Closed Thread
Old Dec 07, 2008, 09:21 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro Dan
this motor is all hand made and warranted forever, i designed it, i build each one and i test each one before its shipped.
http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...ef=MD2505-4800
Dan
So that would be a good choice with a CC 60amp esc with 3S 2200-4S 2200 lipos?
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2008, 09:31 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,583 Posts
No, that motor would be a poor choice for a funjet, it is made for a prop that is far too small (4.1x4.1), and it would draw WAY too many amps on 4s...

You should look into their Speed wind (2800 kv) or the custom wind (2535 kv). I know people have abused the speed wind all the way up to 800 watts with success...

I think that you should look into the arc motors (either long or short cans), they are strong as bulls, and they come with ideal kvs for the funjets (2200-2800 kv). THats just my thought
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Dec 07, 2008, 10:01 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418
No, that motor would be a poor choice for a funjet, it is made for a prop that is far too small (4.1x4.1), and it would draw WAY too many amps on 4s...

You should look into their Speed wind (2800 kv) or the custom wind (2535 kv). I know people have abused the speed wind all the way up to 800 watts with success...

I think that you should look into the arc motors (either long or short cans), they are strong as bulls, and they come with ideal kvs for the funjets (2200-2800 kv). THats just my thought
So whats the pros and cons of the different KV's in regards to the FJ (2200-2800). What prop selection is good for going in the low 110s.
brati4 is offline Find More Posts by brati4
Old Dec 07, 2008, 10:09 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,047 Posts
Whats the feel on these?
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...hless_Inrunner
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...hless_Inrunner
Old Dec 07, 2008, 10:16 PM
Fast, faster & fast again
North Hollywood, CA
Joined Jul 2007
1,210 Posts
You can go all the way up to 3700kv without a problem on the Funjet on 3s-2200 with a 45A ESC. I've used Mega 3000kv and Align 430XL 3700kv and they flew great with a 5x5 plus or minus prop depending on what you wanted out of it. They were the best set ups on 3s I've had so those should be fine and you could prop up a bit to give yourself a little more thrust if you want or run them on 4s.

Regarding the ARC motors, I agree that for the price you get a really good motor that you can push a lot of power through.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by brati4
So whats the pros and cons of the different KV's in regards to the FJ (2200-2800). What prop selection is good for going in the low 110s.
jimweda is offline Find More Posts by jimweda
Old Dec 07, 2008, 10:23 PM
Wichita,Ks
Joined Feb 2007
2,047 Posts
Jim: What you think of an Align 430L 3550 KV?
http://www.hooobby.com/430l-brushles...cm-bl430l.html
Old Dec 07, 2008, 11:25 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaffen
Are these APC thin props the right ones to be buying?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...6&C=QBJAPC&P=0
Those are good props but you might also consider the Zagi carbon 5x5. It's an excellent prop for pusher applications under 25k rpm (check out Dr. Kiwi's data table below). Above 25k the APC sport props, eg the 6x4, start to shine since they don't flatten out as much as the Zagi or the E props.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1168149
fishboy77 is offline Find More Posts by fishboy77
Old Dec 07, 2008, 11:28 PM
North Hollywood, CA
Joined Jul 2007
1,210 Posts
Hey brati4, replied to your PM's. The 430L isn't bad. If you have that already I would say use it. The 430XL is just the newer Align motor and I had a blast with that motor along with Mega, Neu and ARC motors. As I said, go 4s on that set up if you want to break 100mph. I liked the 4.25x5.75 prop I believe APC has that was good for speed and kept the amps a little lower. I used a Castle Creations 45A ESC with an external BEC. Its a nice set up until you feel like going 120,130,140 and eventually 150mph+. If you're happy in the low 100's, this set up will be great. Eventually, if you want a low cost motor for more speed, look into ARC motors. Although I have no experience with Don's motors, I hear they're pretty good as well.

I know a lot of people do beefed up mods on their Funjets, but if you're a tame flyer as far as not trying to over turn your plane at high speeds, the only thing I've done was to add strapping tape to the elevons and I still have my original Funjet from over a year ago and that's gone 130mph plus depending on my set up. If you don't trust yourself, you might want to look into the mods others have made. Oh, I did add 3 thin carbon fiber strips on the tail cone because after hundreds of flights and the prop hitting the dirt/grass on landings, it eventually made a clean break where the foam meets the tailcone. Now its solid as a rock. Outside of that, no mods.

Jim
Old Dec 07, 2008, 11:30 PM
North Hollywood, CA
Joined Jul 2007
1,210 Posts
From my personal experience, unless you're planning on going over 120mph, the regular e-props are fine. After that, I like the sport/pylon, then the nylon filled and eventually the carbon props. When you weigh out the costs of the carbon props, I've been really happy with the sport and pylon props. They've worked great and I have yet to break one or have it cavitate in the air.

Jim
Old Dec 08, 2008, 03:59 PM
Joined Sep 2008
85 Posts
my friend and i have flown his funjet a lot since he got it, weve busted two motors already. we are only using small 50g motors with kv 1100 and 1500, but its still loads of fun. my friend has a tendency to smash it in the ground with quite high speed, but its always possible to glue and duck and fly again after 5 min.
the front of the funjet is getting more and more deformed and it seems like the elapor is quite soft (at least now), we can bend it back to shape after every crash.
its such a great plane, low cost and lots of flying time
are u guys also crashing it everytime or are we just exceptionally good at that? this is our second model after a easystar look-alike with ailerons called "skyraider".
ramblings from -gibb
gibb83 is offline Find More Posts by gibb83
Old Dec 08, 2008, 04:11 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibb83
or are we just exceptionally good at that?
I'd say you have a particular talent....

My first jet was a Stryker. The bit it after less than 10". It's currently in the hanger undergoing a massive rebuild. The nose looks like it went 5 rounds with George Foreman. There is definitely a learning curve.

I've only crashed my FJ x2, first ever launch and once while not paying sufficient attention.

Seems like your motors are a bit low KV for the FJ, 1500 might be OK and they would be slower and lighter which is likely a benefit. It's a big jump from an ES clone to a FJ.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Dec 08, 2008, 04:14 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Some of my best crashes have been with the FJ! Always spectacular and that sound is unmistakeable.. PAWOOF!
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Dec 09, 2008, 01:24 AM
What smoke?
SoCal
Joined Feb 2008
279 Posts
And now for something completely different -

http://www.holdman.com/christmas/video.asp

Amazing Grace & Music Box Dancer I think are the best.

Lostlad
Lostlad is offline Find More Posts by Lostlad
Old Dec 09, 2008, 01:43 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Hey guys, thanks all for all the thoughts on the servos. In my personal experience they have been fantastic performers in every application I have put them in. However in some crashes they don't survive very well. So for "peace of mind" I would spent another $4 x 2 and replace both after a crash. And then buy another 10 for spares . To be honest, the first servos I used in the funjet was another hobby city servo that was rock solid and only $12 each. Metal gear and digital, if u look on their website u should be able to find it. They have 3 of them next to each other, red, blue and black. Great great servos, Been in about 10-12 funjet crashes/bad landings with no problems. The only reason why I took them out was because I wanted to try to shed some weight with a lighter servo and faster response. Well all was well till I landed my hxt900s in a bush and that's when the servo went out, and the rest is history. But would I still use em again? Heck yes! My easystar loves em, as does my twinstar and so will the funjet.
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
Old Dec 09, 2008, 02:13 AM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeFlyPlanes
Hey guys, thanks all for all the thoughts on the servos. In my personal experience they have been fantastic performers in every application I have put them in. However in some crashes they don't survive very well. So for "peace of mind" I would spent another $4 x 2 and replace both after a crash. And then buy another 10 for spares . To be honest, the first servos I used in the funjet was another hobby city servo that was rock solid and only $12 each. Metal gear and digital, if u look on their website u should be able to find it. They have 3 of them next to each other, red, blue and black. Great great servos, Been in about 10-12 funjet crashes/bad landings with no problems. The only reason why I took them out was because I wanted to try to shed some weight with a lighter servo and faster response. Well all was well till I landed my hxt900s in a bush and that's when the servo went out, and the rest is history. But would I still use em again? Heck yes! My easystar loves em, as does my twinstar and so will the funjet.
Nice. I have a NIB FJ on the way. Are there any tricks for installing the servos in such a way that you can remove them without damaging the wings?
fishboy77 is offline Find More Posts by fishboy77
Closed Thread