HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2006, 10:54 AM
Joined Dec 2005
87 Posts
Discussion
cox micro warbird, build advise and questions

welp ive read every post i can find on these things and think ill give them a try
plane:
-Cox P-40 LukesRCPLanes Price: $19.95
charger:
-(etec 2030) E-TEC Apache Smart Multi-Charger 2030 LukesRCPlanes Price: $35.00
lipo battery:
etec 7.4/450) Etec Lithium Battery Pack 7.4 Volt 450 MAH LukesRCPlanes Price - $16.00
rudder servo:
-Hitech HS-55 Micro Servo
elivator servo:
-Hitech HS-55 Micro Servo
R/X:
-Hitech Micro 05S Five Channel Receiver
ESC:
-need lots of help here. id like one to work with the stock motor and be able to handle an upgrade from the 130 to a 180 motor

i was wondering if this list and prices look right. im particurly wondering if that charger is ok and if the P-40 is the easyest to work with for getting the C/G right with this lipo.
i also dont know much about the R/X and am worried about it being single conversion. additionaly i dont know what kind of conectors ill need to get everything wired up

any comments, advise or tips are greatly apreshiated
troyboy162 is offline Find More Posts by troyboy162
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2006, 11:03 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,648 Posts
I've flown several Single COnversion receivers, notably the same one you are thinking about getting is in my Aerocat Foamy pusher jet right now. I've not suffered one hit yet on any of my SC receivers BUT ... I tend to fly alone on a park or maybe with one other plane in the air, so there are not very many competing radios on nearby frequencies, such as you may find in a club-type flying scenario. SO, one thing to consider is where you'll do most of your flying. DC receivers are probably safer for club flying.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2006, 04:19 PM
Oldie but goodie
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Jun 2003
3,890 Posts
Best advice is to "Build it light". If you can keep the ready to fly weight (AUW) under 5oz, then it should fly fine. My Corsair @4.2oz, is a really nice flying little airplane.

The 'Hitec' 05S is supposed to be a "full range" (2,000 ft) micro RX.
Popsflyer is offline Find More Posts by Popsflyer
Old Feb 06, 2006, 08:28 PM
Joined Jul 2005
150 Posts
a little weight to consider

GWS R4PII Receiver: 4g
BlueArrow 3.6 Servos: 3.6g

$$ is pretty similar
Total weight saved around: 12g

Every g counts... something to think about if you're actually buying the equipment instead of using what you've already got...
donglass is offline Find More Posts by donglass
Old Feb 07, 2006, 10:46 AM
überprüfen Sie Ihre sechs
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
The P-40 is a blast with ailerons, it also keeps one of the servos closer to CG, I still end up adding 6-7 g of weight in front, Consider the Cirrus MRX-4mkII receiver, its very slim, light and only 20.00 (1500ft) and will work with pos or neg shift radios. In my second bird I tried 5 g cirrus servos, but they are not as smooth as the HS-55s, havent flown the new set up yet. I use the mini base antenna and still get awesome range and can conceal most the antenna in the plane. If youve seen my posts, the photo shows the tip of the antenna next to the Left side of the fixed rudder. My original set up came out at 5.2 oz and it still flew great! You would have to put larger 180 or 250 motor or larger batt to avoid adding dead weight I think
czechyour6 is online now Find More Posts by czechyour6
Last edited by czechyour6; Feb 09, 2006 at 10:07 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2006, 11:36 AM
Joined Dec 2005
87 Posts
thank you guys for the advise. im going to look into those componets you guys have sugested. cant wait to try it out
Old Feb 10, 2006, 08:11 AM
Joined Nov 2005
8 Posts
I've got the P-40, and you want to keep it as light as possible. I used the Bluebird 303 servo's because they only weigh 3.4 grams. LukesRCPlanes has that servo on the websight. My second plane I built using the Plantraco receiver/ESC and the Johnson 250 motor. It's like a bullet, but it's heavy now. I see now that LukesRCPlanes has that firefly system on it. This is the system that I've seen recommended for an upgrade. That's what I'm going to use on my next P-40! I see you want to start with the stock motor, but once you glue that plane together, it's a little bit hard to take apart, so you might want to start with the upgrade now. You can also save weight by using the Castle Creations Berg receiver, which I see is new to that sight also. Good Luck DOC
doctorelectric is offline Find More Posts by doctorelectric
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:33 PM
Joined Mar 2005
23 Posts
I got the P-40 and want to use ailerons, do you need to use all of the TE or can you just use the area designated for ailereons.

thanks
feet wet is offline Find More Posts by feet wet
Old Feb 10, 2006, 05:41 PM
cliffster51
Detroit, MI
Joined Feb 2006
67 Posts
Save some weight on Cox warbirds.

I'm in process building a Corsair and a P51. Looking at the charger plate, doesn't is seem way bigger than it needs to be? I'm thinking about drilling/cutting out all of the excess area and cutting down the length of the prop-side terminals. I'll have a little more wire length/weight, but I think it could save 2 or 3 grams. What do you guys think?

I'll be back for help as I progress.
cliffster51 is offline Find More Posts by cliffster51
Old Feb 10, 2006, 06:21 PM
überprüfen Sie Ihre sechs
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
Hey Feet Wet, I used the marked flap and out to the middle of the marked aileron, its much easier to use the Dubro mini kit if they come close to the fuse, just make sure you mark the inside line, as most of the fuse fillets cover the inside edge of the marked flap line. I was also thinking that phenolic board could be used to make a smaller lighter charging plate, but not sure if its really worth all the trouble.
czechyour6 is online now Find More Posts by czechyour6
Old Feb 11, 2006, 12:36 AM
Your Mileage May Vary
Rocklin, California (Near Sacramento)
Joined Nov 2003
508 Posts
I just got my spitfire together and am not too sure it's going to fly. I had to add 1/2oz. to get it to be even close to the correct cg. My plane weighs in at a heavy 5 1/2oz! I've got an etec 7.4v 800mah and powering it is an aon direct drive. I've got everything as forward as possible.

I guess we'll see!!

steve-
dartbrandx is offline Find More Posts by dartbrandx
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:14 PM
Joined Dec 2005
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorelectric
I've got the P-40, and you want to keep it as light as possible. I used the Bluebird 303 servo's because they only weigh 3.4 grams. LukesRCPlanes has that servo on the websight. My second plane I built using the Plantraco receiver/ESC and the Johnson 250 motor. It's like a bullet, but it's heavy now. I see now that LukesRCPlanes has that firefly system on it. This is the system that I've seen recommended for an upgrade. That's what I'm going to use on my next P-40! I see you want to start with the stock motor, but once you glue that plane together, it's a little bit hard to take apart, so you might want to start with the upgrade now. You can also save weight by using the Castle Creations Berg receiver, which I see is new to that sight also. Good Luck DOC
yes ive been looking back into the brushless possibilitys as my price goes up. i have a reciver coming for free that will be a little heavy possibly but im under the impression that a small brushless motor will weigh less then the stock motor.
also is it crazy to think there could be a brushless motor that would work in these and also work in a gws sized warbird with the addition of a 3 cell lipo?
luke from lukesrcplanes.com was nice enough answer my question in a email i sent him. for forums sake a motor good enough for a gws bird would not work well in a cox.
Last edited by troyboy162; Feb 13, 2006 at 12:21 AM. Reason: question answered
Old Feb 13, 2006, 01:38 AM
Joined Dec 2005
87 Posts
i cant help but think this motor at 30 grams could work at 1/4 throttle with a small prop on the cox and be equal to a 350 motor on a gws.
http://www.foamfly.com/product.php?p...t=0&bestseller

30 grams should be about the same weight as the stock 130 right? its overkill but at reduced throttle it should work simular to the other outrunner style motors people have used