SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2006, 03:08 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Craley, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
Discussion
You don't hear much about the GWS Funny Park

I'm on RCG at least 10 times every day and I never see much about the GWS Funny Park. Is the FP the most unpopular GWS plane? I don't even find much when I do a search. I was thinking about getting a FP slope kit to play around with over the winter. Should I not waste my money? FP owners feel free to chime in.
sgil2001 is offline Find More Posts by sgil2001
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2006, 03:16 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
I've seen one.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Feb 06, 2006, 03:55 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
That's one more than I've seen.
Old Feb 06, 2006, 04:00 PM
Joined Jun 2005
87 Posts
well, from the pics i've seen on the net, it looks kinda goofy. but i've seen it up close in my lhs and it doesn't look that bad. the name doesn't help much. it just might be my next plane.
wrong is offline Find More Posts by wrong
Old Feb 06, 2006, 05:11 PM
Whistling Death
WA,USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,544 Posts
There are a few theads here in the parkflyers forum, try a search for Funny Park. IMO, it is a weird looking plane.
RC4ZEKE is offline Find More Posts by RC4ZEKE
Last edited by RC4ZEKE; Feb 06, 2006 at 05:17 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2006, 05:19 PM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
we have 2 of them, great little plane with the dual motor, flys well with a 350 C gear but slow and predictible
Heres a movie with Dual 350 motor and 2 cell I think was a 1800 MAH, with the dual you don't have to add extra weight, this was at about half throttle so I could keep it in the view finder as it turns very quickly
Dual Motor
http://www.allerc.com/index.php?cPat...ce1b26e059e0a6,

we use a 1080 Hyper prop but the motor will handle a lot bigger

http://home.comcast.net/~slevinski/D...Park_movie.wmv

A 400 Motor with a 3 cell and a D Gear and 1060 prop would probably work well also
steve ypsi mi is offline Find More Posts by steve ypsi mi
Old Feb 06, 2006, 06:11 PM
Joined Dec 2004
32 Posts
i have one i bought a couple of months ago. have a total of 10 flights on it. i used a 370 park and 2 cell 1050 and 9-7 prop. i dont like the way it flies at all. now i know why it sat on the store shelf for almost 2 years. it has a very crapy main gear that tears itseff out of fuse on anything but a perfect landing. it dosent realy turn or roll with the aelorons worth a crap and yor better off useing rudder only. in my opinion your better off getting something else.
planeman6 is offline Find More Posts by planeman6
Old Feb 06, 2006, 06:30 PM
Flying chia pet
Milpitas, CA
Joined Oct 2005
151 Posts
I guess you either love it or hate it...mileage may vary. But I love mine!

Mine handled great. Very stable and predictable with no nasty habits. The roll rate was easily fixed by adding more throw. The foam on the fuse and wings is thick and will tolerate clumsy landings.

Good first plane w/ ailerons IMHO. Stays in the air at turtle speeds.

- Mark
chia_pet_farmer is offline Find More Posts by chia_pet_farmer
Old Feb 07, 2006, 07:26 PM
Berkshire, UK
Joined Sep 2005
137 Posts
Bought one a while ago, but am taking my time putting it together as I have stupid wind at the moment.

Also chickened out on the EPS400 and ordered an EPS350.

And I ran out of spray paint.

I'm hoping it'll slope around the place nicely - so it seems to be a good buy for me.

Jon
JonUK is offline Find More Posts by JonUK
Old Feb 07, 2006, 07:47 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
I think I'll stay away from this one for right now. I'll try a Formosa II first. I had the smaller formosa a while back, and it flew great. I'm sure the bigger Formosa will be just as good, or better.
Old Feb 07, 2006, 10:25 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgil2001
I'm on RCG at least 10 times every day and I never see much about the GWS Funny Park. Is the FP the most unpopular GWS plane? I don't even find much when I do a search. I was thinking about getting a FP slope kit to play around with over the winter. Should I not waste my money? FP owners feel free to chime in.
Cuz its dorky? Regardless of how good it does or doesn't fly, who wants to fly an ugly plane? It looks like a cheap toy, not a real plane... ( I suppose my slow stick doesn't look like a real plane either, but at least its not dorky)
spinnetti is online now Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Feb 09, 2006, 05:45 PM
Flying chia pet
Milpitas, CA
Joined Oct 2005
151 Posts
Quote:
Cuz its dorky?
Hence the name 'Funny Park'. Some people like dorky looking planes, and dorky does not always equate to ugly.

To each his own...

- Mark
chia_pet_farmer is offline Find More Posts by chia_pet_farmer
Old Feb 09, 2006, 06:26 PM
Negative altitude hurts
Litchfield Park, AZ
Joined Feb 2005
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnetti
Cuz its dorky? Regardless of how good it does or doesn't fly, who wants to fly an ugly plane? It looks like a cheap toy, not a real plane... ( I suppose my slow stick doesn't look like a real plane either, but at least its not dorky)
I happen to think slow sticks are dorky looking Things can be dorky looking and still be cool... the Hummer H1 for example
m00se is offline Find More Posts by m00se
Old Feb 09, 2006, 07:02 PM
No cash=time for ideas!
Boeing Field, Seattle
Joined Mar 2003
316 Posts
I saw two of them at the NW Hobby Expo Swap meet last weekend, both badly beaten but flyable. One was a Biplane.

I always thought it looked kinda like what an Allied Monoplane fighter would have looked at near the end of WW1 if one had been built.
Fall_Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Fall_Ryan
Old Feb 09, 2006, 09:47 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
It does look dorky, but that's part of its appeal. Occasionally I like to fly something different. Maybe I should be looking at the Funky Chicken instead. Nevermind, I think I'll go with the Formosa II for now and keep looking for something unusual.