HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2002, 05:52 PM
Hornet Basher
College Station, TX
Joined Jan 2002
460 Posts
Hornet booboo

I crashed my Hornet after takin off from a table and dropping under it . This was only the 5th flight and I was starting to get the hang of it!

Now I need to order a new set of blades and two gears (motor & tail input)

I thought this thing was supposed to be really tough!!

Another thing, I can't seem to get the shaft back over the lower bearing to do the gear-saving mod!! It is REALLY stuck and I can't find anthing sticking out of the shaft. I guess I'll just have to grind around in that area until it decides it wants to slide over
Hodgepodge is offline Find More Posts by Hodgepodge
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2002, 06:04 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2000
1,136 Posts
As far as being tough, if you had done the same stunt with a larger helicopter, you'd be replacing more than blades and gears.
JeffD is offline Find More Posts by JeffD
Old Jun 17, 2002, 06:11 PM
"Watch this!" SMACK!
Mountain View Moffett Fd, California, United States
Joined Apr 2001
1,048 Posts
Um. Note to self: table legs are tougher than Hornet blades

Perhaps you can find a better/larger place to fly?

I've gotten away with a number of crashes on the Hornet that would have totaled my glow helis. At least you can CA most of the Hornet back together. Not so easy (or safe!) on a glow heli

--jim
jaggies is offline Find More Posts by jaggies
Old Jun 17, 2002, 06:51 PM
Hornet Basher
College Station, TX
Joined Jan 2002
460 Posts
Well, I had only been using the table because the grass was 6" tall and I had no cardboard.

I have a fairly sizable area to work with.

I had 2 or 3 tip overs that would probably have cost 50 bucks a pop in a bigger heli

but no damage until now

Note to self, don't fly near hard things!!

oh and it also makes a quick bush trimmer .
Old Jun 17, 2002, 11:08 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Hey Hodge...

The reason why you cannot get the shaft back thru the bearing is most likely that you bent the shaft. Considering the dimensions of the shaft OD vs the bearing ID this would make sense.

Before you remove material from the shaft I would suggest you find out if the shaft is bent.

Walts pointer...

Oh yeah, did you chop throttle before the heli' blades hit anything? Once you learn to 'bail out' you will find the heli is a tough ship!

Regards,
Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Jun 18, 2002, 12:00 AM
Hornet Basher
College Station, TX
Joined Jan 2002
460 Posts
Acctually i noticed the bearing problem before the first flight so it wasn't the crash, although i'll check for straitness of the shaft.

I believe I chopped the throttle, i'm not sure because it was caught by a little gust of wind and was only airborn for 2-3 secs

oh and I have since attached raised training gear to get it above the grass layer (looks like the shuttle_challenge in fms acctually)
Old Jun 18, 2002, 01:59 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Hodge,

If you end up needing to remove material off the shaft use a drill and a Green Scotchbrite pad.

The idea is to note the location of the binding/interference, chuck up in the drill and very gently touch the scotchbrite pad to that area only.

What you want to do is to 'lap finish' the area first. Sort of a de-burring/polishing operation. That way you will only be removing < 0.0005 inch off the diameter of the shaft.

Remove too much and you will end up with slop which could end up causing more headaches than a stuck shaft.

Another trick is to submerge the bearing/shaft in ice water, this should cause the shaft to shrink enough to remove it from the bearing.

Regards,
Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara