HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2006, 07:42 AM
Turin, Italy
Joined Aug 2005
57 Posts
Yippee!
MPX Twinstar II maidened today!!

Hi all

I maidened my new Twinstar II today... I'm very very satisfied by it!!!

Usually I fly with GWS Formosa and Alfa P51 and I started to build it not very interested because I was thinking isn't fun like others two ones... Great mistake!!!!

It fly like a dream, glide forever (and I really means forever!) very easy to land and very fast and agile when you want!

My config is:

MIG 400 12V engines
stock prop (white Gunther, 5,5x4,5 I think)
Jeti 30A
2S1P 2000mAh Kokam

20min flytime at 1/2 throttle... and a lot of power...

I'm waiting for Graupner CAM Speed Pro 5,5x5,5 props.... (ordered since 1 week)

It's very nice in the sky... it's "Important" in the air with its dimensions... it seems a real plane!!!

I think it's a good plane for all... novice, intermediate, advanced pilots... it will be able to fun everyone...

Bye

Andrea
Chetto1965 is offline Find More Posts by Chetto1965
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2006, 09:12 AM
uhhh....this thing on?
Long Island, NY USA
Joined May 2005
1,655 Posts
Mig 400 12V motors? Who makes them....I never hear of them.

I see yours glides alot too. Have you tried flarperons or something ot this degree. It's great that it glides....but when landing it i want it to come down at a steeper decent angle. I have used flaperons, but still have to work the elevator trim part when using the flaperons.

Anyway enjoy!!! It is a surprisingly easy palne, and fun to fly.
I have graupner 480 7.2v brushed motors, with slim cam 6x6 props, 3slipo 4000mah. I hold altitude at 20% throttle. way overpowered.
skyking1231 is offline Find More Posts by skyking1231
Old Feb 06, 2006, 11:05 AM
Turin, Italy
Joined Aug 2005
57 Posts
Hi Skyking

MIG400 motors are brushed motors made by MEGA Motor:

http://www.megamotor.cz/new/script/m...e&language=eng

they are designed specially to work with 3 Lipo...

I hold altitude at 30% throttle....

I've flaperons but I don't use them on landing for now... with 10% throttle you can land on your foots!!!!

One question (my curiosity)... where you can fly at Long Island NY????? I think you have to do a lot of miles to find open spaces.... is it right?

Bye

Andrea
Old Feb 06, 2006, 04:32 PM
uhhh....this thing on?
Long Island, NY USA
Joined May 2005
1,655 Posts
Although Long Island is a pain in the A$$. There are plenty of places. Mainly i just use schools. Soccer feild places like that. Just have to go when school is out. If it wasn't for electrics....i wouldn't have gotten back in to R/C planes. Gas/nito are being pushed off the island or way out east.

Have you put a landing gear on yours? I have one on mine, with a steerable nose gear. But i am looking for better designs for the nose gear than mine. mine works well, but need to be a little mor stiffer.

Anyhow....Happy Flying
Old Feb 06, 2006, 04:33 PM
put the kettle on....
Paddock Wood, Kent, England.
Joined Sep 2004
264 Posts
Well done Andrea, like you say anyone can have fun with a twinstar
David A is offline Find More Posts by David A
Old Feb 06, 2006, 07:30 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,960 Posts
Thought you might like this.
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Feb 06, 2006, 07:40 PM
kdk
NJ USA
Joined Mar 2005
293 Posts
i love mine it flys so nice. yes glides like crazy, so i set up flaperons and mixed in some elevator. big difference. i have the 480 motors and apc 5x5 props and landing gear. sweet flying airplane.
kdk is offline Find More Posts by kdk
Old Feb 06, 2006, 08:12 PM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
Mine's still got the original speed 400 motors. An 8 cell 9.6 V 3600 mAh NiMH pack. (heavy)

How much of a difference do the speed 480 motors make?

I was thinking of going brushless, but if the speed 480s make a noticeable difference, I might save a few bucks and go that route.

I've got 5x5 props on it now. I can only fly it on calm days, but it goes 22-27 minutes!

I set up a flaperon mix too. I don't like it because it makes the plane dive so much. (I probably have too much programmed in) and I don't want to jerk around with a mix.

I just got used to starting my approach further back, and then it is only one glide length to remember.

I might try a bit less flaperon mix at some future date though...

If you just got your TwinStar 2, you should look up the "official" thread in the Foamies forum. It's like 78 pages long and is packed with good info.
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old Feb 07, 2006, 05:44 AM
Turin, Italy
Joined Aug 2005
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1231

Have you put a landing gear on yours? I have one on mine, with a steerable nose gear. But i am looking for better designs for the nose gear than mine. mine works well, but need to be a little mor stiffer.
I don' have landing gear.... I think I can gain flytime without it and gain speed

Bye

Andrea
Old Feb 07, 2006, 09:59 AM
uhhh....this thing on?
Long Island, NY USA
Joined May 2005
1,655 Posts
I never flew the TS II with the stock 400's. But from the video i have seen with the stock 400's, the 480's is a big improvement. I have a 3s lipo 4000. With that battery all the way back in the batt bay, it comes out perfectly balanced wit the 480's. No "dead" weight in my plane. IT came out lighter than the stock weight specs. But i forgot how much.

Brushless is probably better....but then you have to get two esc...and motors can be a lot of $$$$. With the 480's I get long run times, being that i am usually flying at very low throttle settings. I use the slim cam 6x6.3 props.
Old Feb 08, 2006, 01:09 AM
put the kettle on....
Paddock Wood, Kent, England.
Joined Sep 2004
264 Posts
Hey, real Twinstar flyers do it without - I don't need landing gear for a touch and go
David A is offline Find More Posts by David A