat and putting a weedeater motor in it has this been done and are there kits or helpfull hints to share, I am pretty handy and have tools to do it, also do small engine repair on the side, any thoughts of going about this.
rpmp3 is offline Find More Posts by rpmp3
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2006, 01:02 AM
all my boats are broken
manila
Joined Aug 2004
164 Posts
hi! i have an airboat with a homelite 25cc as the engine. it was great and fun till the engine blew. anyway, yes you can do that. i am not really an expert (knows very little) but i am sure other guys can answer questions you'll ask.
by the way iam also planning on putting a honda gx31 motor in a boat. but i have to wait till my engine arrives before i make the boat plans.
goodluck!
ernest2 is offline Find More Posts by ernest2
Old Feb 07, 2006, 04:28 PM
Joined Feb 2006
4 Posts
can you buy plans for a boat
rpmp3 is offline Find More Posts by rpmp3
Old Feb 09, 2006, 02:37 AM
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2004
106 Posts
Hi there.
Plans are available from www.rcstore.com for a large range of boats or looking in the back of Radio Control Boat Modeler.
sharpshooter is offline Find More Posts by sharpshooter
Old Feb 10, 2006, 02:23 PM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2005
262 Posts
Free plans available for a v hull, 42". Send me your e-mail and I'll get them to you. Also if you want dxf or pdf.
Boat is on a number of other forums with some good build threads.
w3bby is offline Find More Posts by w3bby
Old Mar 06, 2006, 11:17 AM
Joined Sep 2005
191 Posts
A good place for advice is www.jrcbd.com very helpful guys.
ib456 is offline Find More Posts by ib456
Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:33 AM
be a designer, not a assembler
Franklin,NH
Joined Mar 2006
19 Posts
Hi , i,m a new here but have built many RC wacker powered rigs.The latest is a 1/4 scale auto gyro ultra light.The bigest problem to over come is the overheating here.I have rectified this with water cooling by removing the head on the engine and recutting the fins cylindrical with a hole saw on a drill press and then adding a upper and lower port for water circulation,by adding some brake line for the lower.Then adding the outer jacket (a common tin can of proper size) and adhering it with JB weld.To make life simpler preheat the cylinder head with a torch and the JB weld will solidafy allmost imediatly( but be careful not to reach the point of bubbling of the adhesive).Alittle bit of hands on testing should be proformed first to reach the proper heat range and not to overheat or structural integrity of the adhesive will be lost.For boat aplication the feed tube is a simple piece of tubing with a slant cut foward as to give more than ample water movement
Master crafter is offline Find More Posts by Master crafter
Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:51 PM
Seal Beach, CA
Joined Feb 2006
9 Posts
Check out this website devoted to the Gas R/C Boats. I know the owner, he's a good guy. www.insaneboats.com
Nat Ferguson is offline Find More Posts by Nat Ferguson
Old Jul 04, 2010, 01:10 PM
Joined Jul 2010
2 Posts
W3bby I would like those plans rcboatdriver1234@yahoo.com
rcboatdriver12 is offline Find More Posts by rcboatdriver12
Old Jul 05, 2010, 08:39 AM
Joined Apr 2008
493 Posts
Engine HP and boat weight are the most important thing to rembemeber when building your boat. Many choose to ignore these things only to see a slow boat. Not all homelite engines will work. Todays engines are junk! With the right tools and parts you can build a nice boat.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:28 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
http://www.modelgasboats.com/

http://www.modelpowerboat.com/forum/article/home.htm

http://www.zippkits.com/
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:34 PM
Rocky Mountain High and Higher
Joined Jan 2002
877 Posts
I just posted some helpful links which may answer a lot of your questions about building an weed eater type gas boat.

I am currently building a Zip Kits "Easy Vee" $59 and it is going to be powered by a Zenoa 23cc water cooled gas engine, cost about $199.

On ebay you can buy the China made Zenoa knock-off for about $75

If you aready have a weed eater engine you can find info on how to convert it for RC boats on the links I posted above.

Have fun!

Ace
PROACE is offline Find More Posts by PROACE
Old Jul 09, 2010, 08:29 AM
Joined Apr 2008
493 Posts
You can't just use any weedeater engine. Most are junk. Some are real good. The first thing to look fore in using a weedeater type engine is if it has a clutch. The second thing to look for is HP. 2 hp is recommended. Third look for upgrads for the engine.
Old Jul 09, 2010, 02:29 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Aug 2008
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txt killer View Post
You can't just use any weedeater engine. Most are junk. Some are real good. The first thing to look fore in using a weedeater type engine is if it has a clutch. The second thing to look for is HP. 2 hp is recommended. Third look for upgrads for the engine.
What brand weed eater engine would you recomend ?
Winkman1 is offline Find More Posts by Winkman1
Old Jul 17, 2010, 08:09 AM
Joined Apr 2008
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkman1 View Post
What brand weed eater engine would you recomend ?
look at the 30 cc range commercial grade trimmers. Don't waste your time with Ryobi engines. Junk for boats. A good engine should have a clutch option and be able to get replacements parts for. I prefer Homelite before 94" and Echos after 00" I also like Zenoah but they are expensive.