Closed Thread
Old Dec 18, 2008, 04:43 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimweda
Nah, reporting him means I'm stooping to his level and I prefer to stay above ground. The flying is better up here and you have to keep in mind that there is usually a reason people are bitter, bully's or attention hookers and they show it in any way they can. In the real world they don't amount to much, but behind a screen they can be anybody they want. He chooses to be who he is here online and I'm okay with that. I just choose not to continue exchanging words with him since it has nothing to do with why I'm here. The Hitler and mother comment told me everything I need to know about him and there is no reason to look any farther since its a shallow pool. That's what I like about this site, the ignore button allows me to continue reading about things I want to read, not what others want me to read. I'm sure its really driving him crazy, and in a funny kind of way, I get a lot of satisfaction out of that. Nobody is worth taking the time to report about anything and I won't be making an exception for him. If someone else is offended by any of his comments by all means, report him, but I prefer to keep things fun. Thanks for all the heads up.

Jim
I for one am more annoyed by your comments than 8ball's. You take yourself way too seriously while claiming to prefer to keep things fun, take satisfaction in other people's displeasure while claiming to take the moral high ground, and state that 8ball is not worth the time to report while you write a long post about him. To top it all, you demand that no plane besides the FJ be recommended in this forum and then get indignant when you are called a fascist. LMAO.
fishboy77 is offline Find More Posts by fishboy77
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2008, 04:52 PM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,373 Posts
Time out boys. It's Christmas and we're talking about toy planes. Play nice.
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Dec 19, 2008, 01:16 AM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2005
838 Posts
Hi All

After a long trawl through all the good advice (and tittle-tattle) I've plumped to kit my FJ out with an ARC 2.5T - all ordered and due on Christmas day!

I'll be running 3S - any advice on what prop to start with? I want to strike a balance between good thrust for a hand launch and not too much torque roll.

Thanks
Impailer is online now Find More Posts by Impailer
Old Dec 19, 2008, 02:45 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impailer
Hi All

After a long trawl through all the good advice (and tittle-tattle) I've plumped to kit my FJ out with an ARC 2.5T - all ordered and due on Christmas day!

I'll be running 3S - any advice on what prop to start with? I want to strike a balance between good thrust for a hand launch and not too much torque roll.

Thanks
A 5.5X4.5 APC E is a great in between prop. Good torque, nice speed. I think its the best there is for this plane. A 5x5 is recomended as well but you have to toss is so hard your arm falls off. Then again if your at 3/4 throttle on any prop it should go just fine. But again i'd recomend the 5.5x4.5 for a nice happy medium.
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
Old Dec 19, 2008, 03:16 AM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
agreed
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Old Dec 19, 2008, 04:08 AM
FLY IY, BREAK IT, FIX IT,
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2005
838 Posts
Thanks - 5.5 x 4.5 it is then!
Impailer is online now Find More Posts by Impailer
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:02 AM
The sky is falling!
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle_Wings
Hey Folks,

Just ordered a funjet today. Need guidance on motor, esc, prop., etc.

Already use 3S 3300 25C batteries on a wing warrior eraider. So I would like to use those same batteries for funjet.
If so, would you recommend something like (a) mega 3 turn with (b) something like a 6x4 prop and (c) castle 35Amp ESC.

Will the plane need any beefing up with this type of a setup or can it be used as foam straight out of the box.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Have a Good Day!

Eagle_Wings
Obviously the battery will be the limiting factor. You could go up to 60+ amps, but it will be a very short flight. I would think that you should shoot for about 33-35 amps (345-365watts). Also, my personal feeling is that a 6x4 (thrust) or 6x5.5 (speed) is a nice size for this plane. A Mega 3 turn will work, but even with the 6x4 you will be at...
Mega 16-15-3/6x4/49amps/150watts of heat!!! (no good)

Others,
Mega 16-15-4/6x4/29amps/297watts/31ounces static/76mph pitch/81%eff/57watts of heat (pretty good - 6x5.5 is too much for this motor)

My feeling would be to step up a size in motor so that you can get the full 350+watts. So a Mega 16-25-xx or Medusa 28-040-xxx. However, Mega only has a 2650 in the range, and that's a little high to match up with the 6" props (42amps/58amps), so...

Medusa 28-040-2500/6x4/35amps/350watts/43ounces static/88mph pitch/88%eff/42watts of heat (perfect set-up for your battery).
This motor could EASILY be pushed harder with a bigger controller and your battery...
Medusa 28-040-2500/6x5.5/48amps/465watts/39ounces static/109mph pitch/84%eff/76watts of heat (perfect for some quick passes - just over 4 min WOT).

Keep in mind, the numbers are just good guesses. I would look for a 28-040-2500 Medusa (or very similar). Some people will try to get you to put in way more power, but I think that you would be very happy with this set-up. You won't have the fastest Funjet ever. But, keep in mind, the Funjet has a steep fall off for more power in vs. more fun out, much above where your set-up would be.

Good luck and have fun,
- Cliff

PS - Mine is on a Medusa 28-32-2400 with the same two props. Only using a 3S 2250 25C.
ChickenStick is offline Find More Posts by ChickenStick
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:30 AM
The Flying Herb
Santa Barbara, California
Joined Jul 2007
418 Posts
Pic of my new FunJet and a Question....

I bought one of those helicopter motors from Scorpion....he told me it would scream in the funjet.

Problem is you have to reverse the shaft so it will mount.....then you have the wires in the way.....you have to thread them up past the motor.....

maidened it yesterday....but i think the wires are touching....made a hideous sound...althought it flew ok....but not fast??

My friend is using the same motor (and it is super fast.......but he mounted it with one of those trick devices that swivels the motor.

i could mount it sticking out the back....but then will have to add weight up front.....and i hate doing that.

any ideas?
rstein9 is offline Find More Posts by rstein9
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:54 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenStick
Medusa 28-040-2500/6x4/35amps/350watts/43ounces static/88mph pitch/88%eff/42watts of heat (perfect set-up for your battery).
This motor could EASILY be pushed harder with a bigger controller and your battery...
Medusa 28-040-2500/6x5.5/48amps/465watts/39ounces static/109mph pitch/84%eff/76watts of heat (perfect for some quick passes - just over 4 min WOT).
After a few motor transplants with the Mega /3, a Mega /4, and a JGF 450FT, I settled on the Medusa 28-40-2500 using an Aeronaut 6.5x4 prop and 3S1P 2100 mAh packs. Real world it pulls about +38A at WOT in the air (measured by a digital in flight recorder). I set my Tx countdown timer for 6 minutes and usually land before the LVC kicks in. At this current you must use good quality 25C cells (MaxAmps, Fusion-Pack, etc) or half way through the flight quick throttle bursts will cause the voltage to sag and trip the LVC. Thunder Power Pro-Lites at 13C just don't have the current ability and the TP Extreme V1's were junk. I hear the V2's are better.

Anyway, on his set up it goes as fast as I want to fly it - after all above 90 mph it gets real small real fast. It will go faster on an APC 6x4e but for my taste it with that prop it takes too long to get on step, loses too much vertical, and has too little thrust to pull you out of any mistakes when low. Those that lust for all out speed may disagree.

BTW....Like all delta wing planes it is very sensitive to being correctly balanced, so start at the forward end of the suggested CG range and work aft in very small increments (3 or 4 mm at a time) until you get the combination of stability and responsiveness you like. If you get it too far aft it will be uncontrollable and most likely crash. (Nose heavy planes fly badly...tail heavy planes fly once!)

I like to set the equipment about where I think it should go, fly and tune the plane by adding 7 gram lead stickies until I like it, and then set up my CG machine so the plane balances. Then I remove the lead and move the pack around until the plane re-balances at that same distance from the LE on the machine. I mark this location in the battery bay so the pack will always go back in exactly the same location and retain the correct CG.

Once everything is balanced, then play with the motor thrust angle until when in level flight and suddenly going WOT the plane stays level and only slowly rises with increasing speed. It takes about 8 - 10 flights or more to get everything dialed in, but when it is this is a sweet plane and lots of fun. If you don't spend the time to tune it, it will fly OK but not nearly as well as it can.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Dec 20, 2008, 06:00 PM
Pesky Landings!
Abergele, North Wales, UK
Joined Apr 2004
1,112 Posts
Hey guys.

Finished my 3rd funjet build ever, this evening. I've gone for a nice lightweight setup this time round, instead of the insanely powered porky monster I built last time! I;ve not gone overboard mind, just enough to have some fun flying nice and slow!

I used hs65 servos, a Spektrum Ar6100 rx, TP 730mAh (3s) lipos, Castle Phoenix 10 esc, and a hyperion z1709/9 motor. The build was standard, apart from not using the supplied motor mount and servo covers. I've just used a bit of 3.2mm ply to makje a simple motor mount, and the servos are dangling in the breeze. Oh, and I trimmed the root end of the elevon a bit to give some clearance from the fins. This allows a bit more throw too

All up weight (ready to fly) is coming in at 285g, and it has around 300g thrust on a 6*3 prop (60 watts). Not really enough power IMHO, so I'm going to test some 7x4 and 7x5" props tomorrow.

I can probably shave a few more grams off the total weight by using some newer, lighter packs, but other than that, I won't bother. I haven't added any paint/stickers yet either, so it all looks a bit white! I'm thinking some black/white/green camo pattern on the top, and black/white stripes on the underside would look cool, but add a bit of weight

I had fun with the low/slow aerobatics with my 650g Funjet (240watts power), so this one should be pretty good too, especially with a little bit more power. Fligth report to follow when I get some decent weather in the daylight!

Cheers
Andy
bigandy is online now Find More Posts by bigandy
Old Dec 21, 2008, 01:22 AM
Spritual Pilot
Silicon Valley, CA
Joined May 2001
677 Posts
I am planning to use ARC28-47-1.5 with APC 6x4E. I have a 2100mah 4s zippy pack. With this 4s, will the suppo 70A ESC work? I read somewhere that 100A ESC is recommended for 4s configuration. I am wondering whether it will draw that much Amp?
jnyoun is offline Find More Posts by jnyoun
Old Dec 21, 2008, 03:16 AM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
Using the 1.5 with a 6x4 on a 2200 4s lipo will smoke the battery in short order.

72-76 amps is what a 6x4e draws on that motor.
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:14 AM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
gotboosted, you bring up something that still eludes me when it comes to electrics. How does the c-rating of a lipo and actual amperage draw correlate? What I mean is, How do you figure how much the battery can handle? Let's say my 4s 25c 4000mah Zippy; what's the equation?
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:39 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingwrecker
gotboosted, you bring up something that still eludes me when it comes to electrics. How does the c-rating of a lipo and actual amperage draw correlate? What I mean is, How do you figure how much the battery can handle? Let's say my 4s 25c 4000mah Zippy; what's the equation?
Easy; A standard configuration 10c rated LiPo will theoreticaly give 10 times it's mAh rating irrespective of how many cells there are, ie. a 750 mAh 1s,2s,3s or 4s etc. will deliver 7.5 Amps. Therefore your 4s 25c 4000mAh pack will give about 100 Amps. Hope that clears things up for you.

Just to add a bit of confusion, things change somewhat when LiPos are connected in series or parallel, check out this posting... http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...6&postcount=10
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Last edited by Ben D Wing; Dec 21, 2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 09:36 AM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
You're right, that is easy! Thanks.

So how do you know if the battery's c-rating is inflated? Just by the battery getting hot during what should be a normal load?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing
Easy; A standard configuration 10c rated LiPo will theoreticaly give 10 times it's mAh rating irrespective of how many cells there are, ie. a 750 mAh 1s,2s,3s or 4s etc. will deliver 7.5 Amps. Therefore your 4s 25c 4000mAh pack will give about 100 Amps. Hope that clears things up for you.

Just to add a bit of confusion, things change somewhat when LiPos are connected in series or parallel, check out this posting... http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...6&postcount=10
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Closed Thread