HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 16, 2008, 05:14 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingwrecker
My FJ was the straightest flying plane I've ever owned. Did you check your lateral balance?
Agreed; All 3 of my Fj's have been straight as an arrow in flight, but they needed balancing just as Wingwrecker said. The 2 fast ones torque rolled slightly from launch, but the lightweight version doesn't even do that.
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2008, 07:00 AM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,371 Posts
EyeFly
Don't give up find teh problem because there is one. this thing is very stable when setup right. I use a 6x5 prop and have no torque roll probs. Something is wrong find what it is and you will enjoy the airplane.
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Oct 16, 2008, 08:29 AM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twang
EyeFly
Don't give up find teh problem because there is one. this thing is very stable when setup right. I use a 6x5 prop and have no torque roll probs. Something is wrong find what it is and you will enjoy the airplane.
Agree whole heartedly!

The FJ is my favorite plane. Try a few smaller props and see if you still have the problems, once you get it dialed in you will love it too.

What motor and battery setup are you using?
Zeta30 is offline Find More Posts by Zeta30
Old Oct 16, 2008, 05:04 PM
Warsaw - Poland
Joined Oct 2006
135 Posts
I am building my second fun jet at the moment. Want to go with 5s 3700 setup. Which motor would you recommend? I have searched this thread but it is soooo long that you can't really find a good reply for this queastion.

Pawel
alchemique is offline Find More Posts by alchemique
Old Oct 16, 2008, 05:15 PM
Fast Foamer
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemique
I am building my second fun jet at the moment. Want to go with 5s 3700 setup. Which motor would you recommend? I have searched this thread but it is soooo long that you can't really find a good reply for this queastion.

Pawel
I'd recommend a ARC 28-47-2 from lightflightrc.com. They have a thread with loads of performance info:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...630759&page=84

I've got one in my FunJet running at 4S and it's pulling a reasonable 40A/600W WOT. I think it would still be battery safe at 5S.

Paul
pcliftonjr is offline Find More Posts by pcliftonjr
Old Oct 16, 2008, 05:22 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
what is lateral balance?
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
Old Oct 16, 2008, 05:24 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeFlyPlanes
what is lateral balance?
From 'wing tip to wing tip' as opposed to 'nose to tail' as in the CG.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 05:48 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
and where is that supposed to b? How do u measure?
Old Oct 16, 2008, 06:03 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeFlyPlanes
and where is that supposed to b? How do u measure?
If the plane is balanced from nose to tail between your finger tips both wings should remain level. If one wing drops, weight should be added to the other to restore the balance. That is lateral balance.

Hope that makes sense.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 06:09 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,069 Posts
Another way to 'cheat' the torque is to program in a little aileron (opposite direction of the torque) with throttle. I'd recommend first trimming the plane for level wings with power off, then program a little corrective aileron with application of throttle. You'll have to 'hit and miss' the mix settings, so start with a small percentage (<5%) and go from there.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2008, 06:22 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,882 Posts
Also, the ailerons should line up with the 2 inner reflexed trailing edges and not be offset in any way.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 08:24 PM
Fly by Night
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
870 Posts
I got tired of the stock motor mount breaking on me so I tried a stick mount from carbon fiber (SS fuse) with an E-flite stick mount. Gorilla glued it in to the fuse. So far its doing great even with the 400W turnigy motor. I can try to post pics if anyone's interested.
jteplane is online now Find More Posts by jteplane
Old Oct 16, 2008, 09:33 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jteplane
I got tired of the stock motor mount breaking on me so I tried a stick mount from carbon fiber (SS fuse) with an E-flite stick mount. Gorilla glued it in to the fuse. So far its doing great even with the 400W turnigy motor. I can try to post pics if anyone's interested.
Post it!
Old Oct 16, 2008, 09:40 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
Another way to 'cheat' the torque is to program in a little aileron (opposite direction of the torque) with throttle. I'd recommend first trimming the plane for level wings with power off, then program a little corrective aileron with application of throttle. You'll have to 'hit and miss' the mix settings, so start with a small percentage (<5%) and go from there.
Killer idea. I just ordered the futaba 6ex. Hopefully i can do that?

Heres the link............http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPZT8&P=FR

Ok i found my torque problem. It wasnt really a torque problem, at least i dont think so for this particualr issue. When i pull back on the elevons, instead of me gaining alititude it turns me right. SUPER FRUSTRATING!!!

So i checked my servos, both are on the same throw notch. My radio has ATV on it (hitec laser 4) and they are adjusted accordingly. But the left side has more travel than the other.

They are the digital metal gear servos from hobbycity.

I dont know what else to do.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 11:09 PM
doctorbatman
Joined Dec 2007
28 Posts
Hello everyone.
My first post on RC Groups. Just ordered a Funjet yesterday from Advantage Hobby for $71.99 with FREE shipping !
I'm getting tired of gluing depron airplanes every other flight (including safe landings, not just the bad ones). Depron is just too fragile. Last year I got my daughter an Easystar to learn on and we both love it.
For the Funjet I'm planning on using a BP Hobbies 2212-06 2200kv outrunner,6x4 APC prop, 30 Amp speed control, 1500-2100ma lipo, HS-81 servos (I fly full scale and at cruise speed it requires both hands on the stick to overcome aileron stick forces to achieve 90 degree per second roll rate. I want all the servo power available I may need on the Funjet's elevons). What do you guys think of that combo ?

Doc
doctorbatman is offline Find More Posts by doctorbatman
Closed Thread