Closed Thread
Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:42 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing
That's a nice paint job and video fishboy, and no offence intended, but your launcher is demonstrating the exact way not to launch a Funjet! He launches at too steep an angle from the horizontal and swings the plane left with the torque. This is a natural trait for most right handed launchers and is not easy to overcome. Try getting a southpaw to launch your plane and increase the power progresively, it might just save you from those pucker moments!

Check out how this guy launches his Funjet...... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1099744
That is what killed mine! So how do you overcome that? I never have a problem hand launching other planes...just the FJ
bighead93 is online now Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:03 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing
That's a nice paint job and video fishboy, and no offence intended, but your launcher is demonstrating the exact way not to launch a Funjet! He launches at too steep an angle from the horizontal and swings the plane left with the torque. This is a natural trait for most right handed launchers and is not easy to overcome. Try getting a southpaw to launch your plane and increase the power progresively, it might just save you from those pucker moments!

Check out how this guy launches his Funjet...... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1099744
No offense taken, Ben - you're right, it's a pretty terrible launch. My friend was insistent that I let him try. His first attempt was equally bad and he wanted a chance to redeem himself. I also throw right handed but have no problem keeping it straight. Just takes some practice I guess.
fishboy77 is offline Find More Posts by fishboy77
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:07 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93
That is what killed mine! So how do you overcome that? I never have a problem hand launching other planes...just the FJ
Are you keeping your arm straight and smoothly thrusting the plane forward like a javelin, concentrating on avoiding any twist? Here's another good video demonstration. Not sure I agree with launching with the motor off though.
Proper Stryker Launching Technique (1 min 0 sec)
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:15 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,882 Posts
That video is a perfect illustration of how to launch almost any small plane. Good post fishboy! I think launching motor 'off' is ok as long as you have a low AUW, but I have never had problems launching my regular weight Funjets #1 and #2 with full power on. Still got all 3 fingers and thumb on my right hand to prove it!
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:58 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2008
647 Posts
Just wanted to share something one shouldn't do.

I flew my funjet yesterday with a 6S setup (2x 3S in series). I canopy popped off and so my 500mah rx battery and one of the 3S batteries fell out. The second 3S battery was held down with velcro, so that was good. I couldn't find the two batteries that fell out But other than that, the plane's still good to go. I just gotta find a better way to keep the latch on as well as velcro ALL batteries down in the canopy.
hawkz is online now Find More Posts by hawkz
Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:05 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,207 Posts
Big fat rubber band.
Several STRONG magnets.
Those MX latches are a JOKE! Don't EVER rely on those things.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:53 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Three batteries in a funjet?

Why not use a BEC?
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:27 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy77
Are you keeping your arm straight and smoothly thrusting the plane forward like a javelin, concentrating on avoiding any twist? Here's another good video demonstration. Not sure I agree with launching with the motor off though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0PEc...d.php?t=109188
I guess I will give it another try...by the way I have a Stryker and have never had any problems launching it...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:30 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
I've forced myself to learn the left-handed launch, keeping my right hand on the stick. Saved my FJ countless times Im sure.
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:50 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver
Big fat rubber band.
Several STRONG magnets.
Those MX latches are a JOKE! Don't EVER rely on those things.
Where do you get those rare earth magnets that everybody raves about?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:02 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingwrecker
I've forced myself to learn the left-handed launch, keeping my right hand on the stick. Saved my FJ countless times Im sure.
I will have to work on that!!

I got magnets from Hobby Lobby
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:44 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
I am another Righty that taught myself to launch left handed. In the beginning having my hand on the stick saved it many times. I always launch 3/4-WOT and haven't recieved so much as a scratch. I also tend to launch at a bit of an excessive angle but my FJ has more than enough thrust to compinsate and is well above its stall speed when it leaves my hand. I let go straight from my launch about 10'-15' then straight up.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:11 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,207 Posts
The video launch was lousy, up and a distinct tilt to the left.
Most of it is just throwing it hard, flat, and not freaking while you reach for the sticks.

RE-Magnets:
My ACE hardware had the magnets, 10 for like $4.

You can order them at GoBrushless.com for a prompt delivery or
from http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10305 (China).
Do a search on magnets, they have a bunch.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:56 PM
Crash - Rebuild - Repeat
Atlanta, GA
Joined Aug 2007
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy77
Where do you get those rare earth magnets that everybody raves about?
Cheapest place I found is --

http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/Se...goryID-28.html

The ones I use most are Product ID: NSN0601

They're 50 for $8.99....and V-E-R-Y strong....they have a Pull Force of - 2.14lb/971g. There are other larger/more powerful magnets...but I found them too large for most of my RC Plane applications (ie. To large in diameter to use for a cockpit, etc.). Maybe if I get into the Large Scale planes...but for planes with 20-50" wingspans...these do me just fine.

If you're REALLY cheap...and have a dead motor laying around....strip out the magnets. Brushless motors all use (I think) Rare Earth magnets. At least, the cheap one's I've torn apart all did.

Hope this helps...

-Eric
efether is offline Find More Posts by efether
Last edited by efether; Dec 21, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:41 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,196 Posts
Michael's Craft stores are another good source locally. Very strong and you get 6-8 of them depending on size for arouns $2-$4.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Closed Thread