SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Mar 14, 2009, 09:22 AM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
You can always have someone throw it for you until you get used to how it reacts when launched. That way you have both hands on the TX when its launched.
Zeta30 is offline Find More Posts by Zeta30
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2009, 12:00 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
Its a good motor. i was just saying we have been trying to figure out whats wrong with your lipos all this time and everything was fine.\

Try a 6x6 graupner speed prop on 4s tp pick up some more pitchspeed with little to no gain in amp draw
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Last edited by gotboostedvr6; Mar 14, 2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 01:58 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
well if you ever decide to go nuts with your 28-47-2, i've run it with a 7x5 on 4s (definately hard on the motor and batteries), as well as a 6x4 and a 6x5.5 on 5s. Thiis is all pretty hard on the poor motor and i managed to roast mine after about 30 flights. I would suggest trying to keep it around 1000 watts on 5s, so something like the 5.2x5.2 seems perfect

I got a couple of those EMP/HC props with my last order. I am pretty unimpressed by them. They seem to be made of a cheap plastic and they are fairly flimsy. Its nice that they make a 4.5x4.5, but i would never trust it in an application over 300 watts or so. They are about $1.50 a pop, and an APC is about 2, so i see no reason not to go with APC, they are much higher quality if you ask me...Although the EMP does seem to be more efficient..

One nice thing about electrics, they generally never lie. You can usually figure out what the motor is by how its behaving
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Mar 15, 2009, 01:32 AM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
I crashed quite badly yesterday after I totally lost control of the plane.

The motor suddenly shutted down and I had no control over the plane .

I use a DX6i transmitter with a spektrum AR 6100e receiver.

Do you think that this may be caused by the spektrum receiver? I thought that the spektrum receivers problems were only with older DSM 1 technology .

Before the flight when I plugged the battery to the ESC it didn't start immediately. I moved the wires a bit and I got a connection then .

Could it be also one of the deans plugs? I made a 7 inches extension from the ESC to the battery . I read that you shouldn't extend the wires coming from the batteries too much . Could this be the problem ?

The plane was badly twisted after a 50 mph crash on the ice of a frozen lake.
Front part of the plane was badly twisted .
I managed to put it back amazingly well to it's original shape with an hairdryer. I hope it will fly like before.
The battery has been smashed but the aluminium case isn't broken.
Is it dangerous to use it again ?
Jpette is offline Find More Posts by Jpette
Old Mar 15, 2009, 03:24 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
U mentioned u thought the problems were only with the older DSM 1 Technology, umm ya that was a different issue - but the most current recall was verified on the tx having that sticker on the back. Pop open your battery case, any stickers?

As far as i know that was related to a control issue, so u may have been a victim to that.

You may also have the 1.2v where brownouts occur when the voltage drops too low & it goes to reset the whole system but takes a little over a second to reset. In that 1 second your plane will be in a hundred peices. Hence the reason for the upgrade to 1.6 that fixes that problem and it becomes only a millasecond.

As of the battery, I've flown with some smashed lipos that haven't ever given out on me, but watch them carefully. The main thing is making sure nothing is oozing out of the lipo & run some on the ground tests with it before you take it in the air again. You dont want it to catch on fire and send your plane as a burning inferno into the ground.

I smashed up my Funjet pretty good a few months back and it left my lipo very smushed. A couple months later it was puffed out like a baloon & I asked the same question. My only advice was to watch it go up in flames. Kiss it goodbye. Just be careful with yours, charge it slow & run plenty of grounds tests
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
Last edited by EyeFlyPlanes; Mar 15, 2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 09:41 AM
Auckland
Joined Sep 2007
351 Posts
Thanks Zeta, that's an excellent idea. I didn't give my Fj a try today. Been flying Heli all day thou . I'll have to wait till 2 week later .... unless I try it on a local park which I am very reluctant to.
siang is offline Find More Posts by siang
Old Mar 15, 2009, 10:01 AM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpette
I crashed quite badly yesterday after I totally lost control of the plane.

The motor suddenly shutted down and I had no control over the plane .

Before the flight when I plugged the battery to the ESC it didn't start immediately. I moved the wires a bit and I got a connection then .

Seems pretty obvious to me. Your esc lost power. This should prompt you to get a seperate BEC. Cheap insurance against something like this.
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:40 AM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingwrecker
Seems pretty obvious to me. Your esc lost power. This should prompt you to get a seperate BEC. Cheap insurance against something like this.
Or,

One of the antennae on the RX came loose. They are pretty fragile and they can come loose where if you jiggle them around they will make contact and pick up a signal. BEC's aren't necessary I've never used one and have never had a problem.
Zeta30 is offline Find More Posts by Zeta30
Old Mar 15, 2009, 12:05 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeFlyPlanes
gb6, I've never seen a graupner 5.2 in any lhs, do I need to order online, if so where?

Rcnewb, great Idea with lateral balance. I just realized that ive probably got a pound of ca on the end of the wing for trying to hold the fuel pod in place. What would I use to balance though?

Also I saw someone recommend a gyro a couple pages back, has anyone actually used this?
EyeFly -

Lateral balance is easy to check - drop your battery into the FunJet in its normal position (where the battery needs to be for proper C/G balance). Set the FunJet on a PERFECTLY level surface, such as a nice flat countertop or concrete floor (needs to be a solid surface, not carpeting). Attempt to balance it so that both wings are equal distance from the floor. Note which wing drops. For the side that doesn't drop (the lighter wing), add strapping tape, krylon clear glaze spray, or foam-safe CA to the bottom of the lighter wing (toward the wing tip) until both FunJet wings can sit off the floor at the same disance without you interfering. Add tape/glue (whichever you use) in small increments, then observe the balance each time. Once you can set your FunJet on a flat surface and get both wings to balance equally off the floor, you're good to go.

You should also double-check lateral balance again without the battery in the FunJet, as it will sometimes give a false sense of balance depending on how much friction there is between the floor and the bottom of your FunJet. You'll be able to tell if your lateral balance was bad based on how rapidly one of the wings drop to the ground when the FunJet is on a flat surface.

While this *may* not completely correct torque roll, it should help. Also, pay attention to which side your FunJet rolls on hand launch - you can always compensate by balancing the side opposite of the roll to be slightly heavier to counteract the roll. This drove me crazy with one of my FunJets, and the lateral balancing process I am talking about fixed the problem.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Last edited by ChrisWNY; Mar 15, 2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 01:20 PM
Finlande
Joined Dec 2007
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeFlyPlanes
U mentioned u thought the problems were only with the older DSM 1 Technology, umm ya that was a different issue - but the most current recall was verified on the tx having that sticker on the back. Pop open your battery case, any stickers?

As far as i know that was related to a control issue, so u may have been a victim to that.

You may also have the 1.2v where brownouts occur when the voltage drops too low & it goes to reset the whole system but takes a little over a second to reset. In that 1 second your plane will be in a hundred peices. Hence the reason for the upgrade to 1.6 that fixes that problem and it becomes only a millasecond.

As of the battery, I've flown with some smashed lipos that haven't ever given out on me, but watch them carefully. The main thing is making sure nothing is oozing out of the lipo & run some on the ground tests with it before you take it in the air again. You dont want it to catch on fire and send your plane as a burning inferno into the ground.

I smashed up my Funjet pretty good a few months back and it left my lipo very smushed. A couple months later it was puffed out like a baloon & I asked the same question. My only advice was to watch it go up in flames. Kiss it goodbye. Just be careful with yours, charge it slow & run plenty of grounds tests
I opened the battery case and found a sticker inside with some numbers like date of purchase and so. Could be the problem . I need to call spektrum and ask them if I have a defective transmitter ?

I have used it for one year now and never had any problem.

My receiver is a 1.6v so it should reset in ms. My transmitter battery were almost full . I use a seperate BEC with a 60 A supersimple .

I checked the receiver antenna and it looks good. The receiver is working normally.

this failure doesn't make sense except if it is a transmitter problem.

Anyway the plane looked really bad but with the hairdryer I managed to put it back very well to it's original shape . With paint on it you hardly see anything . That Elapor is really a good stuff !!!

I went back today to the field a bit nervous thinking that it wouln't fly the same again especially at near 120 mph with a Medusa 28-40-2500 on 3S -3000-30C at 760 W on 6.5x6.

What a surprise !! It just flew perfectly as if it was new !!!

I just hope it won't meet the dirt again cause I might not be so lucky next time .

That lipo was only one week old . I'll try it again and might illuminate the sky with a fast torch ....

thanks for your answers .
Jpette is offline Find More Posts by Jpette
Old Mar 15, 2009, 03:56 PM
Annoying people since 1970 :)
United Kingdom, England, Taunton
Joined Nov 2005
1,677 Posts
See here for the Spektrum DX6i recall.
wastegate is offline Find More Posts by wastegate
Old Mar 15, 2009, 05:32 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,880 Posts
I can't afford to take a chance on any 6100 or 6300 receivers.

At least the new AR500 is full range unlike the above and it costs the same.

Do you guys need more than 5 ch???

If you read product descriptions, only AR500, AR6200 and AR7000 will say "full range"...6100 and 6300 are not full range.

I normally run AR7000, but I'm about to buy my first AR500.

Good luck you guys
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Mar 15, 2009, 06:27 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
You wont be disappointed with the AR500. I'm happy with mine. the size is more manageable and you can run the longer antenna through a small hole in the fuse and tape it underneath.

I always put small shrink tubing over the short antennas and base since i had one break off on an AR7000.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 08:33 PM
What smoke?
SoCal
Joined Feb 2008
279 Posts
The AR500 are good, I have three of them. But and there is always a butt, try the reboot with it and you'll find it takes almost 3 full seconds to reconnect.

I unplugged it to see how fast it recovered and was amazed at how long it took to reconnect, for a new product it should be as fast if not faster then the AR6100s.

Just something I've seen on mine.
Lostlad
Lostlad is offline Find More Posts by Lostlad
Old Mar 15, 2009, 08:59 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Good thing I'm selling all my Spektrum stuff, I guess!

A DX6i and 2 x AR7000's are left in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Moving up to 7ch and Tower has a good deal on the T7C with 2 Rx's, not to mention 3-Pay so I'm switching over.
Closed Thread