HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:07 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
No, the 70a Suppo is a good esc, i've had good experience with the suppos and the supersimple escs.

BUt it is only good for 4-8s, so if you planned on 3s, you'll have a problem. You can send it back to dave for the cost of shipping. thats what happened with me, and he sent me a 50a after which worked fine. But that won't satisfy your need for speed for very long, i would look into just going with a 60 or 80 if they're compatible with 3s
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:11 PM
LOVE MAIDEN'S : >
norfolk va
Joined Aug 2007
1,480 Posts
i hear ya...i went ahead and ordered the 60A from hobbycity....man it would have been cheaper to go to hong kong as much as ive ordered the last couple of months lol,,i do plan on using 4s but would like to use my 3 cells also
neiloneil is offline Find More Posts by neiloneil
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:27 PM
Crash - Rebuild - Repeat
Atlanta, GA
Joined Aug 2007
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418
No, the 70a Suppo is a good esc, i've had good experience with the suppos and the supersimple escs.

BUt it is only good for 4-8s, so if you planned on 3s, you'll have a problem. You can send it back to dave for the cost of shipping. thats what happened with me, and he sent me a 50a after which worked fine. But that won't satisfy your need for speed for very long, i would look into just going with a 60 or 80 if they're compatible with 3s
While the support from Dave is above-and-beyond, the Suppo ESC's, while functional, are not ideal -- IMHO. From my experience with the Suppo ESC's, I've found several short-comings --

1. No BEC in the larger ESC's.

2. Difficult to program. No program card, or PC interface...no programing directions in the packaging (gotta download the PDF)....so start counting beeps. Also, I spent HOURS testing a 100A ESC to try and find the right combination of timing, PMV, etc. to get the most out of an ARC motor in a EDF unit...only to find the ESC forgetting those settings a month later, requiring a re-programing.

3. No Auto-Lipo detection in the larger ESC's. Again...start counting beeps. I **HATE** this. In my Funjet...I would take several packs...sometimes 3S, 4S and 5S packs...and I would have to stop flying and start counting fscking beeps. I'd rather just plug a pack in...the ESC count the cells, and go.

4. ZERO tolerance for over-amperage. I MELTED my SUPPO 50A ESC by going 51A (I had my Eagletree attached). This meltdown resulted in the death of my Funjet. Lose power in a bad place....it comes down behind trees (blind)....end of FJ. When I performed it's autopsy, I found the ESC shrink tubing melted. When I cut it off...I had chips falling off the circuit board onto my desk. You would think the ESC would power down, or reduce power, to prevent it's own self-destruction...but not the SUPPOs.

5. For the same amount of $$$ you can get a Turnigy ESC, which (depending on model) comes with a SWITCHABLE BEC ... so no separate BEC is requires. This will save you $$$, weight, and soldering time.

Sorry, I'm not trying to slam them. They're okay ESC's....but I have several larger ones...still in their package...sitting in a drawer, and will likely never be used for anything outside bench testing. For the $$$...I'd rather buy a Turnigy.

The ARC motor's, on the other hand...are spectacular!!

Just my $0.02 worth.

-Eric
efether is offline Find More Posts by efether
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:51 PM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiloneil
what size prop are you planning
6 x 5.5, I have a spare so might as well use it.
skaffen is offline Find More Posts by skaffen
Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:57 PM
LOVE MAIDEN'S : >
norfolk va
Joined Aug 2007
1,480 Posts
thats what i was thinking also....and i have a couple 6x4's i might try

ps thanks for the info efether
neiloneil is offline Find More Posts by neiloneil
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:03 PM
Crash - Rebuild - Repeat
Atlanta, GA
Joined Aug 2007
499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiloneil
(snip)...ps thanks for the info efether
You are welcome. Just want to share my experience with others so that they don't have to re-invent the wheel (or buy another FJ because they slagged an ESC).

-Eric
efether is offline Find More Posts by efether
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:35 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
Well, to all of your statements i can say something opposite. I had a suppo 50 that i ran at almost 70a in bursts and its held up just fine. Also, for me, it has always been plug and play and has worked just fine. A turnigy 60 is roughly 40 dollars. You can get a suppo 100 for 30!

I will agree the lack of a BEC is a turnoff, and has called the death of my plane (i added an external BEC that caused interference), i've had 5 suppo/supersimple ESCs and they all worked great. I fried one because of reverse polarity in the connector. And i toasted another. But i only burnt it after it had been in a crash, which cracked and vented one of the capacitors. And i still got 40+ flights after the capacitor broke.

So i would recommend the suppos to everyone. But i can see why others would not agree that they are a good choice
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:50 PM
Vancouver
Joined Sep 2003
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwong
Yes you are right, on closer inspection my port side servo failed in flight. It was working as I always do a preflight check.

I just check them as I was going to put the servos into another plane and the starboard side servo is dead. The servo is a HS65.

Cheers,

Gord.
I was flying the far side of the pattern with my stock FJ with a Permax 480 and you blew by me like I was standing still. Then, suddenly you weren't in the pattern anymore. Hmmm, I've got HS65 HBs in mine. I'll have to remember to keep the speed down in the double digits.

I had trouble getting a hand launch yesterday--kept rolling on launch. On closer inspection I found that a couple of the motor screws were loose.

Cheers,
Lar
Digiflier is offline Find More Posts by Digiflier
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:19 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,833 Posts
FlyA123's,
As promised I ran Motocalc when I got home.
Looks like your motor's resistance value is published and I was able to run Motocalc for you.

Thekid3418 is pretty much right on all counts. My numbers are fairly close to his.

In the future you better provide battery specs because it does give different results depending on the battery and it can be a huge difference if we are talking about high AMP levels.

Since you were asking about the 6X5 {which happens to be a high load 3S prop} to be run on 4S and 5S....LOL...the size of your pack was not really needed.

As voltages go up, the prop size needs to be reduced to maintain same AMPs.

State your desired performance level, battery size and ESC specs to get best answers.
EditI had left out the word "answers" above)

I might consider 80A for that 3300KV motor in Funjet along with a good heat sink (regardless of your motor having an internal fan) and a little more AMPs in a Stryker where the motor sits directly in the airflow.

If you are using online simulators, you better make sure that you are not wasting more than 150W inside that motor.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Oct 21, 2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:38 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandy
I was wondeirng if anyone knew of a scaled up Funjet at all? I'm looking at something a little different as a quick build winter project, and I was thinking that my Funjet flies great, it would be really cool as a x2 scale version (Obviously with a more powerful motor!)
Andy:

Take a look at the Multiplex Twister. It is ducted fan and maybe not quite 2X the FJ in size but it is about as big as you can get in quick assembly foam kits.

See the specs at the bottom of this page.

FC

Gryphon: As far is motors go there is a practical limit to how much power you can pump through them even with a heat sink before you cannot transfer the waste heat fast enough to keep the internal temperature from climbing and eventually causing the magnets to permanently losing their magnetism.

If you are pushing the envelope with power you are on the "bleeding edge" and that is going to cost some serious $$$$ when you push too far. Speed costs money. More speed costs cubic money.
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Last edited by FoamCrusher; Oct 20, 2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:01 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,833 Posts
FoamCrusher,

I understand and agree with you.

150W loss in that motor is not that risky...I did ask him to try and stay under that number.

When going after max power: I try to aim for up to 180W loss or so in 480 MEGA 16/25/X, they don't run hot and live long lives.

his 1107 is 1/2 size smaller internally than 1110 NEU which is a 480 size.
Also 1107 and 1110 have same external size...and that 1107 has a built in fan inside the case.

NEU Motors are top shelf

My Stryker battery costs $290 without tax or shipping or 6mm bullet connectors...so I do understand CUBIC money...LOL...
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Oct 21, 2008, 01:30 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
A couple of quck Q's, guys:

Would a set of Hitec HS-65s be good servos for high speed (130mph) flying? is there a cheaper (though still reliable) alternative?

What's a good heat sink for a 28mm Arc 28-47-2?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Oct 21, 2008, 05:15 PM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,495 Posts
Repost with Prop included...

Hiya. I'm planning a Funjet with an Arc 28-47-2 and a Plush 60A ESC on 4S and a APC 6 X 5.5 prop. Just wondering what's the best C and mAh to balance batt life/weight/power?

I have some 18C 4S 2200mAh batts already, will 18C cope?
skaffen is offline Find More Posts by skaffen
Old Oct 21, 2008, 05:29 PM
Fast Foamer
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaffen
Repost with Prop included...

Hiya. I'm planning a Funjet with an Arc 28-47-2 and a Plush 60A ESC on 4S and a APC 6 X 5.5 prop. Just wondering what's the best C and mAh to balance batt life/weight/power?

I have some 18C 4S 2200mAh batts already, will 18C cope?
Mine pulls around 45A with a 6x4 so you're going to be pulling approx. 50A WOT with that prop (I'm guesstimating). 18C pack will do maybe 40A in short bursts (guesstimating again)...
they'll work but your going to flatten those packs if you push them. I think you'll need 20C at a minimum for max performance.

Paul
pcliftonjr is offline Find More Posts by pcliftonjr
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:41 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38
Would a set of Hitec HS-65s be good servos for high speed (130mph) flying? is there a cheaper (though still reliable) alternative?
If you any illusion of control at that speed then cheap is not what you want....you want torque as in holding power and good repeat centering. That comes from digital servos. I have been using either Futaba S3154 (8 gram and 31 oz of torque) or Hitec HS-5125MG thin wing servos (24 gram & 49 oz) in various planes up to 3 meter wing span gliders, depending upon the strength required...but neither of them are cheap. I get these from ServoCity.com. When you have a couple of hundred in the bare plane saving a few bucks by using cheap servos IMHO is not smart.

OTOH, my 90+ mph FJ has Chinese clone digitals and they seem to do alright - see Hobby City for various options. Something in the 12 - 18 gram size should be sufficient. I just bought four of these and they work fine on the bench but I have not had them long enough to speak to their durability. If they hold up at only $14@ they are a steal. They are going into a 134" wing span balsa built up electric sailplane.

BTW, after you get into the 90 mph range the stock foam elevons are less than useless since they twist off rather than deflect the air, particularly when the elevon is driven from one end rather than closer to the middle. I have seen people blame the servo when it was actually a soft elevon that caused the problem. Hard balsa aileron stock or a balsa/CF/balsa epoxied sandwich elevon is almost required to maintain any kind of control at high speeds.

FC
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Closed Thread