SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Dec 06, 2008, 09:40 AM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimweda
8ball, seriously, why do you insist on pushing ANY plane outside of the Funjet in a FUNJET thread. I don't get you guys who do that. We know, we know, yes, a pylon plane is much faster with much less power. Geez, how many times do you guys have to say this when we already acknowledge the same information over and over. I guess this is what drinking yourself silly does.

Seriously, keep the pylon planes out of here. And, why do you continue to keep reading this thread if you do not own a Funjet anymore but feel obligated to tell us about getting a pylon plane. If you just want to read the thread and possibly learn something then that's one thing, but if you're lurking, waiting for that perfect opportunity to throw out more pylon information then stop wasting your time and everyone else in here trying to gather info about the FUNJET. With this thread creeping up on its 500th page, I'd say that there are alot of people still interested in Funjet information. I did a quick search on the sokol and I couldn't find a thread that went past 3 or 4 pages. I wonder why that is.

I have nothing against pylon planes but this is not the place for it. I actually like the fact that I can buy 3 Funjets for the price of 1 sokol and if I do crash any of them there is going to be at least a 95% chance that I'd be able to get it back up in the air with some quick fixes. The other thing that's so great about the Funjet is that you can fly it slow as molasses or super fast. The sokol and other pylon planes have two speeds, fast and faster and that's not what I'm looking for right now, at least not with this plane. Okay, enough of my 2 cents. I just wish people would stop coming into threads and trying to convince people that there are better or faster planes. If I want information on a pylon plane, I know where to find the information. Thanks.

Jim

P.S. Oh, by the way 8ball, how's Julianne Hough doing anyway?
I couldn't agree more.
Zeta30 is offline Find More Posts by Zeta30
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2008, 11:25 AM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyoun
Just curious....

The fastest funjet can compare to a pylon racer (such as F5D)? The pylon racer seems to be much faster. (I don't know well about pylon racer, so I might be wrong). Wondering why people is not looking at the pylon racer instead of Funjet if the speed is a main goal..

Here is what started the pylon discussion..
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
Old Dec 06, 2008, 11:59 AM
Spritual Pilot
Silicon Valley, CA
Joined May 2001
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6
Here is what started the pylon discussion..
Should I say sorry, you taleteller? he~~he~~

By the way, I agree with Jim's point at some degree. However, I think we should not limit ourself too much on one side. Sometimes, we can learn more from different perspectives. I thought it was not bad idea to compare the Funjet and Pylon racer. I am not promoting the plyon racer here. Just wanted to know what's the difference between them.
jnyoun is offline Find More Posts by jnyoun
Last edited by jnyoun; Dec 06, 2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2008, 12:54 PM
Fast, faster & fast again
North Hollywood, CA
Joined Jul 2007
1,210 Posts
Well, personally, I don't think you can compare a Funjet to a pylon plane simply because they are in totally different classes. The pylon planes is a sleek aerodynamic plane built specifically for speed. The Funjet, well, is just a blast to fly and not meant to go 120mph +, but people have taken it to 150mph + and that's the fun part of the Funjet. Slow, fast, vector thrust or whatever else you can come up with. Can't do that with a pylon plane. There was a reason I focused on 8balls comment but I promised I wouldn't walk to the end of the pier....yet.

I agree that yes, we can learn things by talking about other planes, but the point here is, you cannot modify the Funjet to be as fast as a pylon plane on such little power so why even go there. The reality of the whole thing was I just found it funny that 8ball made that comment after having a few corona's. Maybe when he wakes up and re-reads his post he'll have a good laugh just as I and others have. More of an inside joke than anything else.

Jim
jimweda is offline Find More Posts by jimweda
Old Dec 06, 2008, 01:08 PM
CERTIFIED LIPO PUFFER
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jan 2008
276 Posts
oh no, i hope i didn't upset anybody... ooops, too late

what i really wanted to say was..
Out of let's say 100 funjet pilots here reading this thread,,, there maybe 7 or 8 of you that really truly want a pylon racer instead, but maybe a little nervous to go for it? I know cuz i was one of them. For the other 92, 93 die hard funjet nuts. i'm not even talking to you.

But you're saying i'm in the wrong thread? bite me.

but maybe i'm here just to stir things up a bit, you know, making myself to look like the bad guy (or am i the bad guy already? hmmm) so that hard core funjet fans like jimweda here can stand up and defend this thread,,,, i like a little excitement.

btw jim,,, you got good memory on that julianne hough thing

but whatever the case,,,, Geez, a mere mention of the concept "pylon racer" isn't allowed on a funjet thread? i musta missed it when jimweda got elected to be the latest H@#$%^ (gryphonrcu says not to use the H word) on rcgroups. i could just picture jim getting all red w/ smoke shootin out of his ears when he read my previous post. Have a Corona or two Jim you'll feel better.

This is meant for fun ofcourse (at least for me). No personal attack intended. Ding ding, it's round 2,,, your turn Jim.
8ballfever is offline Find More Posts by 8ballfever
Last edited by 8ballfever; Dec 06, 2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2008, 01:17 PM
CERTIFIED LIPO PUFFER
Joined Jan 2008
276 Posts
(whispering) i think Jim's typing his post right about now
Old Dec 06, 2008, 01:19 PM
CERTIFIED LIPO PUFFER
Joined Jan 2008
276 Posts
Yay,, i've reached my 50th post,,, time to celebrate w/ a Corona
Old Dec 06, 2008, 01:43 PM
LOVE MAIDEN'S : >
norfolk va
Joined Aug 2007
1,480 Posts
mmmm corona...now that would be a good thread
neiloneil is offline Find More Posts by neiloneil
Old Dec 06, 2008, 02:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2005
1,752 Posts
8baller, since you are "mr pylon" in this thread, i have a question: Is there a small pylon plane that an 185 amp little screamers park jet 2800 kv outrunner would work? I am curious to place a motor designed for pusher planes in a small, fast plane. Would a small wing be better for this motor?
lammy1000 is offline Find More Posts by lammy1000
Old Dec 06, 2008, 02:54 PM
Lloyd Robinson
USA, MO, St Louis
Joined Jun 2007
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballfever
oh no, i hope i didn't upset anybody... ooops, too late

what i really wanted to say was..
Out of let's say 100 funjet pilots here reading this thread,,, there maybe 7 or 8 of you that really truly want a pylon racer instead, but maybe a little nervous to go for it? I know cuz i was one of them. For the other 92, 93 die hard funjet nuts. i'm not even talking to you.

But you're saying i'm in the wrong thread? bite me.

but maybe i'm here just to stir things up a bit, you know, making myself to look like the bad guy (or am i the bad guy already? hmmm) so that hard core funjet fans like jimweda here can stand up and defend this thread,,,, i like a little excitement.

btw jim,,, you got good memory on that julianne hough thing

but whatever the case,,,, Geez, a mere mention of the concept "pylon racer" isn't allowed on a funjet thread? i musta missed it when jimweda got elected to be the latest Hitler on rcgroups. i could just picture jim getting all red w/ smoke shootin out of his ears when he read my previous post. Have a Corona or two Jim you'll feel better.

This is meant for fun ofcourse (at least for me). No personal attack intended. Ding ding, it's round 2,,, your turn Jim.
8ball, I am with you 100%. Like all threads, this one should be about disseminating information, not protecting egos. You suggest that maybe 10% of the readers here want pylon racers but don't think they're up to it. What about all the people who are just getting into speed and think that the FJ is the fastest thing out there? That's where I was a few months ago. I had to read about 30 pages of this thread before I ran across a post from a guy who said, "you know what? If you really want to go 150 mph you might be better off with a pylon racer." He was right, and right to say so. I'm still getting an FJ, but I'm certainly glad to know there's another option, and to know the pros and cons of each. So I think it's a little extreme to say that you should only plug the FJ here. You should recommend the plane that best suits the needs of the pilot, regardless of whether or not the name of that plane shows up in the thread title.
fishboy77 is offline Find More Posts by fishboy77
Old Dec 06, 2008, 04:19 PM
LOVE MAIDEN'S : >
norfolk va
Joined Aug 2007
1,480 Posts
ive got a stupid question...the vertical stabs...should they be leaning inward or outward...or does it make a difference...would straight up be best?...so far i think im liking the much lighter fj....did almost get stuck in a strange downward spiral...but with power i was able to get out of it..which is why i ask about the stabs
neiloneil is offline Find More Posts by neiloneil
Old Dec 06, 2008, 04:27 PM
Fast, faster & fast again
North Hollywood, CA
Joined Jul 2007
1,210 Posts
Naw, my main point with 8ball was just to point out how easily we can change teams.

I'm sure you remember this post 8ball which is where the reference to Julianne Hough came from. Its all in fun so lets loosen the ties and the drinks flowing.

"It seems like every time someone tries to wring out every last mph out of his funjet, someone else jumps in and say "if you want speed, get yourself a pylon racer". To me, that's like saying "if you want a hot girlfriend, why don't you date Julianne Hough (that insanely hot 19 yr-old from dancing w/ the stars)". It's obvious, just not possible/practical for an average Joe like myself and many other funjet pilots.
There's no denying the pylon racer's low drag airframe, but how fun would that be if most of the work is already done for you. Not to mention the skinny fuselage, good luck squeezing in a 6s. I know i know, you would never need a 6s in a pylon racer, but the point is, there's no room to mess around. At the end of the day, your really really fast pylon racer is a little faster than a really fast pylon racer, but still a little slower than a really really really fast one. uhmmm, then what? I am ofcourse excluding those pylon pilots that are into real pylon competitions, that's a whole different story.
To me, the "draggy" Funjet is a terrific airframe to play around with. You could have countless number of combinations of motor, battery, props, whatever to create anything from a 12 oz indoor slow flyer to an insane 6s 150 mph monster. A funjet that goes 120 mph deserves more respect than a pylon racer that goes 150 imho. Bending the laws of physics and pushing the Funjet beyond its drag wall is what this hobby is all about.
Flying my tamed 600 watt Funjet a few feet off the deck at WOT is plenty of speed for serious cardial workout for me.
Yes, I plan to push it even faster. A pylon racer? no thanks."

Name calling, well that was one of the greatest come backs I've ever heard. I'll have to use that some time when its applicable. Thanks for the tip. Down for the count and the fight is over. DING DING DING DING!

Jim
jimweda is offline Find More Posts by jimweda
Old Dec 06, 2008, 04:47 PM
I buy, I fly, I buy....
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Feb 2008
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimweda
Naw, my main point with 8ball was just to point out how easily we can change teams.

I'm sure you remember this post 8ball which is where the reference to Julianne Hough came from. Its all in fun so lets loosen the ties and the drinks flowing.

"It seems like every time someone tries to wring out every last mph out of his funjet, someone else jumps in and say "if you want speed, get yourself a pylon racer". To me, that's like saying "if you want a hot girlfriend, why don't you date Julianne Hough (that insanely hot 19 yr-old from dancing w/ the stars)". It's obvious, just not possible/practical for an average Joe like myself and many other funjet pilots.
There's no denying the pylon racer's low drag airframe, but how fun would that be if most of the work is already done for you. Not to mention the skinny fuselage, good luck squeezing in a 6s. I know i know, you would never need a 6s in a pylon racer, but the point is, there's no room to mess around. At the end of the day, your really really fast pylon racer is a little faster than a really fast pylon racer, but still a little slower than a really really really fast one. uhmmm, then what? I am ofcourse excluding those pylon pilots that are into real pylon competitions, that's a whole different story.
To me, the "draggy" Funjet is a terrific airframe to play around with. You could have countless number of combinations of motor, battery, props, whatever to create anything from a 12 oz indoor slow flyer to an insane 6s 150 mph monster. A funjet that goes 120 mph deserves more respect than a pylon racer that goes 150 imho. Bending the laws of physics and pushing the Funjet beyond its drag wall is what this hobby is all about.
Flying my tamed 600 watt Funjet a few feet off the deck at WOT is plenty of speed for serious cardial workout for me.
Yes, I plan to push it even faster. A pylon racer? no thanks."

Name calling, well that was one of the greatest come backs I've ever heard. I'll have to use that some time when its applicable. Thanks for the tip. Down for the count and the fight is over. DING DING DING DING!

Jim

OH MAN!!! Jim SCHOOOOOLED you son!!! DING DING! Fight stopped due to KNOCK OUT!

Wow.. Good one.
Wingwrecker is offline Find More Posts by Wingwrecker
Old Dec 06, 2008, 04:49 PM
CERTIFIED LIPO PUFFER
Joined Jan 2008
276 Posts
hahaha,, where in the world did you dig that post out from? I totally remember that. That was my version of "help me, help me break away from all this fj hotrodding. These fj guys are holding me hostage"

Or maybe like the saying "monkey see monkey do", i saw fj hotrodding, i did fj hotrodding.

Or maybe i was in your position, defending this fj thread. hmmmm.

Name calling? i don't recall mentioning anyone's mutha....
Old Dec 06, 2008, 04:57 PM
CERTIFIED LIPO PUFFER
Joined Jan 2008
276 Posts
Yikes, now i'm under attack by not one, but two grandpas,,,,,, hmmmm where's that Fishboy,,,,,,heeeelp
i'm just messing btw,,, about the grandpa part,,, maybe
Closed Thread