SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Dec 09, 2008, 03:23 AM
To drive or to fly......BOTH!!
USA, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2007
6,205 Posts
I have heard many ways to install servo's. I did what MPX suggests in thier manual in mine. Wrapped the servo in tape then CA'ed them in. I can say it makes it fairly easy to remove as I have had to replace a servo in my FJ once in 75+ flights.

Another that is commonly used is Hot melt glue. Holds everything in tight as its needed and actually does come back off with a little rubbing alcohol to soften without too much fuss.

Jason
FresnoJay is online now Find More Posts by FresnoJay
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2008, 07:09 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,980 Posts
Also, wrapping the servo in masking tape and then using UHU Por as a contact adhesive works very well too, not to mention bathroom silicone sealant!
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Dec 09, 2008, 11:17 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy77
Nice. I have a NIB FJ on the way. Are there any tricks for installing the servos in such a way that you can remove them without damaging the wings?
Ya absolutely. When u put them in, make sure you don't put any ca on the bottom of the servo. Just outline your servos with CA - Then when u put the servo covers on, again sparingly with the ca on the 4 corners -but make sure youve used enough where its not flappin in the wind and its completely flush. Then when your ready to remove, get an exacto knife and very carefully cut through the ca so as to not touch any foam. Everything should break free pretty cleanly.
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
Last edited by EyeFlyPlanes; Dec 09, 2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2008, 12:50 PM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2007
1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy77
Nice. I have a NIB FJ on the way. Are there any tricks for installing the servos in such a way that you can remove them without damaging the wings?
1. Ordinary double sided tape or servo tape sold in your LHS.
2. Glue gun.
3. Strapping tape.

Cut the double sided tape and peel off one side of the tape and stick it into the servo bay. Using the other end of a hobby knife or similar, rub the tape with enough pressure so that it sticks well and also compresses uniformly into a thin tape.

Peel off the top side and stick the servo in. Press the servo with enough force to ensure a uniform stick.

Hot clue the four edges and more if you want to and then I usually lick my fingers and run my fingers on the glue to squeeze it just a bit in between the servo edge and the bay.

Let the glue dry and apply a layer of strapping tape over the bay. Servo cover can then be installed after you have completed the control horn assembly.

Why hot glue & double sided tape instead of CA? CA gets brittle when dries. In the event of a mild crash, the shock is directly transferred to the servo (and to the gears) and this increases the chance of ripping the gears.

Using double sided tape and hot glue helps ease the shock, just a bit, if not more. The double sided tape acts as a cushion and the hot glue nevers gets brittle.

And it is easily removable too.

Happy flying !!!
numb_thumb is offline Find More Posts by numb_thumb
Old Dec 09, 2008, 02:43 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
781 Posts
Wow, thanks for all the advice, guys!!! My FJ is scheduled to arrive TODAY. Woohoo!!!
fishboy77 is offline Find More Posts by fishboy77
Old Dec 09, 2008, 04:01 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts
I used certain parts of aileron servo holders on my EZ* - servos just slide in as a very tight fit.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Dec 09, 2008, 05:02 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,561 Posts
My build is just about done! I am running HS-65MG's and wrapped tesa tape around the area that makes contact with the foam...applied CA and installed! Tight fit but will allow removing it without damaging the wing. I got a question for you guys already flying your FJ's...anyone use magnets to hold on the canopy? I can't see how these little clips will hold tight at a really high rate of speed...got any pics if so?
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Dec 09, 2008, 05:14 PM
Fly by Night
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
871 Posts
Yes Im using magnets, I extracted them from an old cdrom brushless motor (rectangular in shape) and used one both sides canopy and fuse. I also man one large canopy so I can have access to the rear electronics....
jteplane is offline Find More Posts by jteplane
Old Dec 09, 2008, 06:39 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,561 Posts
Anyone know what size the motor screws are that mount the motor plate to the Fuse?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2008, 06:50 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
this one should do the trick

gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Old Dec 09, 2008, 07:05 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,561 Posts
I was going to take it up to my local Home Depot...allen heads are the easiest to work with but I thought I would ask if anyone know the size...I have read that they strip pretty easy...is there a trick to getting them in without stripping them?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2008, 09:56 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Take the original flathead screws (which do suck) with you to your LHS or hardware store and have them match up the threads. Do get allen head bolts. They make it soooo much easier if you plan to tinker with motors.
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Dec 09, 2008, 10:09 PM
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Sep 2003
1,134 Posts
3mm, I think.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93
Anyone know what size the motor screws are that mount the motor plate to the Fuse?
jonnyjetprop is offline Find More Posts by jonnyjetprop
Old Dec 09, 2008, 10:17 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
781 Posts
3x16 by my measurements.
fishboy77 is offline Find More Posts by fishboy77
Old Dec 09, 2008, 10:34 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
If I remember correctly, the manual gives a number for the type of screw and it was the same number on the package of screws I got from my LHS. Could be wrong on that one though..
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Closed Thread