Closed Thread
Old Dec 21, 2008, 04:42 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing
That's a nice paint job and video fishboy, and no offence intended, but your launcher is demonstrating the exact way not to launch a Funjet! He launches at too steep an angle from the horizontal and swings the plane left with the torque. This is a natural trait for most right handed launchers and is not easy to overcome. Try getting a southpaw to launch your plane and increase the power progresively, it might just save you from those pucker moments!

Check out how this guy launches his Funjet...... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1099744
That is what killed mine! So how do you overcome that? I never have a problem hand launching other planes...just the FJ
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:03 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing
That's a nice paint job and video fishboy, and no offence intended, but your launcher is demonstrating the exact way not to launch a Funjet! He launches at too steep an angle from the horizontal and swings the plane left with the torque. This is a natural trait for most right handed launchers and is not easy to overcome. Try getting a southpaw to launch your plane and increase the power progresively, it might just save you from those pucker moments!

Check out how this guy launches his Funjet...... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1099744
No offense taken, Ben - you're right, it's a pretty terrible launch. My friend was insistent that I let him try. His first attempt was equally bad and he wanted a chance to redeem himself. I also throw right handed but have no problem keeping it straight. Just takes some practice I guess.
fishboy77 is offline Find More Posts by fishboy77
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:07 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93
That is what killed mine! So how do you overcome that? I never have a problem hand launching other planes...just the FJ
Are you keeping your arm straight and smoothly thrusting the plane forward like a javelin, concentrating on avoiding any twist? Here's another good video demonstration. Not sure I agree with launching with the motor off though.
Proper Stryker Launching Technique (1 min 0 sec)
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:15 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,896 Posts
That video is a perfect illustration of how to launch almost any small plane. Good post fishboy! I think launching motor 'off' is ok as long as you have a low AUW, but I have never had problems launching my regular weight Funjets #1 and #2 with full power on. Still got all 3 fingers and thumb on my right hand to prove it!
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Dec 21, 2008, 05:58 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2008
647 Posts
Just wanted to share something one shouldn't do.

I flew my funjet yesterday with a 6S setup (2x 3S in series). I canopy popped off and so my 500mah rx battery and one of the 3S batteries fell out. The second 3S battery was held down with velcro, so that was good. I couldn't find the two batteries that fell out But other than that, the plane's still good to go. I just gotta find a better way to keep the latch on as well as velcro ALL batteries down in the canopy.
hawkz is offline Find More Posts by hawkz
Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:05 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,248 Posts
Big fat rubber band.
Several STRONG magnets.
Those MX latches are a JOKE! Don't EVER rely on those things.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Dec 21, 2008, 06:53 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Three batteries in a funjet?

Why not use a BEC?
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:27 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy77
Are you keeping your arm straight and smoothly thrusting the plane forward like a javelin, concentrating on avoiding any twist? Here's another good video demonstration. Not sure I agree with launching with the motor off though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0PEc...d.php?t=109188
I guess I will give it another try...by the way I have a Stryker and have never had any problems launching it...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:30 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
I've forced myself to learn the left-handed launch, keeping my right hand on the stick. Saved my FJ countless times Im sure.
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Dec 21, 2008, 07:50 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flydiver
Big fat rubber band.
Several STRONG magnets.
Those MX latches are a JOKE! Don't EVER rely on those things.
Where do you get those rare earth magnets that everybody raves about?
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:02 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingwrecker
I've forced myself to learn the left-handed launch, keeping my right hand on the stick. Saved my FJ countless times Im sure.
I will have to work on that!!

I got magnets from Hobby Lobby
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:44 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,197 Posts
I am another Righty that taught myself to launch left handed. In the beginning having my hand on the stick saved it many times. I always launch 3/4-WOT and haven't recieved so much as a scratch. I also tend to launch at a bit of an excessive angle but my FJ has more than enough thrust to compinsate and is well above its stall speed when it leaves my hand. I let go straight from my launch about 10'-15' then straight up.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:11 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,248 Posts
The video launch was lousy, up and a distinct tilt to the left.
Most of it is just throwing it hard, flat, and not freaking while you reach for the sticks.

RE-Magnets:
My ACE hardware had the magnets, 10 for like $4.

You can order them at GoBrushless.com for a prompt delivery or
from http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10305 (China).
Do a search on magnets, they have a bunch.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:56 PM
Crash - Rebuild - Repeat
Atlanta, GA
Joined Aug 2007
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy77
Where do you get those rare earth magnets that everybody raves about?
Cheapest place I found is --

http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/Se...goryID-28.html

The ones I use most are Product ID: NSN0601

They're 50 for $8.99....and V-E-R-Y strong....they have a Pull Force of - 2.14lb/971g. There are other larger/more powerful magnets...but I found them too large for most of my RC Plane applications (ie. To large in diameter to use for a cockpit, etc.). Maybe if I get into the Large Scale planes...but for planes with 20-50" wingspans...these do me just fine.

If you're REALLY cheap...and have a dead motor laying around....strip out the magnets. Brushless motors all use (I think) Rare Earth magnets. At least, the cheap one's I've torn apart all did.

Hope this helps...

-Eric
efether is offline Find More Posts by efether
Last edited by efether; Dec 21, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 11:41 PM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,197 Posts
Michael's Craft stores are another good source locally. Very strong and you get 6-8 of them depending on size for arouns $2-$4.

Jason
FresnoJay is offline Find More Posts by FresnoJay
Closed Thread