HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2006, 03:06 PM
RobertTHaas
Joined Dec 2004
424 Posts
Discussion
my newest design using the plantraco system (green 2.0)

here is my updated design of the last plane i made titled "green 2.0" the wings are made of a blue foam cut core then carefully vacum bagged with carbon fiber. All the excess stuff was carefully scroll sawed away. im using what i believe to be matt keenons wing magnet concept to mount the wings. my goal was to make a plane that would be very precison and cute. let me know what you think.

Robert
RobertTHaas is offline Find More Posts by RobertTHaas
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2006, 03:18 PM
Joined Jan 2006
34 Posts
those are some nice wings
lilpnoytonton is offline Find More Posts by lilpnoytonton
Old Feb 05, 2006, 04:48 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,041 Posts
Robert,

really nice looking, very clean lines. looks fast sitting still

what are its dimensions? weight, wing size, motor, ect?

nick
micro_builder is online now Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Feb 05, 2006, 04:51 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Please tell me you dont catch that for a 'handing'..... It looks as sharp as a knife! Excellent job!

Oh, and I agree.... We need specs :-D
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Feb 05, 2006, 05:39 PM
RobertTHaas
Joined Dec 2004
424 Posts
17 grams. i believe its .2 grams per sq ft wing loading( 2.5 grams per sq inch ). 42.64 sq inch wing area.. i think its a bit heavy but the wing is very clean and well designed so i think it will carry the weight very well.. it will proably fly fast unfortunately, but hopefully not too fast.. the cool thing i learned about using this style of wing construction is the acuracy. the airfoil is very precison and the washout is dialed in just perfect.. im thinking about getting a folding prop and flying it outside, i think it will fly like a glider, i wouldnt be suprised if it has a really good L/D..
Old Feb 05, 2006, 06:01 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Congratulations Robert,

Your design makes me want to buy Plantraco system!
I hope to see those marvels on 2/18 indoor meeting.
Cheers,
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Feb 05, 2006, 06:41 PM
riverside, CA
Joined Feb 2003
725 Posts
That is a very cool looking plane! Any chance they will be available to the public? How 'bout build instructions?
Looks sweet!
Casey
caseyjholmes is offline Find More Posts by caseyjholmes
Old Feb 05, 2006, 06:55 PM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
Robert,

Beautiful work. Really, really looks good. I bet she'll fly great. Let us know how the maiden goes.

Mark
mharms is offline Find More Posts by mharms
Old Feb 05, 2006, 08:00 PM
RobertTHaas
Joined Dec 2004
424 Posts
thanks a lot for all the positive comments.. i was toying around with putting together some kind of kit.. if i did, i would like to drop the weight in half and use a different lighter wing construction.. im thinking a combo of laser cut ribs made of foam/sheeted in carbon and carbon rods.. im going to make a different one soon and try to get the weight down.. i want it to float around the room..

Robert
Old Feb 05, 2006, 08:03 PM
RobertTHaas
Joined Dec 2004
424 Posts
if anyone wants some specs for this design and has a CAD program, i can email them a CAD file of the plane... just PM me with an email address..
Old Feb 05, 2006, 09:42 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
RObert,

Very nice update to your design. Hope to see it fly soon. Are you going to be at the next Simi event?
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Feb 05, 2006, 10:03 PM
RobertTHaas
Joined Dec 2004
424 Posts
yup, i will be there..
Old Feb 06, 2006, 02:07 AM
Restricted User
Frankfurt-region, Germany
Joined Mar 2003
1,450 Posts
Robert,
this is the best looking micro i've seen during the last months. Would you please post a short description of the vacuum-bagging of the foamcore with carbon. I'am not familiar with this technique. Thanks.
Stephan
StephanB is online now Find More Posts by StephanB
Old Feb 06, 2006, 07:16 PM
RobertTHaas
Joined Dec 2004
424 Posts
well, i come from the dicuss launch glider world and do a lot of vaccum bagging of wings.. i wanted to try a technique of wing making that i had often thought about doing. basically all i did was hot wire foam cut a airfoil that i designed out of blue foam. after the foam cores were cut i had to very carefully shape the cores into the complex curved leading edge. this required a lot of precision sanding to get the airfoil blended into a nice curved wing planform. once i had my core shaped the way i liked them, i 3m 77 carbon fiber to the leading edge and then weted out the carbon fiber with west systems epoxy.. i also weted out precured .007 carbon strips out and had to lay them where all the ribs would be. all the carbon is cut to overshoot the actual desired position of the wing layout. so i do a traditional vaccum bagging of this layup. after the wing or layup is cured, i then take the wing and 3m 77 a 2d print out of the structure and then carefully scroll saw out all the excess carbon and foam, and all your left with is this nice carbon skeleton of a wing with a foam core. i carefully glued a carbon rod for the trailing edge.. its a bit time consuming and a lot of work but well worth it..
Old Feb 06, 2006, 07:52 PM
Hiigaran member
'on a mountian in New Hampshire
Joined Aug 2002
901 Posts
That is F.R.E.A.K.I.N.G. amazing!

-LY
Lone Yankee is offline Find More Posts by Lone Yankee